FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Ebay auction record for Shag print?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Ebay auction record for Shag print?
SoBeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-10 08:20 am   Permalink

I'm guessing this Shag print may fetch the highest price yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20148&item=935796385

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-10 08:36 am   Permalink

Dunno we got 2 more days to see. A Vice Monkeys print took $1,250 a few months ago. I don't remember what that Departure/Layover/Arrival print took in.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-12 2:14 pm   Permalink

In April, 2002 a Departure/Layover/Arrival print went for $1900 according to mig in this thread. That's the record I'd guess.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-13 06:20 am   Permalink

I guess this proves why I'm not working for Antique Roadshow or Sotheby's

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heatmizuh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-14 12:03 pm   Permalink

Well, I've been keeping track of Shag auctions since late November, and the highest I've tracked is Blue Scooter at $1,225.00 as the highest so far. I have also seen others go higher, but I wasn't collecting data back then.

If you interested in the data, check out :

http://www.heatmizuh.com

View Profile of heatmizuh Send a personal message to heatmizuh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 06:42 am   Permalink

Well here we go. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=360&item=2501256206

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 09:19 am   Permalink

Let's make a game of it. What would you guess that this Departure/Layover/Arrival print will go for? I'll guess $1400.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 09:59 am   Permalink

heatmizuh, nice site. I thought about doing a similar site for Shag prints last fall after seeing one for Simpsons toys, (see site here) but I'm too lazy and non-techno-savvy.

The thing that I especially like about the Simpsons site I linked to is that it keeps track of trends in the pricing as well rather than just the highest price ever paid, but that may be a difficult feature to program, I don't know.

Will your site begin updating daily soon? Are there other features you plan to add?

[ This Message was edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2003-01-15 10:01 ]

heatmizuh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:31 am   Permalink

If you click on a particular print name, it will show you the historical data for that print. The system is completely automated, so it's pretty much hands off for me.

The only thing I do add to the site is the parameters for newly released prints.

If you're interested in how it works, the FAQ might be a good place to start.

The one thing I will be adding shortly is pricing graphs for each print, so you can 'visually' see trends over time.

View Profile of heatmizuh Send a personal message to heatmizuh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:42 am   Permalink

The auto-updating seems to be delayed. Shouldn't this auction on 1/11 be listed as the highest for DEATH'S UNENDING VACATION? The 2001 print SEPIK EXPLORER is also missing from list despite a recent sale.

The FAQ and site info was helpful though. Again great site.

Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:42 am   Permalink

I'll go $1600. I see your really busy at work too Chris

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2003-01-15 10:43 ]

Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:49 am   Permalink

Hey, I only post during morning coffee, midmorning snack, lunch, nap, afternoon-snack, or recess.

mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:21 am   Permalink

Here's the scoop on past Departure/Stopover/Arrival sales... and also info about the trend of Shag print prices in general. (People tracking Shag auctions, I keep meaning to give you this info, so here it is!)

In April 2002, a copy of it went for $1900 (and if I remember, it was either $1895, or $1900 even). It had been a few hundred dollars lower than that; but two bidders drove the price WAY up in the last two minutes.

April 2002 was in the early season of high Shag print prices on eBay. Before about March 2002, Shag prints weren't as prolific on eBay. (You could do a search and maybe find one, if any at all.) A few started cropping up in February-- which is about when Shag really started to become popular-- and then in March the Shags on eBay started to bloom. In April there were a lot; and the prices were starting to go up. Prices of $350-$600 were not uncommon... and a lot of the auctions were by print clearing houses that were trying to capitalize on the craze. Then the $1900 Departure/Stopover/Arrival happened and blew the lid off it all.

Upon seeing that one sell ($1900), I decided I would rather have a similar amount of money than my own copy of D/S/A, which had been rolled up in a tube for a couple years.

Prices for Shags peaked in May/early June. As they started to slow down a bit in June, I decided I needed to get off my ass and list mine-- so I listed mine in early July.

According to discussion here-- we were all very curious to see how much it would go for. As it was not just a print, but an Artist's Proof-- one of, to the best of our knowledge in Tiki Central, only two in existence for this print-- I had serious dollar signs in my eyes. I made sure to very prominently mention its uniqueness in the auction. (Incidentally, the other a.p. for this is owned by Monkeygod.)

I put mine on eBay, with a reserve of $1498... and hoped that it would actually go higher than $2000, since it was even more rare than the one that went for $1900.

The price crept up, but wouldn't go above about $1100 or $1200, even up to the last minutes. In the last few minutes, someone bid $1500, and got it.

The person that got it actually lived 5 minutes from my house-- which saved a lot of trouble trying to ship it-- so I delivered it to him. (I told him about TikiCentral too-- he was interested! Although I never found out if he joined.) I gave him a break on the price because of saving me the trouble, plus he gave me a money order rather than a check.

The buyer filled in all the blanks for me: for the D/S/A that went for $1900, he had been outbid at the very last minute... by someone (I'll call him "Mr. X") who, if I remember his explanation right, seemed to have a weird niche he was going for: Mr. X seemed to only like Shag prints that had the Dr. Zaius character, but he would pay seriously top dollar for them... Mr. X had, in the few weeks prior to the $1900 bid, won another eBay auction for a Dr. Zaius Shag print and it had gone for a very significant amount of money. (I don't remember how much... but it was one of the highest ones at the time.)

So where are Shag prints at now? After about July, prices started falling... I'm guessing that this coincided with the sudden increase in all sorts of Shag merch. (At first, you could only get prints, at $100+... but once all the greeting cards, etc. came out, that probably satisfied the average person, leaving prints to the realm of the hardcores.)

Currently, there are fewer and fewer Shag prints up on eBay... and they are not nearly going for the money that they once were. They are still going for $150-$300 or so... but it seems like we're pretty well past the days of the $500-$700 Shag prints.

That "original painting owners only" one is great-- not only quite rare because of that, but it's also a gorgeous print. Can't wait to see how much it goes for. I also can't wait to see how much the D/S/A goes for.

Kind of long-winded-- thanks for reading my old war stories.

-mig

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:27 am   Permalink

Clarification to a point in my previous message: I said that we're "past the days of the $500-$700 Shag prints".

What I meant is: some of them are still going for prices like that... but those are the really rare or really cool ones. But it's more common to see them in the $150-$300 range.

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 1:42 pm   Permalink

Mig,
Interesting observation. This story just adds another reason why to not trust eBay as a reliable pricing source. Sometimes there's a personal story as to why people pay so much for an item - which ends up skewing what the real market value of that item is.

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-01-15 13:43 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation