FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's to open in Florida!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Trader Vic's to open in Florida!
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 11:11 am   Permalink

My Dad (who lives 10 minutes from Destin) just received this email from Trader Vic's. It ain't much, but it does whet the appetite, yes?

COMING SOON TO DESTIN , FL

…INVENTORS OF THE MAI TAI DRINK

…ESCAPE INTO AN EXOTIC ATMOSPHERE

…HAVE A TASTE OF LEGENDARY TRADER VIC’S STYLE FOOD AND TROPICAL DRINKS

TO BE CONTINUED…

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackFish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-02 11:49 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:26 ]

View Profile of BlackFish Send a personal message to BlackFish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 3:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-02 11:49, BlackFish wrote:
Thanks tikiarch and welcome to what we affectionately call the Redneck Riviera.

Or L. A. -- Lower Alabama.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 08:40 am   Permalink

So I am not the only one who has been anxiously following the news of a TV in Destin! Only two hours from me! WooHoo! Much closer than Atlanta, so maybe I can get my fix on a more regular basis. Any more concrete news of an opening night? Sounds like for now April 9 is booked for a trip to Destin!

View Profile of SouthBamaTiki Send a personal message to SouthBamaTiki  Email SouthBamaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 11:27 am   Permalink

<<(Cuban music, etc) >>

whollycatsband.com

crazedmugs.com

See you soon.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 2:46 pm   Permalink

"Sounds like for now April 9 is booked for a trip to Destin!"

I have a trip schedulesd for March 31-April 4. PM me if you want to reschedule!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 4:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-04 11:27, pablus wrote:
<<(Cuban music, etc) >>

whollycatsband.com

crazedmugs.com

See you soon.

Now THAT would be worth the price of a couple Mai Tais, a Suffering Bastard and maybe also a Tiki Puka Puka. You go boy...

SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 2:41 pm   Permalink

Called The Palms today and spoke with a lady there who tells me Trader Vic's currently plans to open April 15. Whatever the date, I hope to be there

View Profile of SouthBamaTiki Send a personal message to SouthBamaTiki  Email SouthBamaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 2:25 pm   Permalink

I managed to make it over there earlier today. Interior construction is not nearly as far along as I thought it would be. It's way too early to tell exactly what this place is going to look like, but from what I saw, this is not going to be your father's Trader Vic's. It looks VERY modern. The resort itself is very generic looking with stark white buildings and blue metal roofs (ick). Don't expect a dim and moody interior: the restaurant has floor to ceiling glass walls that look out over the resort. But nighttime should be much nicer.

I don't care for the look of this resort at all. But in their defense (I guess...), it does reflect the architecture of the buildings around it. I just don't care for them either. Like I said, it's too early to tell what kind of atmosphere this Trader Vic's is going to have until we give the construction workers and interior decorators a chance to work their magic. Then I'll be back...

Here are some early pictures:

I would dearly love to rip out those blue awnings and replace them with thatch. And paint this building anything but white.

Here's an outrigger canoe lying on the floor:

TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 2:50 pm   Permalink

April 15... Kinda looky like June 15....

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 7:05 pm   Permalink

They opened April 9, and I missed it...dang...spring break next week, so I guess I will head over then. I'll take pics to post.

Mytah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-12 07:52 am   Permalink

I hope to make the trip next weekend. I've never been to a T.V. before <GASP>...pathetic huh? But I was wondering, do the restaurants generally carry Trader Vics products? or is it strictly mail order?

[ This Message was edited by: Mytah 2007-04-12 10:28 ]

View Profile of Mytah Send a personal message to Mytah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 09:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-11 19:05, SouthBamaTiki wrote:
They opened April 9

Really? The date really snuck up on me. Wondering how it turned out...

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-12 07:52, Mytah wrote:
But I was wondering do the restuarants generally carry Trader Vics products? or is it strictly mail order.

TV Atlanta carries the syrups and mixes. I assume they all do, but I'm not positive. It's still a little cheaper than mail order because you don't have to pay for shipping, but the base price at the restaurant is more than the base mail order price. For example, I think the syrups are $5 each mail order (plus shipping, which can almost double the price), but something like $7.50 at the restaurant. Take a look at the
pictures I posted a while back in the TV Atlanta thread in Locating Tiki and you will see the display cases with the products for sale.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 10:04 am   Permalink

The sign says it is a Mai Tai bar. That means, not a Trader Vic's, but the scaled down version. More emphasis on apps and drinks. Probably a greater emphasis on the aptio area as well and an island resort design rather than our notion of the classic Tiki bar. The website is pretty unappealing. There are good touches though.

Is it really open? I had an offer to go to Destin and passed it up, not thinking about this.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2007-04-12 10:07 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation