FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food why Orgeat?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
why Orgeat?
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-16 6:17 pm   Permalink

>source of info re: orgeat in Voudou practice?

This recently-released book by Kenaz Filan:

http://www.amazon.com/Haitian-Vodou-Handbook-Protocols-Riding/dp/1594771251/sr=8-1/qid=1171678613/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-8108707-4315225?ie=UTF8&s=books

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 7:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-16 16:28, freddiefreelance wrote:
Don't forget the Floral element of Orgeat's makeup, either Rose or Orange-Blossom Water are added to the Almonds & Sugar, which adds incredible amounts of aroma to the drink. I believe the Orange-Blossom Water version is preferred for Mai-Tais ...

It is difficult to tell which version of orgeat you are gettting as the label rarely lists Rose Water-vs-Orange Blossom Water in the ingredients. And, yes, the Orange Blosom water makes the better Mai-Tai from the aroma standpoint. If your orgeat is made with the Rose Water the final drink takes on a more floral note which is only slightly less exotic when you close your eyes. Actually, a Rose-Water based orgreat makes me think more of the wahine serving my drink than the beach I imagine myself lying on while drinking the Mai-Tai.....

For those of you questing for Orgeat, you can get the Trader Vic's Orgeat on-line and it is pretty tasty overall. Toriano (Toriani?) makes an orgeat that you can find in most coffee houses (or World Market if you have one), but I have found it to be way too sweet with too little flavor unless you are putting it in your coffee. There are other and better brands available in some areas and making it yourself is surprisingly easy. Follow the many links in this thread and get brewing. And, as always,share with us what you find and pictures are good too!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation