FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 3:04 pm   Permalink

Happy to announce this morning was the first day of pressing the Cracked Moai tiles!

I got through half of the 12 Artist's Proofs - and I've settled on an edition size of 50 for the final tiles.

As you may have noticed, the tiles are all *slightly* different! There are a total of 6 mold variations in the edition, so the Moai look nice and natural when lined up together - no glaring repeating crack patterns! I'm testing glazes on saturday, and will be pressing tiles FULL STEAM next week.

I've learned that the larger the tile, the greater the pressure it takes to press them. I have to do a couple of pull ups on the arm of my tile press for each tile. A nice bit of studio cross training!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 3:22 pm   Permalink

Awesome tiles!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 5:33 pm   Permalink

Those are just right.... what are the dimensions of the tiles? (I looked back quickly, am curious). Love the variations, too- can't wait to see them glazed.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 5:43 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Zerostreet!

Tiki Ano, The wet clay tiles are 5"x10" - but they will be shrinking about 10% - they are quite hefty, and they sure eat through my clay pile when pressing them! I, too, can't wait to see them glazed. I loaded the first round of test glazes into the kiln last night - I used 4 of the master tile sculpts for the first round of testing:

I'll use the 12 AP Edition tiles to do the final dial-in on the glaze. I'm applying the glaze with a spray-gun, as the tiles are big and I want to avoid any un-evenness due to brushing. Some of these glazes promise a nice break over textured surfaces - but we shall see what they do in my kiln on Saturday.

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-22 10:19 pm   Permalink

Looks great Henrik. I especially like the one with the big cracks and the hunks missing. (first pic, left side)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-22 10:36 pm   Permalink

Those cracks look so real that I have to ask...do they go all the way through?

Your projects are always different and fun. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-22 10:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-22 15:04, VanTiki wrote:
I've learned that the larger the tile, the greater the pressure it takes to press them. I have to do a couple of pull ups on the arm of my tile press for each tile. A nice bit of studio cross training!

A lot easier on the arms pouring slip.

Goodlooking stuff, dude! GROG like.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-23 06:52 am   Permalink

Thanks for stopping by the other day.
I always enjoy seeing your tiles & mugs.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 12:21 pm   Permalink

Mahalo everyone!

Mike - these have chunks missing as they were the master sculpts, and suffered damage when I pulled them out of the molds. I just cut away the messed up parts and blended the missing areas into the cracks

Wendy - the cracks are for show only Although I did get a bit of cracking on the underside of this first batch. I did a fast glaze fire, and I think I need to do a slower program in the future. I also need to put a sprinkling of grog on the shelves to help these heavy tiles slide around during the firing.

Grog - that slipcasting stuff is WAAAY too complicated!

Will Carve - my pleasure! I love seeing what is taking shape in the carving threads.

And now the update:

SO, you should all know that I HATE glazing. I am a control freak, and there is noting I hate more than spending tons of time on a sculpture only to cover it with something that *may* make it even better or *may* fill in all the detail and look atrocious.

Sadly, glaze test round one fell mostly in the latter category. I want the Cracked Moai to look like stone - but I also want interesting color. I tired a range of glazes that were supposed to have a satin or matte finish,and that would "break" over textured areas (meaning they would shift color or intensity around areas of texture). When I opened the kiln, I was sad:

THe glazes on all 4 tiles were too shiny, too think, and overall too icky. I do like the feel of the brown glaze (2nd from the left) for a future mug - but not here. The satin turquoise on my whale shelf did turn out great, and I also LOVE the satin clear glaze over underglaze washes on the 2 pendants. I think that my be the direction I go with the Moai.

Mahalo for looking =
Henrik "VanTiki"

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-25 12:58 pm   Permalink

GROG HATE GLAZING TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GROG sympathize with you, Henrik.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-25 2:55 pm   Permalink

"Hate" is such a strong word, but glazing definitely seems to be the process with the least control. I think you should try the foil saggar firing

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 03:34 am   Permalink

Tiles look great, man. Makes me wish I had a tiki kitchen to have these as part of a large tile mosaic.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 1:45 pm   Permalink

Am I the only one who enjoys the insecurity of glazing? Oh well. Henrik, I look forward to seeing more, trusting whatever the final glaze choices will look great. (I do like the look of the blue tiles- though I can see how they look a bit different from your non-glossy work. I love the whale shelf, too!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 02:32 am   Permalink

I actually really like the color of the far right one from what I can see of the photo....for what it's worth.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-24 1:16 pm   Permalink

Wanted to toot my Tiki Horn: Adobe has made vantiki.com the featured site of the day! Super stoked!

http://muse.adobe.com/site-of-the-day

In other news, I landed a bunch of animated commercial contracts - hence the quiet clay studio. Hope to get the glaze tests up and running again this weekend.

Henrik "VanTiki"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation