[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kalua Pork
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kalua Pork
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-03 5:56 pm   Permalink

I just got a nice little book today "Hawaii's Best Tropical Food & Drinks" and it has what looks like a very easy recipe for Kalua Pork. Take a peek at it and let me know if any of you chefs out there have additional tips. (I am cooking challenged.....but willing to try!!!)

Boneless Pork Raost
Liquid Smoke
2-3 large cloves of garlic minced (can I use prepared garlic???)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons rum
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 small jar strained peaches-baby food
3 ounces chopped macadamia nuts

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Brush roast with liquid smoke and garlic; sear in oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 275 degrees. Combine soy sauce and chili powder. Brush on roast, insert meat thermometer and roast until medium well. Combine butter, rum, brown sugar and peaches in a small saucepan and stir constantly until melted. Brush over roast and sprinkle with nuts. Continue cooking 10 to 15 minutes. Slice and serve.

SOUNDS YUMMY!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thistle
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-03 6:13 pm   Permalink

I've never tasted authentic kalua pork,but it sounds a little sweet to me. Good pork, well-roasted, has a sweetness of its own, that lends itself to all sorts of accompniments. I like to smoke a Boston butt or picnic ham in my electric smoker, for several hours, & usually just s&p them-then I shred it, top some w/ a carolina bbq sauce (lots of vinegar), my kids like it plain. It's good on biscuits, w/ sides of greens & cornbread, topping a salad, tossed w mac n' cheese. I think your pork recipe would be better if you simplified the pork, then did fruit & nuts on the side, as a chutney or topping,-I love soy & garlic, though...!

View Profile of thistle Send a personal message to thistle  Email thistle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 06:01 am   Permalink

That sounds delicious, but it's not kalua pig as I know it. Kalua pig is a smokey pulled pork, often mixed with cabbage, and served with rice - that's the normal plate lunch type presentation. It's not sweetened, fancy, or sprinkled with mac nuts.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 06:37 am   Permalink

It's usually spelled 'Kahlua Pork" to help with how you pronounce it; the real recipe, very easy to make in a cooking bag -

Kahlua Pork

Large Pork Shoulder
1 tsp. Liquid Smoke
1 tblsp. Chunky Salt
1 can Chicken Broth
3 Tblsp. Aloha Shoyu (or light soy sauce)
1/4 Head of Red Cabbage
1 Cooking Bag, 'Roast' Size

Trim the fat from the pork. Place it, the chicken broth, salt and the liquid smoke in the cooking bag, (buy it in the Saran Wrap section of your grocery) pierce the top of the bag with a few tiny holes, and bake in a cooking pan for 3 1/2 hours at 325°. (Turn over at 1 1/2 hours, to moisten it, then rotate again at 3 hours) At 3 1/2 hours, turn the oven to its lowest setting, 125° and let the pork sit for another 2 hours. Then turn the oven off, but don’t open the door, and let it sit for another 2 hours in the juices. The pork should fall apart easily at the end; just flake with a fork. Slice the cabbage thinly and mix with the Aloha Shoyu into the pork with chunks of pineapple for decoration.

Yup, it's 7 1/2 to 8 hours cooking time, but that's the point. It mimics true pit-roasted pork that slowly cooks for 24 hours sometimes. The whole thing should be soft, juicy, and just fall apart in your mouth at the end. Serve with rice. You can serve a large party with this stuff.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-04 10:53 am   Permalink

That cooking bag sounds like the ticket. I wonder if the recipe I posted was spelled that way because it is not the traditional Kahlua pork....interesting....but all of this is making me hungry. What is Hawaiian salt? I have Sea Salt, but it is from the Mediterranean.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 2:10 pm   Permalink

Salt is salt. Don't sweat the details, V.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-05 01:05 am   Permalink

Cammo, Cammo - Kahlua is a Mexican coffee liqueur - kalua is the pig from the imu. Your recipe sounds great, and that long cooking time makes sense. But to be more authentical, use regular green head cabbage.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-05 06:29 am   Permalink

What is pig from the imu? Sorry for the dumb question.

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-05 07:10 am   Permalink

I've found it spelled both ways, and always go for the more phonetic spelling (why isn't 'phonetic' spelled the way it sounds?!) - and yes you usually use green cabbage, but "Ono's", a local restaurant here uses red. They slice it paper thin, and actually quickly stir-fry it with a touch of brown sugar and soy sauce before adding it to the pork. It's freakin' yummy, and looks brighter. It's a matter of taste.

Hey, if you have sea salt or pink Hawaiian salt, sprinkle a bit on top at the end for taste and decor. Dig in.

mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-05 4:34 pm   Permalink

My cousin-in-law (is that right?) is from hawaii and made some for us recently. His recipe was basically the same as this:
http://gohawaii.about.com/od/luaurecipes/r/kalua_pig.htm
4-5 lb pork butt, boneless
some hawaiian salt
about 2 tablespoons liquid smoke - enough to rub all over the pork
Heavy duty aluminum foil (no banana or ti leaves, to make it easy)
wrap the pork really tight
As the recipe says, 45 minutes per pound until the temp is ok in the middle (160 for pork?)
He left all the fat on during cooking, but you can remove quite a bit before shredding it.

After cooking, you can add more salt to taste if needed.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-05 10:16 pm   Permalink

VampiressRN - the "imu" is the underground oven into which the pig is placed along with taro root, sweet potatoes, etc., and baked with heated rocks. The whole thing is covered with banana leaves to seal in the heat and moisture, and the food slow cooks for many hours. You've seen photos, I'm sure.

Nowadays, the imu usually consists of a roasting bag and some liquid smoke, but oh well, modern convenience.

frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 07:56 am   Permalink

While I normally applaud authenticity, I like the modern convenience of not having to cook a whole pig, and destroy my backyard to cook it. I like the "imu" I have it's made by Frigidaire, and self cleaning.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-09 05:55 am   Permalink

Thanks Koolau....I found this artical based on your information. imu

tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 08:10 am   Permalink

For those of us who are a bit more "time challenged" I might suggest the Carnitas from Costco. After a couple of tiki parties / luaus where we made our pork with similar recipes as posted, we needed to cut down preparation time so we could supply our guests with a nice variety of luau foods. Locating pre-packaged Carnitas (roasted pork) at our local Costco, we simply followed the directions on the package (microwave 4 minutes, poke holes in wrapping, and microwave another 4 minutes), shredded the pork pieces using forks, added a little Hawaiian salt and liquid smoke to the finished pork, and microwaved for a couple minutes more. We had some fantastic tasting kalua pork with less time and effort.

And don't forget the POI!!

- Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-11 8:39 pm   Permalink

That is good to know. I am all for reducint prep time and am good with a microwave.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation