[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Big Bro Tiki above the Silverlake
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Big Bro Tiki above the Silverlake
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 10:52 pm   Permalink

I had the honor of visiting Sven at his home in LA where he was kind enough to tear himself away from his new book Tiki Modern and give me a tour.

The house is a tiki museum, I don't think the Jungle Room at Graceland can compare to the Witco furniture that Sven has collected or the most beautiful collection of lamps I have ever seen.

After visiting the Daddy tiki we headed down to Tiki Ti where we met up with the Beachbum himself who had taught me how to make a proper Mai Tai through his books. Big Bro and Beachbum Berry, I was in the court of tiki.
At one point in the evening Mike Sr. offered a toast to his father and the entire bar joined in and we all clinked to Ray who opened the Tiki Ti almost 50 years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-08 14:48 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-05 06:20 am   Permalink

WOW!!! What a thrill. A tiki museum for sure...thanks for the pictures.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-05 08:19 am   Permalink

Tim thanks for posting these pictures. You solved a mystery tiki ID for me. I happen to own a pair of the head posts on the chair that Sven is sitting on in the first picture. I had no idea what they were or who made them. Now I know I own an original Witco!, well at least part of one.. Also what is the story behind the tiki outside in the garden with the rope around the neck? Do you know?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-05 09:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-05 08:19, hiltiki wrote:
Also what is the story behind the tiki outside in the garden with the rope around the neck? Do you know?

Sven had Leroy Schmaltz carve the tree stump into the tiki after having the tree cut down due to damage.
His name is Big Daddy Olu and I don't know about the rope around the base. Maybe Sven will tell us.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-05 9:36 pm   Permalink

I had the pleasure and fortune of house sitting Sven's pad when me and the missus made our relocation from Nyc in 2001. A transition made all the easier by the pleasant surroundings.

My personal theory is that he has the rope on the tiki so he won't get up go to the Tiki Ti, and run amuck in the neighborhood.

http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-05 9:43 pm   Permalink

Nah, y'all got the story of the rope all wrong. It is for tying up nekid ladies to.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 10:15 am   Permalink

Actually, it's both: Every evening come 6:00 pm I tie myself to the Tiki, and then, like Ahab, wail and beckon the neighbors to follow me to the wet grave of the Tiki Ti. Only on Wednesdays, AFTER the Tiki Ti, it's the girls' turn.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-06 11:20 pm   Permalink

She not look tied up to GROG.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2007-02-06 23:21 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 09:10 am   Permalink

A few more pictures from last week.

Life is a state of mind

[

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-08 14:48 ]

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 11:26 pm   Permalink

Ah that frame looks familiar? Sven, call a brutha some time. No Tiki ti for me yesterday, maybe next week.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PoisonIvy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-08 11:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-08 23:26, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Ah that frame looks familiar? Sven, call a brutha some time. No Tiki ti for me yesterday, maybe next week.

Is that a MonkeyMan Frame? Fantastic! I love his work.

View Profile of PoisonIvy Send a personal message to PoisonIvy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-08 23:29, PoisonIvy wrote:
Is that a MonkeyMan Frame? Fantastic! I love his work.

That's Danny's work, aka Tiki Diablo, I believe. That's a photo from the Tiki Ti, always recognizable by the leathery texture of its fire retardent-drenched Tapa wallpaper .

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-09 11:24 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 1:25 pm   Permalink

and the great painting by Miles Thompson, aka Kooch e koo.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-09 1:42 pm   Permalink

I'm new to the tiki room forum, but that is an impressive collection of tiki things! Whoever Sven is, he must have quite a bit of knowledge about all this.

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 1:46 pm   Permalink

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/382286417X/tikiroomcom/104-2641688-2647147

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation