FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Vic's ORIGINAL mai tai now available **incl. 17-year-old WRAY & NEPHEW!**
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Vic's ORIGINAL mai tai now available **incl. 17-year-old WRAY & NEPHEW!**
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 12:01 pm   Permalink

It can be yours for only....$1500! A hotel in Belfast has put this on the menu, at a price currently tagged as "The Most Expensive Cocktail in the World."

Wayne Curtis has the story here at his blog:
http://republicofrum.blogspot.com/2007/02/original-mai-tai-at-price.html

It's really interesting to note that there's been a new run of Wray & Nephew Reserve. Also - if you've not read Wayne's book "AND A BOTTLE OF RUM..." then you're missing out. Terrific read!

Cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 2:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting that. Gee...'ya think you get to keep the glass?

In case you miss the tiny link at the bottom of that blog...here's the URL of the newspaper story:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article2241977.ece#

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 2:57 pm   Permalink

Hears another earlier link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/08/18/ireland.cocktail/index.html

Hi Rupe!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 02:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

It's really interesting to note that there's been a new run of Wray & Nephew Reserve.

This is not a new run, there were only 6 bottles available which came from the original batch made for Trader Vic, the Rums actual name being "Trader Vics Personal Selection".
1 bottle Sits at Merchant Hotel, Bar Gurus Ben Reid and Angus Winchester have one each (both Gone)and James Robinson from Appleton had one.
Another was decanted into smaller amounts of which we had one, Joy Spence gave another to Trader Vics here in London that sits in their display cabinet, TikiDrone had another that he won at the first London Luau and had made into Mai Tais last year at Trailer Happiness and the rest is at the Wray and Nephew offices.
The other belongs to another Bartender that I can't remember.
The word is that no more will be available, even though as far as I know there is more in the barrel the bottles came from.
So basically, out of the original 6 bottles, only about a bottle remains in all as two business men apparently celebrated a deal with 2 Mai Tais at the Merchant hotel according to my sources.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-07 06:50 am   Permalink

I'm going to raise my hand and put on my Dunce Cap for this one:

Can anyone tell me why this rum was discontinued? Seems to me it would be more popular now than back in the 40's & 50's. Certainly, there has been plenty of time (over 40 years now) to get up batches of this "Trader Vics Personal Selection" for the future and beyond. Doesn't Appleton Estates have the original blending formula? Huh? Huh?

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 08:07 am   Permalink

It probably is just a matter of will. Getting one barrel of 17 year old rum likely requires aging 4+ barrels of the best rum you make. Each year, your barrel of rum will diminish as it ages. So, after a few years, you end up taking two barrels to make one barrel and so on. Imagine the sort of work it takes to age a rum 17 years... It's just hard to do.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 09:34 am   Permalink

so I thought the most expensive cocktail was at the Hemingway bar at the Ritz in Paris for 400 euros (a sidecar with very old cognac).

They have the Guinness book of record authenticity frame. I went there monday, it's the best place for cocktails in Paris (also the most expensive place for cocktails I ever went to, regular prices are 24 euros...)

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 09:36 am   Permalink

And a bottle of rum... is an excellent reading. I loved it, you're right.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-07 06:50, GentleHangman wrote:
Can anyone tell me why this rum was discontinued?

It was discontinued because Trader Vic found another supplier.
The Appleton Estate does have all the Blending info still stored away and could reproduce the same rum again, although you would have to wait 17 years.
The other problem is they also only produce blends for people under very special circumstances, Chris Blackwell founder of Island Records and owner of some of the finest Houses(Goldeneye) on Jamaica is one.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-07 10:42 am   Permalink

Isn't Saint James' Hors D'Age rum a blend of 'Very Old Rums' ? They seem to manage quite nicely.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 11:35 am   Permalink

I think I remember being told what happens a lot of times is that companies top end blends are made from one barrel of their normal high end bottles that they sell and then they add a cup (I'm sure it's more that a cup, but you get the point) of their reserve to that and sell it as the exclusive small batch reserve blend. It's kind of like the Kiss Comic Book that was printed with their blood.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-07 5:35 pm   Permalink

I'm just saying . . . it's been 40-50 years . . . . one would think that if the "Trader Vics Personal Selection" had really been that popular. . . there should be a pretty good stock by now especially with all the 'Mai Tai' publicity through the years. I'd read that TV stopped using the Wray & Nephew because supply was short - well, to my way of thinking they've had plenty of time to catch up! Appleton makes a 21 year old rum, don't they? So.....

GENT

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 6:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:
...only about a bottle remains in all as two business men apparently celebrated a deal with 2 Mai Tais at the Merchant hotel according to my sources.

Make that 3 now.

From the Feb 6th Belfast Telegraph news story in the link in my post above:

Quote:
To date only two of the cocktails have been sold, although a third was made yesterday to commemorate its entry into the record books.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 01:33 am   Permalink

I don't know if 17YOs original strength was the same as the what is around now, or whether it has aged more and strengthened, but it is 76% proof which makes for an extremely stong drink if used on its own. Although the taste is something else, it couldn't be said it is an easy going rum. Maybe this could be part of the reason for change, to make it more palatable.
Also if it was made again it , like 21YO, would be fairly expensive and be better off drank as a sipping rum.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 06:12 am   Permalink

I came across this, regarding a 15 year old rum:

"Interestingly, at the end of 15 years of aging in wood, only about 7% of the original rum remains in the barrel, the balance will have evaporated into the air. Thus it took the equivalent of about 16 bottles of rum to produce this single bottle of 15 year old Pusser’s !"

17 year old is even more obviously

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation