FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-30 12:31 pm   Permalink

TikiTacky - Mahalo! I had to look up Walter White, and I'm.... flattered? Disturbed?

MadDog & VampiressRN - mahalo! I'm picking up 50lbs of clay today for more pressing on sunday. AND I just may be sculpting a new pendant design I've been mulling over for the past few weeks.

TikiAno - VanTiki island scientists are not able to comment at this time on the developing news released on Facebook

Grog - I want to bake cookies every time I press tiles. I am also tempted to take a bite out of the pendants when they are on the tray. But keep in mind, I used to eat Play Doh™.

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 6:02 pm   Permalink

After an intense week of animation, I was able to make a break for it and push some clay in the studio!

I wanted to tackle a new pendant design I've been mentally sculpting for a while now - I call it: The Idol X-Ray. Ever wonder what is inside those ancient stone deities collecting moss in the deep, dark jungles? What if you dropped your Amulet Of Protection on the ground, and where the stone chipped away you made a startling discovery?

Here is the pendant taking shape in ANIMATION-VISION

And finally, the finished sculpt. It is about 2.75" tall, and 2" wide. It will shrink 10% by the time it is molded, pressed, and fired. I'm looking forward to the contrast of ivory bone against grey black stone! Pulling molds this afternoon!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-04 6:07 pm   Permalink

Very cool lookin!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 08:18 am   Permalink

That came out really great ! I love the concept.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 12:04 pm   Permalink

Mahalo lunavideogames & SandraDee!

I was able to snap a mold yesterday afternoon. Final cleanup and undercut check on the sculpt:

Foam Core & hot glue mold box setup:

Celebratory Dark n' Stormy:

And this morning I popped the cured plaster mold off of the clay sculpture:

It de-molded cleanly, and I was able to pour a second mold this morning. Hopefully I can get one (or better yet, 2 more) molds off of the original sculpture before it breaks apart. More molds = more pendants when it comes time to press them

Mahalo for looking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2013-06-05 12:26 ]

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 06:53 am   Permalink

Very well deserved Dark & Stormy. Love the new sculpt.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
anthonymaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 08:05 am   Permalink

Don't know how i have never seen this thread before but your work sir in incredible!
Thank you for the inspiration and hope to some day remodel something and be able
to use some of your awesome art work.

Mahalo

View Profile of anthonymaye Send a personal message to anthonymaye  Email anthonymaye Goto the website of anthonymaye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 11:35 am   Permalink

Mahalo littlegiles! - A Dark n' Stormy is about the limit of my cocktail making ability. Thankfully I find them very tasty

anthonymaye Glad you stumbled upon the thread! Perhaps you can make a tile (or two) of your own when you start remodeling!

Kiln is cooking away in the studio as I type. Stuffed to the gills - here is a shot of the 4 stacks:

Mahalo for looking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 1:22 pm   Permalink

Henrik, love the new piece, and the impressive Tetris-packing of the kiln.

The Dark and Stormy looked good- as well as the Swizzler!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-06 1:58 pm   Permalink

You can put more in your kiln.

You can stack greenware on top of each other. They won't stick together when bisque-fired. (Unless you put underglaze on them.)

So, you can stack your small pendants on your tiles and you have room for more.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 2:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-06 13:58, GROG wrote:
You can stack greenware on top of each other. They won't stick together when bisque-fired. (Unless you put underglaze on them.)
So, you can stack your small pendants on your tiles and you have room for more.

True - but I really worry about warping. For my smaller pendants I could probably get away with it, but I feel better keeping all flat pieces well supported on a flat shelf. Perhaps a needless precaution - but I'd rather be safe than warped

I usually don't have a problem fitting pendants in the kiln (they are small and pack together nicely) - it is the tiles that really eat up shelf space. I have a few that didn't make it in this load (partly because they wouldn't fit, and partly because they were still a bit too damp). They are too big to stack on each other while firing.

Henrik "VanTiki"

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-06 3:08 pm   Permalink

Love that new pendant sculpt. You do make those press molds quite thick

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 5:19 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Mad Dog!

I do like to make the molds thick. It may be a throwback from my mold making days in Hollywood - production molds made to take abuse and not crack. I want to be sure there is a good 2" of plaster between my tile press arm and the press base. The molds you see of the new pendant are 5.5"x6"x2.5"

Frank Giorgini, author of Handmade Tiles (the go-to source for all things tile) always sets up his molds with 2" of thickness from the highest point of the sculpted tile and 2" around the edges. I've followed his lead and haven't had a mold crack (yet - knock on coconut). The tile press puts quite a bit of pressure on the molds.

Henrik "VanTiki"

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 8:48 pm   Permalink

Yes! Love seeing our mugs hidden amongst the VanTiki island goodies.

Hoping they (and the rest) come out fine!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 10:49 pm   Permalink

I loved the steps being shown on top of each other in a slide show form. I need to learn that. The necklace is great. We are looking forward to seeing you at Oasis. Great work as always, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation