Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Vintage Alva Studios Museum Replica Moai
Vintage Alva Studios Museum Replica Moai
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 4:08 pm   Permalink

I first saw this in a shop several months ago and finally decided to go back and work a deal to bring him home.

It is a beautiful Easter Island Moai in 2 color tones. This is a replica souvenir made for sale at a museum in Boston. I don't know if they were ever offered elsewhere. The company which produced them was Alva Museum Replicas, Inc. They were actually made at ALVA STUDIOS of New York City to mimic the original Moai which were carved out of the lava quaries on Easter Island or "Rapa Nui". (For anyone who did not already know, the "topknot" or reddish stone came from a different quarry on the island than did the body and head portion of the Moai which explains the diffent color of the stone). This piece is made of a heavy plaster or cement material. It appears to be painted instead of being tinted cement/plaster and the topknot molded as a second piece was affixed with epoxy. The height is 16 inches and the base is 4" x 6". It is marked on the back side of the base with a 1968 date. I did not find this mentioned before on TC nor did I find anything about it while serching the web. I am really glad to add this to my tiki collection!!!
Here are a few photos.

This is the sticker on the bottom of the statue.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 6:01 pm   Permalink

Cool find! Great story behind it.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 12:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-28 16:08, 8FT Tiki wrote:

This is a replica souvenir made for sale at a museum in Boston.

Peabody museum at Harvard.
Quote:

For anyone who did not already know, the "topknot" or reddish stone came from a different quarry on the island than did the body and head portion of the Moai which explains the diffent color of the stone/

Collection of Rapa Nui artifacts at the Peabody
More collection

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-18 17:21 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 2:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the added info Filslash. I clicked on the link and it goes to Harvard not Yale. Not that I would have been able to tell but all the TC alumni from those fine institutions surely would. Anyway, thanks again.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation