FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts AtomicTonyTiki's Artwork Thread - new stuff on page 7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
AtomicTonyTiki's Artwork Thread - new stuff on page 7
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-27 6:53 pm   Permalink

all looking good ATT!!!!

Great to see a a kindred schizophrenic artist!!!

alohas, bT

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-30 12:51 am   Permalink

Cheers chaps!

My one man clay jam continues, I finished the mug I started last week, but it still has to be fired and then I get to explore the world of glazes.

and I started another one, can you tell what it is yet?

and that's all I completed in the three hours of my class, its just not enough time.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 08:00 am   Permalink

Very nice Tony! I really like the patterning on that one. Man you on a clay roll...you're gonna get hooked

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-06 12:48 pm   Permalink

Another ceramics class and this time I finished the mug I started last week. My idea was to rift on the three faced bucket mug, so I created three adjoining snarling mouths and added the faces. I'll be adding more details on the faces next week once its gone a touch more hard.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 1:22 pm   Permalink

Very Cool Tony, I like them all!

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 11:10 am   Permalink

Me too! Specially the first one! Can't wait to see the glaze

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-16 01:28 am   Permalink

That's my first mug fired and now on with the long process of glazing, i have my eye on some crystal glazes in the ceramics cupboard.

after I got the first layers of glaze on, I started another mug..

..I'm quite into the conjoined face on my mugs at the moment. More to do next week, so I wetted it down before wrapping it to put it in the damp cupboard for next time, then I dropped it so quite a bit of repair will have to be done before i continue.

Tikimommy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-16 09:43 am   Permalink

Wow, ATT, those are great! I'm new to TC and have really enjoyed these "works in progress" threads. I am a beginner potter and it is very useful and so inspiring (not to mention humbling)to see the "process" of all this fantastic tiki ceramic work here...yours included!

I don't want to take up space on your thread for my questions, but I do have several for any and all of you more experienced and super-talented makers of tiki. Is there a specific thread where us newbies can post questions?

As for your latest slab made tiki mugs, did you make them by adding clay pieces to a slab cylinder or did you leave thickness from which to carve the shapes? I would love to try a handmade mug in my pottery class, I just don't know where to begin.

Again, such cool stuff, thanks for sharing. Also, I see LLT on this thread, I am a huge fan! love your work, so detailed and vivid (oh sorry had to do that shout out!)
Mahalo!!

View Profile of Tikimommy Send a personal message to Tikimommy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-20 1:32 pm   Permalink

Slabs of clay onto a length of two inch pipe wrapped in paper to ease removal of the pipe.

Finished another mug this week, currently I have one in the glazing stage, another about to fired and this new one drying, with only five weeks left on my course hopefully I'll have them finished before it ends.

as you can see this mug is based on my Cthulhu Tiki mug design, I've spotted this lovely metallic glaze that will hopefully give this mug the other-worldly quality it deserves.

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-24 1:02 pm   Permalink

Another plaster 3D piece finished..

..and I repaired my favorite hula shirt, what a pro-active day.

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-09 02:39 am   Permalink

My other three mugs are having their glazes fired and should be ready this week, so they should be finally finished. There was bits I really liked about my third mug and fancied taking further, so using photos of it I mocked up a sketch of how the next one should look.

As you can see its turned out quite like it, I used paper-clay on this one and found that once you got used to it that its fantastic stuff, its really forgiving and I don't think I'll go back to using any other clay for building mugs.

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-16 2:49 pm   Permalink

I got my finished glazed mugs back, this is the glazed Cthulhu mug and it came out patchy with unglazed bits and the emerald green highlights weren't strong enough.

so I had to add some more glaze to it and we'll see how it comes out after a second firing. The mug to the right is the paper clay Moai I made last week, its been given an undercoat of black glaze which I rubbed back and then a coat of opaque green, fingers crossed on that.

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 05:34 am   Permalink

Finally I have some finished mugs, the first one is a whopper, probably better to store straws in than drink from. The red of the terracotta clay effects the glaze on top, it alters the colour like a was of red.

Where as on the three faced mug I used the redness of the clay to my advantage, I gave it a coat of black glaze and rubbed that back so it only remained in the cracks. Then I gave it two coats of transparent gloss, which have come out like the sugar on a toffee apple.

tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 09:10 am   Permalink

Nice job - the red faced fella works really well.

What about the HP Mugcraft one? Show the class.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 12:22 pm   Permalink

You'll have to wait until Thursday, that is as long as it survives the second firing.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation