FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Super Thrift Store Score...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Super Thrift Store Score...
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-10 8:07 pm   Permalink

for Maryland at least. I happened by the local Goodwill this morning before heading off to work and had quite a score! I was just finished looking through the baskets and wooden junk and came across a wooden Hawaii souvenir bowl with a hip looking 50's motif. I was happy with that for $1.00 and was heading to the door when I saw a Hawaiian Inn Leilani mug for 50 cents! (I know in other tiki-plentiful areas that wouldn't be a big deal but here in rural Bel Air Maryland that is a major score! This is only the second tiki mug I've ever found in a thrift store!!) Okay so I was walking to the counter to pay, satisfied with what turned out to be a pretty fruitful excursion when I saw it! In the showcase near the counter were two Fezzes! One was a Boumi fez with the rhinestone face - the other was almost the same in appearance but said Lulu above the jeweled design. The price said $25.00 - the lady at the counter said she would let me have one for $20.00! I was ecstatic wearing the fez home with my bag full of decent loot. Will post a picture of the fez it is stunning!!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-10 8:19 pm   Permalink

No matter how small its always great to find something at a great price., sounds like you did well.

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-10 8:55 pm   Permalink

JonTiki, congrats! like u said neva get da kine, tiki stuff ova de ya, so u did great!

Like here, I neva find witco in da trift sto, but on da mainland get plenty, so even if it's a small piece of witco like one candle holder, I would be so happy! someone on da mainland might say "oh ya dats a ok find". So great find!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 07:59 am   Permalink

Here is a pic of my loot...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 08:01 am   Permalink

Nice score John.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 12:53 pm   Permalink

Well done John. My fez is also a Lu Lu, but it's not as encrusted with 'precious' stones as yours. The letters are made of gold and silver 'piped' thread, and it looks fairly old (and a tad moth-eaten). I got it a long time ago, but if my memory serves me, the Lu Lu shriners are based in Philly. In fact, this fez was made by S Abrahams & Co of Philadelphia. Perhaps yours was too.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 1:41 pm   Permalink

That is a GREAT score John, take it from one East Coast"er" to another, I would be surprised to find any ONE of those things in my local Goodwill.

Cheers

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Ambience
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:12 am   Permalink

LULU, nice.
That is such a good find. The thrift stores here in Southern California are picked clean. Still, I frequent them often with high hopes.
A toast to crabby thrift store lady, she needs a cigerrette break bad and doesn't want to deal with you hipsters, heh.

turn up your speakers and click on this: http://www.dirtyradio.net/~tylero/thrift_store_radio.mp3

View Profile of Captain Ambience Send a personal message to Captain Ambience  Email Captain Ambience Goto the website of Captain Ambience     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:04 am   Permalink

Thrift stores here in the south aren't too bad at all. My boyfriend and I have found quite a bit of great tiki stuff, and the best part is that if they have anything tiki we are probably the only ones interested in it! Sometimes it is slow on the mugs (although we have found several coconut mugs around) but there is lots of good 50's style stuff to beef up our bar! Anyway, it's the chase that keeps us going and the scarcity of things makes it even better when you do come across something! Anyway notice how sometimes the antique/junk stores skyrocket their tiki mug prices? Maybe that is just around here, but we once saw a hula girl mug that they wanted $20 for. I thought that was a little out of control. Oh well, didn't really want it anyway!

Happy Tiki Hunting!

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 12:21 pm   Permalink

Nice fez, I just found one at the Golden West swap meet in Huntington Beach last weekend for the same price. Looks like that the going rate.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-01-15 12:42 pm   Permalink

Luckydesigns et al,

I saw a health department notice just last week warning of an outbreak of head lice in fezzes!

Time for the little comb and tiny hairdryer eh?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 10:33 pm   Permalink

Bong, are you serious? If you are, this is not a cool situation. Wait a minute....with all the grease and sh*t I put in my hair, I don't think anything could survive in it anyway.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:15 pm   Permalink

I think its kinda funny picturing head lice wearing fezzes!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 08:14 am   Permalink

When I was in Baltimore in the late 80's, I found more great stuff in the thrift stores than I could carry home! Some of it is still prized to me. I think B'more is a pretty conservative town and the good stuff didn't get snatched up. Maybe.

We found some tiki stuff in an antique store in a small town near here this weekend. We got two of the Disney, two-face, Polynesian Village clear mugs for $4 each. Vintage. One is twice the normal size. We have not seen one like that. But the price stickers said "Clown mug" and "Ugly face mug."

We see plenty of tiki mugs around here. Too many Orchids of Hawaii and especially the surfer girl mugs.

Our dream is to rent a large truck and tour the Midwest and Florida and all over, just thrifting and piling up the awesome stuff old people toss out of their basements...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-01-16 10:43 am   Permalink

There's an antique store that has had a Orchids of Hawaii volcano bowl in there for a couple of years....price...$215.00....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation