[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Kalua Pork
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Kalua Pork
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 08:43 am   Permalink

...I'll add that I tend to add more liquid smoke, fresh ginger and even a small amount of honey to the more original recipe... then wrap it in banana leaves I get from the Asian market near where I live, slow cook it in the oven... yum!

[ This Message was edited by: Blowfish 2007-02-12 08:43 ]

View Profile of Blowfish Send a personal message to Blowfish  Email Blowfish Goto the website of Blowfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 2:53 pm   Permalink

All these recipes and variations sound really yummy, you know! I just wanted to say.

Also, I know that definitions of these terms and recipe names vary greatly from region to region and even household to household. Growing up with a lot of Hawaiians in the family, I had the general understanding that "kalua pig" referred to when the whole animal was cooked, traditionally in the imu, and "kalua pork" referred to a smaller version of the recipe with only a section or two, and generally cooked in your kitchen oven.

When I was a kid I was told this was a very high-end dish, "fit for royalty," and a person must be living the good life if they're eating it.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-11 09:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-04 14:10, Cammo wrote:
Salt is salt. Don't sweat the details, V.

I whole heartily disagree with this statement. There are considerable differences in salt flavors, textures, and the various layers they can add to a dish. When I make Pua 'a Kalua, or any other dish for that matter, I take the salt into consideration. I have found that sea salt is perhaps the best choice. Avoid Kosher salt (Yellow of Prussiate is often added) and never use table salt! If you really want to up the ante, you can use Fleur de Sel from France... the best salt in the world as far as taste and mouth feel. There are some Hawaiian salts out there, various hues and textures, but for my money... I just use Trader Joe's Sea Salt. Good, clean, nice texture, and cheap.

I'll see if I can dig up my recipe for Pua 'a Kalua, I'm still unpacking from the move (almost a year now).

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-11 2:59 pm   Permalink

Okay, I don't know what all that sweet stuff was from the first recipe, but forget it! First thing you need is a nice pork butt-fattier than the shoulder, but a fatty shoulder could do. The fat is important as it bastes the meat and provides juice to let the shredded kalua(the only spelling if you're talking Hawaiian pork)swim in.
Next, Hawaiian salt, kosher salt, etc...I haven't noticed the type of salt making a big difference in all the butts I've roasted, but if you have HI salt then use it. Lastly, liquid smoke(I've always used Wright's Hickory) mixed with a little water.
I've tried the oven bag and had very mixed results. Tightly wrapped foil always works. After shredding, you might want to add some more liquid smoke or salt to taste. Great, now I am starving!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
disneydan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-13 9:39 pm   Permalink

I found a great recipe that I have used twice, and got great results both times. You can find it at www.melindalee.com go to recipe archives and search for Hawaiian Kalua Pig in the oven. It is a very simple recipe that basically calls for the pork, Hawaiian salt and liquid smoke. The secret it that the pork roast is wrapped in banana or ti leaves (just like at a Luau) it imparts the flavor that most recipes miss. I live in so cal, so banana leaves are very easy to find at Mexican markets - you might also find them at Asian markets or have your florist get you Ti leaves (no pesticides!) The recipes that call for all that sweet stuff are probably yummy, but they are not traditional Kalua pork. Have fun!!

View Profile of disneydan Send a personal message to disneydan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt_Biggins

Posted: 2007-07-19 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-04 06:37, Cammo wrote:
You can serve a large party with this stuff.

with the recipe you mention- what is that total for a large party 20-25??

[ This Message was edited by: Capt_Biggins 2007-07-19 13:34 ]

View Profile of Capt_Biggins Send a personal message to Capt_Biggins  Goto the website of Capt_Biggins     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-16 1:25 pm   Permalink

I just came across this nice step by step methoc for cooking kalua pig. If you have a banana tree you can cut down, it'll make it all a lot easier. Makes me tempted to try.

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2007-08-17 05:48 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-16 1:31 pm   Permalink

linky no worky

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 05:49 am   Permalink

Linky fixey

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 06:24 am   Permalink

thanky swanky

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation