FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki South Pacific, Newton, MA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
South Pacific, Newton, MA (restaurant)
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 05:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

I had to leave straight from the Hukilau this year to a job in Germany, which made for quite a culture shock-
..I get off the plane and am being driven straight to a location scout in some Hotel at some lake in deep Southern Bavaria, so THIS was the change of scenery for me from one day to another:

But then, at that hotel's interior swimming pool, I come upon....THIS !:

I swear that stuff just follows me around! This huge tile mural was done in the 70s by a female artist, and is an indication of how, up until then, the Polynesian motif stood for fun and leisure in the hotel industry worlwide.

hi,
did you stay in the
http://www.bachmair.de/ ?

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 10:31 am   Permalink

Dang! We have Tiki agents everywhere! It sure was:

X-ept I wasn't STAYING there (wish I would have!), but just scouting it, as a possible location for a TV movie:

Sven at work in the fatherland....(still in proper attire though)

But now, really, let's leave Bavaria behind, and return to the SOUTH PACIFIC! (Apologies for derailing this further, Granite)
And someone start that MURAL thread!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 11:05 pm   Permalink

Great points being made about the murals. I posted a rather odd location here once, the Bremerton Naval Station Library. It has a gorgeous mural dating from the 30's to 50's with topless wahines and sailors in a tropical paradise. I left there in 95 or so and have long worried that political correctness in the military will have it painted over due to the topless Polynesians. I believe anyone can get a pass to go to the library there. I hope one of our WA members will photograph it some time. Bremerton is about 40 min's from Seattle and had some tiki apt's as well.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 06:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-20 05:42, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Hell Yes!

Ok, after we have my party, we should schedule a time for us all to go there and take over the joint.

..sbim

Sounds like a great plan to me!

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-21 19:23, Ojaitimo wrote:
Great photos of this place. Thanks for sharing this and the effort. Great urban archeology.

I knew that B.S. in Anthropology would pay off sometime!!! hahaha. No really....I had a feeling when I found that mug it might be something good. You guys will have to find out when this place opened. From some of the reviews it sounds like it's been there since the 1960s and my mug looks it too, although those murals look pretty 70s. Keep us posted!

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 09:05 am   Permalink

I'm definitely going to go back during the day and properly display it's location.

Then everyone will understand how it went unnoticed by everyone but the neighborhood customers.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 9:41 pm   Permalink

The South Pacific is cool. WAITIKI went drinking there with DJ Jimmy B and Brother Cleve. Unfortunately, I've been banned from the place because I drank everyone under the table. By my own people (the Chinese). Such is life. *Gurgle* *gurgle*

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 1:17 pm   Permalink

My wife and I went back last week! (I have a great excuse to drop her off, and then pick her up from work now)

More pics!

She's going to kill me for this but:

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-03-16 13:20 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 1:24 pm   Permalink

It's Kate!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 1:51 pm   Permalink

This is a very cool-looking place!

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Timbres

Posted: 2008-01-09 5:50 pm   Permalink

You guys are the best. You couldn't be more right about the South Pacific (affectionately known around Newton, MA as the "So. Po.", "SoPac" and "The Po"). FYI, the place has been around since the 50's and used to be a hot spot, jammed to the gills on weekend nights. The sign outside is the tallest neon sign in Newton and grandfathered out of zoning laws that were designed, in part, to prevent the proliferation of others like it. It's a source of pride to the regulars in the bar who comprise a group of the funniest and most down to earth people you will ever meet. Many in this pack of regulars have been friends for decades.

FYI, in late August 2007, word spread through the pack that a group had come to the restaurant as some type of club that was interested in tiki bars. Upon leaving they gave a tiki to the management which hangs today in the back of the bar. It may have been you guys. I hope it was. Either way, you'll be pleased to know that everyone said the group was good people and, more importantly, that one of the regulars hung his N.E. Patriots hat on the tiki (prior to game one) and announced that he would not retrieve it until the Patriots were Superbowl champions. It sits atop the tiki today and the Patriots haven't lost since it went up (16-0). If it was you guys, thanks. If not, do you know who these people were?

Come back soon and often. PLENTY OF PARKING IN THE BACK (down the side street at the east end of the strip mall).

View Profile of Timbres Send a personal message to Timbres      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Timbres

Posted: 2008-01-09 5:52 pm   Permalink

You guys are the best. You couldn't be more right about the South Pacific (affectionately known around Newton, MA as the "So. Po.", "SoPac" and "The Po"). FYI, the place has been around since the 50's and used to be a hot spot, jammed to the gills on weekend nights. The sign outside is the tallest neon sign in Newton and grandfathered out of zoning laws that were designed, in part, to prevent the proliferation of others like it. It's a source of pride to the regulars in the bar who comprise a group of the funniest and most down to earth people you will ever meet. Many in this pack of regulars have been friends for decades.

FYI, in late August 2007, word spread through the pack that a group had come to the restaurant as some type of club that was interested in tiki bars. Upon leaving they gave a tiki to the management which hangs today in the back of the bar. It may have been you guys. I hope it was. Either way, you'll be pleased to know that everyone said the group was good people and, more importantly, that one of the regulars hung his N.E. Patriots hat on the tiki (prior to game one) and announced that he would not retrieve it until the Patriots were Superbowl champions. It sits atop the tiki today and the Patriots haven't lost since it went up (16-0). If it was you guys, thanks. If not, do you know who these people were?

Come back soon and often. PLENTY OF PARKING IN THE BACK (down the side street at the east end of the strip mall).

View Profile of Timbres Send a personal message to Timbres      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 7:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks for bringing the pictures of that mural room up again, what a fantastic place, a real time warp.
-Happy sigh-

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 8:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-03-16 13:20 ]

Hey, It's Kate again! March, April, May, June... Hey, Granite what did you guys do after you got home that night?

Yes, we'll be back to the So Po ASAP!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 9:52 pm   Permalink

Timbres, it was indeed us, the New England Tikiphiles.

See this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26115&forum=4&81

Your math is close pappy, very close!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation