FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts soon available!! new! shrunken heads (not the mugs). LATEST PICTURES PER REQUEST!!!! PG.2
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
soon available!! new! shrunken heads (not the mugs). LATEST PICTURES PER REQUEST!!!! PG.2
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 3:36 pm   Permalink

ALOHA!!

I am taking a break from painting. I had to put my other projects on hold to complete four large paintings for the Polynesian Resort Lobby in Walt Disney World. This is another commission I wanted to finish before I continued with more mug designs and paintings for the Thor Stors. However, it's FRIDAY and I wanted to share something new and fun I have been"cook'n up!

Most of you are familiar with the Jivaro shrunken head mugs I sculpted for Holden at Tiki Farm that are now available. They seem to be getting a really good response and I thank all who purchased one. While on the subject of shrunken heads I thought I would give a sneak peek at one of my projects. These are one of a kind, VERY REAL looking shrunken heads like those made by the Jivaro tribes in the Ecuador jungles. No two will be alike. I will hand make each one in the series. I am not certain how many will be available.

Below are a few pictures I took this morning of one in progress. Every detail is reproduced as if they were made by a true headhunter using only the resources of the jungle. Sinew (artificial) sews up the mouth and eyes. Beads are hand made to simulate natural clays of the rivers. Bee's wax and other bone like materials also used as beads. Feathers are naturally lost. I have attained a number of naturally lost feathers from Amazon Parrots as well for future heads. Hair is VERY real looking used for human hair extensions.

I sculpted this head originally in oil clay while studying many photos of actual shrunken heads. I produced a two piece mold of the original and can cast and vulcanize latex reproductions as seen in these pictures. I then seal the latex with acrylic polymer and about 10-15 transparent color glazes of flat acrylic to create a rich, realistic look of preserved human flesh. I have been told by people who bought them from me in the past that people looking at them are so convinced they are real they smell them to see if they detect any odor!!!

Anyway, stay tuned for these. I will sculpt two or three variations on the face features. Some real ones had larger or smaller features. Some will be sculpted to recieve wood or bamboo skewers rather than sinew in lips. Some will have lighter brown hair...others dark ebony hair. Beads and feathers will all vary but will all be VERY authentic. Head will be stuffed with synthetic stuffing but dried grass/moss will protrude from neck the way the real ones were done. They will be mounted on bamboo rods attached to ebony simulated bases.

Have a great weekend!! Hold on to your heads..or they be mine!!!!!

~~~~~~ THOR

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2007-02-07 04:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Thor's 2007-02-22 11:13 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 3:52 pm   Permalink

I could even see this being made for a line of dolls.

Congrats Thor, it seems like you really thought of everything. And looking forward to seeing those painting that you mentioned whenever you are able to post them.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-02 4:01 pm   Permalink

Damn Thor! Just looking at the face is making my lips and eyes hurt. Amazing attention to detail.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-02 5:14 pm   Permalink

That looks great!

Reminds me of my LA FX days when we had to make a bunch of shrunken heads for the movie Relic (a real stinker - but a fun project!). I molded 2 of Ms. VanTiki's wisdom teeth that she had pulled with the roots intact. Made a great accent on the threads that sewed up the heads. I kept telling her that her teeth would be famous - but she wasn't impressed We ended up using those teeth in a ton of films...

PS - years before the above project a good friend of mine was working on another film that needed a shrunken head (aptly titled "Shrunken Heads"). He got to visit Danny Elfman's house to see the real shrunken head he has and photograph it for reference!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 5:23 pm   Permalink

Looks great! Love to get a couple and mount them either side of the front door with a "no salesmen" sign

Is there anything you can't make?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 5:30 pm   Permalink

Incredibly Terrifyingly Shockingly Real!
ZOWIE!
Right on Thors!
Welcome to the Dark Side of Tiki!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-02 6:26 pm   Permalink

VERY creepy and VERY cool!
Thor, you must be balancing out all the "nice" of the Disney project with a little "un-nice" fun!
They look great!

http://youtu.be/7HTCkZXaA

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 6:41 pm   Permalink

Well... I always say..unless you have a wee bit of darkness...you can never see the magic...of the fireworks!!

Hey there Ded1!!.. Aloha!! Yah..the lips sting!! Stay away from fresh limes and salt!

GREAT STORY Van Tiki!! Funny about the teeth!!!

HEY HEWEy!! How are ya BRA!!!

Lil' Lost tiki... I wrote the quote for you!!! I gotta feelin you know the dark side!! Haaaa

Tiki Shark!!! Get back to painting!!!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2007-02-02 19:42 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-02 9:11 pm   Permalink

Very scary indeed. The skin looks so real!!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiriffic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-04 10:28 am   Permalink

These are the best shrunken head things I've ever seen on TC. If the price is right, I would buy a few of these.

View Profile of tikiriffic Send a personal message to tikiriffic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 11:29 am   Permalink

Thanks Tikiriffic.

I need to look at price a bit. These are pretty unique and handcrafted, so the price will reflect a more "museum quality" sort of product. I may be able to do some less labor intensive ones with a new material I am exploring where the cost is lower.

Glad you like em!! I will share the original sculpt on the next one soon!

~~ THOR

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 2:22 pm   Permalink

I never thought I'd say this about a reproduction of a skin being cut off of a skull, shrunk and hand modeled, but those are beautiful! Looks like the famous one in the museum, nice work!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 6:24 pm   Permalink

HAaaa Thanks Sneaky!!! I guess there is beauty in the least likely of places...eh?? Have a great weekend!!

~~ THOR

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2007-02-04 22:22 ]

scaperman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-06 4:19 pm   Permalink

Thor,Those are really cool they would look great in my backyard

View Profile of scaperman Send a personal message to scaperman  Email scaperman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 04:16 am   Permalink

Here's the latest on these pups. I was excited about these and when I was done painting today at 5PM here I began a new sculpt.( my side project). I got so into it I just stopped...at 3AM and finished!! This is a sculpt done in a material called "super sculpey". It works well for things like this and can be hardened in an oven if desired. From here..(after sleep and my painting responsibilities) I will make a good quality plaster mold. Like a ceramic mug mold, this will allow latex to be filled and drained to coat the mold. It will be heat dried (vulcanized) to make a durable, hollow reproduction. I will carefully glaze with acrylic washes and sealers and accessories like this other one you see. More variations to be sculpted soon...some more characterized with bone in nose, skewers..etc. These will BLOW AWAY your guests at your exotica bars..GARANTEED!!!!

Mahalo!!! THOR

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation