Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Shag / PBN ... Charity for Auction
Shag / PBN ... Charity for Auction
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 09:53 am   Permalink

The Corey Helford Gallery in Culver City, Ca is sponsering an art auction for charity - all proceeds going to the alliance for Children's Rights. The Gallery asked approximately 100 different artists to contribute, Shag being one of them.(others include the Pizz, Gary Baseman, gary panter, and many more)

What makes this auction interesting is that each artist was provided with an already existing Paint By Number (PBN) painting, and asked to alter it in their own way. The results are quite fascinating - I spent the last hour looking at all of the variations. What is neat that if you visit each individual ebay painting site, you can click on the alternate picture to see the paiting 'transform' back to the original, underlying painting.

The auction ends on Saturday, February 17.

Shag's Polynesian themed painting can be viewed here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260086305091

The link to the Corey Helford can be found here - it provides a handy link to the main auction ebay site.
http://www.coreyhelfordgallery.com/

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 10:49 am   Permalink

What a great concept. I love thrift store art, and I know a couple of people that collect paint-by-numbers pieces. And I love modified thrift store art (when well executed).

Here are some pieces of added on thrift store art that I own, the first is from my old friend Charles Schneider, he added the Tikis, and some of the flowers to integrate them better:

And here are two small thrift store paintings that my friend Moritz R., cover designer of the BOT, found here in CA when visiting from Germany. They were in their frames already, and Moritz added the Tikis:

Industrial Tiki

This one was a generic nature scene, but it had little bamboo sticks already attached to the painting. Moritz added the real leaves, painted in the nude on the rock, and then he took a dried up tube of brown oil paint and sculpted the Tiki out of it, so the piece is partly 3D:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-16 12:15 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 11:43 am   Permalink

A worthy cause... too bad there is a need for such a cause to help abused and impoverished children.

For more info and auctions for the Alliance for Children's Right, go
here.

BTW, the Tiki in the pix seems way too interested in that girl.
Quote:

On 2007-02-16 10:49, bigbrotiki wrote:

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 09:03 am   Permalink

It turns out that Amyaloha had started a thread about this charity PBN auction way before I first became aware of it. Here is the link to that thread, to pull the two together. If you haven't visited it already, check it out to see her way cool painting, along with another Polynesian themed PBN I was unable to resist.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22789&forum=12&start=last&9

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-18 10:28 am   Permalink

Interesting cruising through the before and after. The mermaid was a hoot. Thanks for sharing your pix BigBro....very nice.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation