FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Is Hinky Dinks stuff really rare?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Is Hinky Dinks stuff really rare?
Tiki Ham
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-15 5:21 pm   Permalink

Hi All!
new to collecting menus.. and I have never sen a HINKY DINKS menu..
Is stuff from there just really rare? Or am I just looking in the wrong places!

View Profile of Tiki Ham Send a personal message to Tiki Ham      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 5:27 pm   Permalink

To me they are!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 10:26 pm   Permalink

I had a trader vics/hinky dinks anniversary ashtray at one time, but other than that i haven't seen anything from there.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 11:37 pm   Permalink

Aye! Rare they be.
I beleive the afore mentioned ashtray be the only piece of booty I've crossed in me travels. If'n ya have anything... let's see it Matey!
aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 06:40 am   Permalink

I have seen Hinky Dinks come around. Matchbooks especially. I don't think it is extremely rare. I can't recall all the ephemera, but I have seen it on a regular basis.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-17 7:10 pm   Permalink

Everybody forgets about Senior Pico's too. Really hard to find.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-24 4:29 pm   Permalink

Found this pinback button recently. It measures 3" across.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-25 10:12 am   Permalink

That button is not really a Hinky Dinks item, (as in FROM Hinky Dinks) but a Trader Vic's item from 1984. Considering the fact that Hink Dinks was basically a dive (see it depicted below)

...and existed only a couple of years in the 30s, I am not surprised that there is little to be found with its name on it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-25 11:55 am   Permalink

Yeah, I knew it wasn't issued in the HD era but since it has the name and building on it, I thought it would be ok to put the picture here.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 3:21 pm   Permalink

Just found these ashtrays so since the previous example photos are gone, here's a replacement:

mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-22 11:07 pm   Permalink

I was happy to get a Hinky Dink's Matchbook on ebay a few years back for $5. The next week the same style matchbook in worse condition sold for close to $75! As Bigbro said, Hinky Dinks was only around for about 2-4 years in the early 1930's before the name (and decor) changed to Trader Vics, so yes, period Hinky Dinks items are very rare.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-13 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-15 17:21, Tiki Ham wrote:Is stuff from there just really rare? Or am I just looking in the wrong places!

Here are a few scans of a Hinky Dinks menu.

The cocktail selection holds a few mysteries. The "Fancy Drinks" section offers the Frankenstein at 25c. I also have no idea what a Western Electric or Pe Pe Je Ke cocktail are. The last sounds like a potentially tiki name, but it's not in the rum section. Of course, some of the "Rum Drinks from the Tropics" list are unlikely to have any rum either, such as a Gin and Tonic or a Singapore Sling.

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-13 3:10 pm   Permalink

Interesting. There are about 10 cocktails on that menu that don't appear in Vic's cocktail books. Then again, some may have been renamed.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-13 3:34 pm   Permalink

I like the prices on cognac....but find it interesting that the Hennesy and Curvoiser are priced the same as the fundador....nowadays, the hennesy and curvoisier will run you about 35 bucks, but the fundador is about 18 per bottle.

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-13 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-13 15:34, lucas vigor wrote:
I like the prices on cognac....but find it interesting that the Hennesy and Curvoiser are priced the same as the fundador....nowadays, the hennesy and curvoisier will run you about 35 bucks, but the fundador is about 18 per bottle.

And both are cheaper than a Mojito.

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation