FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » er....are these crap or something?
er....are these crap or something?
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 3:55 pm   Permalink

Hi all -

wondering why no real interest in these 2 Islander mugs? -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2152769944&ssPageName=ADME:X:BN:US:2

muy curioso,
emspace.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 5:46 pm   Permalink

Hey guys, I'm very sincere in this question...I don't know nearly enough about rarity/collectability of mugs (though I know what turns my crank), I saw these yesterday and it looks like a great bargain. But the question remains: are they crap? Are they fakes, or in too crappy condition, or just numerous as hell?

I anxiously await the opinion of the many experts that I know inhabit this forum. I am not looking to start a bidding war with anyone here, just wanting my curiosity satisfied. Honestly. I don't have the spare moola anyway.

peas,
emspace.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 6:17 pm   Permalink

These mugs are pretty cool and, if you don't have at least one already, would make a nice addition to your collection. However, they are not all that hard to come by. Quite a few places used this style, but the ones from "The Islander" are the only ones that show up on eBay with any regularity.
As far as the seller goes, I have made a few purchases from 'cragikc' (actually a very nice gal named Alexa), and I've found her descriptions to be very honest, she is a pleasure to deal with, and she ships her items almost instantly. In my opinion, the chances of her knowingly selling a fake is slim to none.
The condition of the mugs, however, does seem to be less than perfect, but if you can pick up the pair for under $20, it might be worth it (and THAT, my friend, is up to you to decide...)

Hope this helps!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 7:23 pm   Permalink

Doctor Z, you're a gent. Thanks for the very informative and thoughtful reply.

best,
emspace.

Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-11 8:10 pm   Permalink

I agree with Z... if you can get the pair for less than $20, thats pretty good. But I'm sure the true bargain headhunters would disagree. If I only bought mugs I could find for $5 or less, I'd have a pretty puny collection! I won't pay those hundred $$ & up "holy grail" prices, but I don't mind paying $40 or so for mugs I don't have.

And remember to buy what you like! Pay what ever you feel comfortable paying! Collecting should be for your enjoyment, not for getting the biggest collection on the block.

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-01-11 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-11 15:55, emspace wrote:
-
wondering why no real interest in these 2 Islander mugs? -

realize, its still early in the bidding process. in the last few nanoseconds, the price will probably go up ..

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-13 3:40 pm   Permalink

Sure 'nuff, somebody was waiting to pounce in the last moments, and scored. That's okay with me, I've done pretty well so far and was only looking for some tips. I have paid VERY reasonable prices for my faves: Mr. Bali Hai, Kahiki vase/mug, Trader Vic's and Kon-Tiki S&P sets, and assorted
Daga mugs, which is pretty much the backbone of my collection not counting Hawaiiana/lava-lavas etc. I too have vowed not to pay those outrageous prices, but when I see a Steve Crane or Ren Clark (actually I've never seen a Ren Clark)...it's enough to make we wanna take out a bank loan.

cheers,
emspace.

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-01-13 4:21 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-01-11 20:10, Traderpup wrote:
Collecting should be for your enjoyment, not for getting the biggest collection on the block.

Unfortunatly, having the biggest collection on the block is my enjoyment (sick).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-13 6:15 pm   Permalink

Bong--

Just get yourself one of those Swedish Tiki Enlargers...

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-01-13 6:34 pm   Permalink

I got me one of those Swedish enlargers, I didn't know they made one for tiki though?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-13 6:48 pm   Permalink

Yeah, just stick your tiki in it.... and pump!

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-13 9:27 pm   Permalink

I tell you true: when I see think about owning the Ren Clark - I don't NEED an enlarger.

Okay, that was sick...

:^)
emspace

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation