FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki tunes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki tunes
kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 3:30 pm   Permalink

Sigh. Remember the "good old days" when we made cassette copies of our friends' records, or made cassette compilations of special mixes for our friends.

Well, you were breaking the law, punk! ;-(

Anyway, I'm sure most of us have an old box of said tapes laying around somewhere. Seriously, I think for every tape I made, I bought many more actual records. I still like to share MP3s of newer/older bands with friends...And, we usually end up buying the CDs of the bands we like.

Maybe the reason record companies are in such a slump right now, is that most current music really sucks!

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Exactly what planet did these arguments take place on? Is there some sort of alternate universe Tiki Central board I am unaware of?

I was refering to posts made 6 months ago, so yeah, it's a Tiki Central you're not aware of.

It occured in several other threads a while back. You weren't involved in them, I don't think. There was a lot of drama involved in it though. At the time there was as many people laughing about it as was crying about it. I think most are laughing about it now. It was interesting, I thought.

Quote:
therefore I can only ascertain that this entire "silly" person A, person B scenario only happened in your head.

Does that sound about right there Hanford? Eh?

Man, the tone of your post has me a bit bothered. You do realize there's 19,000 posts on the board, and that this thread isn't the first mention of Mp3 on it, correct? I never said person A was you. I never said person B was Swanky. I never directed anything towards this topic specifically as much as copyright infringement in general. I didn't lock the topic, I didn't ask anyone to not trade, and I didn't ask people to take the conversation off of Tiki Central. I didn't call anyone names, and I think the harshest word I used was "silly". Your attitude is largely unwarranted, I believe.

My opinions on Mp3 trading are underrepresented here and I enjoy discussing it whenever it comes up. Swanky and I have had interesting debates about it before. But it is never with distaste or disrespect towards anyone here.

Respectfully,

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 5:24 pm   Permalink

Hi Chongolio,

Firstly, sorry about boffing your name up. I really hate it when other people do that. I'm really mad for doing it myself, too. Sorry.

I think there are other solutions than to just change the law. The "Industry" has a lot of power. The "Industry" decided everyone was going to own CDs instead of albums. The "Industry" decided we were going to be watching DVDs.

I would not be suprised if in 5 years from now the "Industry" decides that you won't be able to buy a "normal" CD anymore because they're too easy to pirate. You can only buy encrypted ones that take new players to listen to. The "Industry" has a perfectly legitimate reason to make the switch, too: CDs are too easy to copy.

Will it stop piracy? No, of course not. It will probably do a good job of pushing it out to the fringes, though, which is all they hope to do right now.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Today, people (kids mostly) act like there's nothing wrong with copying music. The respect of the copyright holders is missing.

Then we get arguments on Tiki Central where Person A is mad at person B becuase Person A will only bootleg for trade, while Person B wants cold-hard cash for his bootlegs. And Person A feels so much more justified in their bootlegging. It's silly!

I think one could easily understand why I would take offense to that statement given the direction this thread has taken. I mean really, all I wanted to do was trade copies of some cool old albums for anything tiki someone might be willing to part with, and look what it turned into.

I apologize for getting so riled there but you couldn't really expect me to search the archives to prepare for this copyright infringement topic. I really didn't imagine I was the first to ever offer up burned copies of out of print records here. I assumed it was probably quite common, which is the very reason why I chose to put up a post. As I said before, my intention was to share the music with like minded others and maybe get some duplicate mugs for the effort and expense. That is really it in a nutshell.

So, I apologize for my part in the misunderstanding. I'm really a very low key person, but if you go back and read your comments I'm sure you could see where they could easily be taken as an attack on me.

Once again the internet form of discussion falls victim to lack of tone and the inability to engage in anything other than a "tit for tat" type of conversation.

-sigh-

pele

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 6:25 pm   Permalink

Yup, thats why I usually keep out these heavy topic discussions. There is too much room for error and misunderstanding. Let's all give a hug, get a drink and shut the hell up.

Chumholio

P.S If Hanford's predictions are right, We better burn em if we got em, hee-hee!

Kumai! Kumai! Ka nalu nou mai Kahiki mai, Alo poi pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue, Hue! Kaiko Loa.

[ This Message was edited by: chongolio on 2003-01-14 18:41 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 6:39 pm   Permalink

Hey Kingslod,
I remember those homemade tape comp days. That is also what made Napster pretty nifty. I found a lot of old stuff I would never go out and buy again but enjoyed listening to. Most of my punk tapes and vinyl did not survive my vagabond era. I held onto a lot of old flyers though.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 7:15 pm   Permalink

Well, I'm not quite sure what others think happened in this thread. I mean, no one got "busted", there hasn't really been any name calling (although some misunderstanding created a little bit of tension, perhaps), the thread has not been shut down. I never asked Chongolio to stop trading, or you. I tried very hard to leave my concepts and examples abstract, and just to have a debate about the subject in general, because thatís what it is to me. I didnít think I was going to change anyoneís mind or force anyone to go ďundergroundĒ LOL.

I donít know if people feel they canít discuss mp3 Trading on Tiki Central. I donít know if thatís the feeling you got, Pele. You can. We all can. Like I said, itís been discussed many times before, and it will come up again. There will be varying opinions on it.
But if anyone here wants to have a discussion regarding a controversial topic without any dissention or varying opinions, thatís simply not going to happen (be it MP3 trading or putting ďShagĒ in your ebay listings ). People are vocal here ó itís what the board is all about. Iím not saying anyone was expecting that, but I just want it to be clear.

~Hanford

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 9:25 pm   Permalink

I've been following this thread, and maybe I missed it, but does anyone like reggae? I mean if you look at some Ku style tikis they look like they're wearing dreadlocks. Unfortunately there's not a lot of variety within reggae. Bob Marley, Peter Tosh......OH, check out Putumayo World Music at http://www.putumayo.com. Classic and contemporary reggae. I spin off in la la land when I hear "Midnight in Ethiopia" by rico. It's one of the hottest instrumentals I've ever heard.

I have yet to hear Denny Martin or Arthur Lyman and some of the others mentioned here, but definitely will be looking for those. Bought Preston Epps-Bongo Rock CD out of Tiki News. I do believe some of the sounds on it were "borrowed" by the Safaris and other surf musicians back in the days. I actually found a Dick Dale and the Delltones CD up here in a Wherehouse store not long ago. Love the "wet" sound. Thanks ya'll for turnin' me on to Tiki Tunes.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-01-14 21:26 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 9:51 pm   Permalink

One more thing. You can listen to samples of the music on www.putumayo.com For "Midnight in Ethiopia" click on "Order On-line", then click "Caribbean", then click "Jamaica". You'll find your choices on the right side.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-01-14 21:52 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 10:54 pm   Permalink

Wow! I hate to say it again but... I'm really impressed by the vast majority of the folks in this crowd. I'm new in here and, so, to discover this thread and follow it this far has been a good experience. Everyone has made good points, most have remained civil throughout, and all opinions seem to have been seriously considered and thoughtfully addressed.
I take my Fez off to Hanford for running such a good show (or letting such a good show run, as the case may be).
Reggae is an interesting subject, JungleTrader. I'm sure most of the people on this forum appreciate it for what it is and such, but reggae is a Carribean Art Form. Tiki is more anchored in Polynesia (as a visual reference) and Alchohol (as a reference distorter). The music that most Tikifiles choose to provide a soundtrack to their lives is Exotica. Even the "Hawaiian Music" that Pele was, until recently, offering for trade might fit more for a Kid's Backyard Birthday Luaua than a serious Tiki Cocktail Party.
Exotica music has little or nothing to do with Hawaiian Folk Music. It's basically a form of American Jazz/Swing/Big Band with a bit more percussion in some places and a tendency toward more "exotic" melodies overall. The Music is American. The Drinks were developed in bars from Singapore to Paris (moving Eastward, at that!). The Tiki, however, is Polynesian. That being said, Tiki Music can easily include some Reggae, some Punk, some Surf,... Country, perhaps? Hmmmmmmmmm... (Junior Brown does a really nice "Lovely Hula Hands") But it's Base is in Exotica Lounge.
Oops! I just spouted, didn't I?

[ This Message was edited by: Traitor Vic on 2003-01-14 22:57 ]

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Hattie

Posted: 2003-01-15 04:00 am   Permalink

hello Tikicentral! I am new here (writing from Australia)- in fact, this is my first post. What a cool forum.

I have been sort of following this thread and thought I'd draw your attention to an excellent
website - which I've only recently discovered - where you can trade for all sorts of music including tiki-tunes. The site doesn't exactly promote copying & trading mixes, but there's nothing to stop anyone from doing so...

Some "tiki-inspired" mixes that may be of interest, (which I have listened to and recommend): Honolulu how R U?..., Voodoo!!, and my own Limbo Lounge

I apologize in advance if you are already aware of this site. Just happy to share the music...

P.S. Is anyone here from Australia?

View Profile of Hula Hattie Send a personal message to Hula Hattie  Goto the website of Hula Hattie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Ambience
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:32 am   Permalink

I've got that same box set, found it at the DAV for a buck, never been played before!
I collect Hawaiian vinyl, I've got around twenty or so records, all from thrift stores. I've been tempted to pay vinyl freak prices at record stores and e-bay, but I like the thrill of the hunt at thrift stores(cheaper too).
That box set has some decent tunes, all the standards are there, but some of the songs are fairly whitewashed. I guess they wanted to ease mom and pop america into it. Reader's Digest IS the same outfit that edits sex scenes out of books you know.

turn up your speakers and click on this: http://www.dirtyradio.net/~tylero/thrift_store_radio.mp3

View Profile of Captain Ambience Send a personal message to Captain Ambience  Email Captain Ambience Goto the website of Captain Ambience     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:35 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC Hula Hattie and Captain Ambience.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:43 am   Permalink

I am still participating in this thread and still willing to trade a couple Mugs and decals to Pele for copies of her records. I read somewhere else on the board that Pirates are kinda tiki. Arrgh!

I like reggae, it gives off a nice island vibe. Mostly roots and dub is in my collection. Lee Perry is a genius. Its not Tiki but gives good tropical ambiance. Although, Jamaica, rum, Mai -tais, tiki. Maybe it is tiki? My wahine has turned me onto a lot old Ska. Desmond Decker, the Specials, The Selector, Barrington Levy. The Skatalites, the grandaddies of Reggae, fit perfectly into most tiki hut soundsystems. Mostly, Instro tunes with an amazing Saxophonist who goes by the name of Roland Alphonso. Strictly Roots. I dig the look of the era as well. The Rudies were looking sharp.
Ska, ska, ska! doot doot doot doot doot. Jamaican ska!

i

Chongolio

Kumai! Kumai! Ka nalu nou mai Kahiki mai, Alo poi pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue, Hue! Kaiko Loa.

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-01-15 11:53 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:08 am   Permalink

I have no idea how many Hawaiian/Tahitian/Exotica records we have. We got most at thrift or antique stores for $2 or less each. We don't pass them up for $1 or so, and usually find them in bunchs.

But once you get them home and find the one or two that are really great, then you can go looking for that good copy of it that has no mildew and pay a bit more for a record you know is good.

Honestly, out of the 100+ records we have, I would narrow it down to maybe 10-15 that are really good. I mean good enough to go pay $15-20 for a mint version. The "Hawaiian Holiday" records are mostly good. That removed, leaves just a hand full. The stack of very dull, boring material is very tall. But the covers are sometimes worthy of keeping around.

Which reminds me. One day I need to start making notes on the collection so I don't have to go back and listen to them again to figure out what the gems are...

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation