FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 3:01 pm   Permalink

I say wait. Money is money but time is free.

These new tiles are a step in the next direction. cool.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 11:01 am   Permalink

Very cool designs and technique! The VanTiki Studio Tile Press looks greatly done too, can't wait to see the glaze part, congrats!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 12:59 pm   Permalink

Tiki Tiles? ...I think the jury might be still out on this one !!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tedtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-17 11:19 pm   Permalink

Van, you're a friggin genius! 1st you blow our minds with world class handmade mugs. Now tikitiles. Whats next? The handmade tiki toilet?

View Profile of tedtiki Send a personal message to tedtiki  Email tedtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-17 11:37 pm   Permalink

Looking just fabulous. Great designs on those last ones too.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 1:28 pm   Permalink

I guess not

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2007-02-26 08:48 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-25 6:04 pm   Permalink

Aloha All -

Worked on some new tile sculptures today - the spookedy skull tiles! They are a blend between two of my favorite stylized skulls: tombstone skull carvings of the 17 and 1800's and Mayan skull representations. Here are some shots of the sculptures coming together. Doing 2 at the same time - one has a few teeth missing. Please keep in mind that these are "works-in-progress" shots and that the finished sculpture is a ways off. Enjoy!

They are VERY high relief and I think they'll look fantastic grouted on a wall. Can't wait to get them finished, molded, pressed, glazed, and fired! Whew!

Mahalo for peeking -

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 7:21 pm   Permalink

Neat tiles van tiki!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackFish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-25 8:07 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:14 ]

View Profile of BlackFish Send a personal message to BlackFish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-05 2:20 pm   Permalink

Ladies and Gentlemen, cross your fingers!

Just loaded the first batch of glaze tests into the ol' firebox. 4 different (and new for me) glazes - with 2 additional underglaze variations. Dunno if I got the dipping consistency right - and this is the first time I've used wax resists (as well as the first time firing up to cone 6). Will start the kiln tomorrow morning and proceed to chew off all my fingernails until the sun comes up on Wednesday. I'll post shots of the success/failure then

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 5:42 pm   Permalink

Fingers crossed

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-06 1:09 pm   Permalink

1900 degrees and climbing... . . Man, I wish they put windows on these things!

It is gonna seem like FOREVER waiting till tomorrow morning to open the kiln. must... not... chew.... fingernails....

FlatEarthTrading
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 1:28 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see the skull tiles, I would love to use them in my office!

View Profile of FlatEarthTrading Send a personal message to FlatEarthTrading  Email FlatEarthTrading Goto the website of FlatEarthTrading     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-07 10:41 am   Permalink

Alright-ey!

I cracked open the firebox this morning and found a fresh batch of tiki tile safe and snug on their shelf. The wax resist worked perfectly and none of the glazes crawled and fused to the bottom of the kiln (yaay!). Pleased as punch with the glaze results. Will do a second round of tests to bring out more deep green in the center top and left bottom tiles. I was unhappy with the brown (top left) as I thought it was too shiny for a tile. I do like the color, though, and plan on using it for mug interiors and the like. Funny thing is, as soon as I gathered the tiles together for the photo I liked the brown - in fact I like all the colors together and I think Ms. Vantiki and I may go for a multicolor installation in the bathroom!

Here are 2 angled shots so you can get an idea of the detail depth on the tile:

I'll be doing some more glaze tests this weekend. I did some underglazes on the first batch - but the ovelglaze was too opaque for the colors to show through. I'll try again with some of the lighter glaze colors. Will also glaze some of the smaller tiles, and mold the finished skull tile. Thanks for looking

Henrik (aka VanTiki)

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 1:18 pm   Permalink

I think my favorite glaze color and finish/feel has always been that green that you have on the face tile. Looks almost like aged copper there. But I think that the green /black turned out very nice. Almost like its shimmering green and its nice and even. Even is the trick to making it look like it wasn't an accident. And those wonderful accidents I call them "the hand of God".

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation