FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Formikahini at Waikiki Wally's Mar 31 (& Carnegie Hall Apr 1)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Formikahini at Waikiki Wally's Mar 31 (& Carnegie Hall Apr 1)
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 09:26 am   Permalink

And just like last time, it is NOT a solo performance, nor one with Robert Drasnin, nor anything remotely tiki. Instead, as it was 3 years ago on Easter Sunday, I'm singing with a big (150-175) choir, tagging along with the 24 from our school as a singing chaperone. *Sweet* perk.

This time we're doing Mozart's "Requiem" on the Sunday before Easter, Palm Sunday. Lots of very famous parts, used by film directors all the time to add oomph to a battle scene. I actually recommend you attend if you remotely like this kind of stuff. (Last time was John Rutter's Magnificat, which while lovely, isn't on anyone's greatest hits list yet.)

So why am I posting here in Tiki Events?
Because I get the night before off (March 31) and I want to see my NYCTC kin! Last time I did Otto's Shrunken Head, which I enjoyed very much. I'd like to see Waikiki Wally's this time. (On Friday, I get to see Spamalot!) I know it's better on a weeknight, but that's the way the coconut rolls.

Waikiki Wally's:
99 (101?) East 2nd St in the East Village between 1st and A
(Look for the neon palms and big Moai out front)
Closest subway stop - the F or V at 2nd Ave
Phone - (212) 673-8908

Time: 7:00

Sadly, Cinderella will have a curfew: 11:00, which precludes driving out to some cool Jersey spot. That's because I have to get back to see if the kids are back for their curfew! I also will have to be limited to one drink, maybe two. Top singing form is required, no matter *how* tasty Waitiki Wally's drinks are.

Let me know if you can join me. I'm having some non-TC friends join me again too.
F

The time before:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8308&forum=4

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini 2007-03-26 18:04 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-09 11:24 am   Permalink

For Tiki, I prefer Waikiki Wally's to Ottos.

More of a real Tiki vibe, less of a rocker bar.

I love the Donn Beach clay scuptures, the big mural, and the hula dancing hostess.

Have fun on your trip!
Glad someone finished Requiem for Mozart so you can sing it!
See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-10 7:26 pm   Permalink

Alice -- that REALLY cool! Holy crap, I miss singing choral music. My degree is in Voice from Indiana University (yes - the "factory"). I'm jealous. I miss singing choral music.

Anyway, enough of my whining. I just think that's cool that you're doing Mozart's Requiem at Carnegie.

TJ

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-10 11:35 pm   Permalink

Good luck with the trip... You know how to class up any joint... So look out Carnegie... BTW "Class With a Capital "K"" is still in my playlist... I love that Hillbilly Frankenstein stuff... Amazing!!!!!

Tikigoob

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 05:23 am   Permalink

That's great news Alice!!!

Have fun in NYC!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 4:56 pm   Permalink

Good luck to you!
Have a great night on the town!
Wish I could be there to see the show...

K.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 08:23 am   Permalink

I checked my calendar and a trip to NYC would work for me that weekend. I'd like to meet Formikahini and any other TCers at Waikiki Wally's. Never been to Waikiki Wally's. I'll take the train to NYC and do some shopping. What time should we meet at Wally's?

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 08:33 am   Permalink

Yay, KTM!

I'll let you know that time as I learn of my schedule. Something evening-ish, probably dinner and drinks afterwards?

Looking forward to meeting you (and khan-tiki-wahine?) and any others who jump on board
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 08:46 am   Permalink

I don't know yet if my wife will come along. I just put her on a plane for Costa Rica about an hour ago. She's going to visit relatives for 2 weeks. She probably isn't going to want to travel again for awhile. What if I brought my daughter? What are the rules at Waikiki Wally's does anyone know? My daughter is 19 so not legal but could she hang out?

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 08:56 am   Permalink

I'm assuming it's a restaurant, and she can therefore eat but not order cocktails. But call and confirm, and then please post the results; I have some younger friends (one 19 too!) also joining me and I'd love to make sure I told her correctly.

khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 09:08 am   Permalink

I'll check it out and then post info. Dinner and drinks sounds great. Looking forward to it.

inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-21 10:22 am   Permalink

Wally's is certainly a restaurant, and i have been there with kids too. Kids always enjoy seeing Wally, the bird!

If i still lived there I would have come out to join you, boo. Your concert sounds really cool...Carnegie Hall ?!?! practice, practice, practice!

Give my regards to broadway!

[ This Message was edited by: inkylouise 2007-02-21 10:23 ]

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 1:57 pm   Permalink

Congrats on Carnagie!
I'll try to escape Otto's and trek down to the "competition" and say Hi!...maybe birdnap Wally and hold him for ransom bwah ha haha!!!

View Profile of tastysp Send a personal message to tastysp  Email tastysp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 2:08 pm   Permalink

Bump to update:

7:00
We are meeting at Waikiki Wally's on Saturday evening, March 31.

It's looking to be a rather nice group. I may call to reserve a table. Ask for Alice Berry's table when you get there.

F

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 6:06 pm   Permalink

Bump (to catch any NY or NJ stragglers who haven't seen this thread yet!)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation