FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki South Pacific, Newton, MA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
South Pacific, Newton, MA (restaurant)
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-28 5:40 pm   Permalink

Newton South Pacific is awesome!

That's me waving under the sign for human scale...
I think I remember there was a really cool primitive bird lamp in the reception of the restaurant... Am I right? Or was I drunk?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-29 07:56 am   Permalink

Yeah, that was there last time I was there.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 08:25 am   Permalink

Wow! That mug was one of my first thrift store scores. I'm still amazed that a mug found in Portland OR helped "rediscovered" this place!

[ This Message was edited by: sputnikmoss 2009-05-22 08:25 ]

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 2:06 pm   Permalink

Found this great picture taken by Vidaliaa.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-09-22 11:23 pm   Permalink

Here's the vintage paper placemat:

The second location in Malden, at 275 Eastern Ave, is now the Sun Kong Chinese restaurant. One of the reviews says they still serve a scorpion bowl in the bar. Has anyone checked it out to see if any of the decor is left?

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 4:48 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Great place mat, those are hard to come by.

I picked up a matchbook from the South Pacific advertising both the Newton and Malden locations.

Close up of the dancing girls under the moon.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-08-16 16:50 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 5:24 pm   Permalink

I still haven't been to this place! Yes, I'm ashamed of myself. I have no excuse. It's not much more than a half hour away from me.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 6:10 pm   Permalink

Go Now!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 8:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-16 18:10, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Go Now!

Yes, dear!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
modbetty
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-11 09:33 am   Permalink

Though some of my photos are a few years old (!!) I'm glad to report that my most recent drive-by by the South
Pacific showed they were still open for business. I did snap a few photos of the giant vintage sign, and while the neon wasn't lit up, the yellow background looked pretty cheery in the sunlight~

http://www.retroroadmap.com/2012/04/10/tiki-room-hidden-in-suburban-boston-south-pacific-newton-ma/

(also a big thanks and shout out to the folks on the 2007 NETT who visited The SoPa and videotaped the cool mural!)

View Profile of modbetty Send a personal message to modbetty  Goto the website of modbetty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-23 02:51 am   Permalink

I have some terrible news. It appears the South Pacific is closed. They have a sign on the door that says: Thank you for your years of patronage.

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2012-09-23 02:52 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
modbetty

Posted: 2012-10-02 2:57 pm   Permalink

I just heard the news myself and am so so so bummed. Looks like they've already gutted the place as well.

There's a Facebook Page for anyone who wants to mourn along with me.

https://www.facebook.com/southpacificmemorial

Anyone wanna meet up at the Bali Hi?

[ This Message was edited by: modbetty 2012-10-02 14:58 ]

View Profile of modbetty Send a personal message to modbetty  Goto the website of modbetty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-02 8:13 pm   Permalink

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-02 10:17 pm   Permalink

Whaaaa...? Isn't that the place with all the great murals lining all the walls? What happened to all that wonderful art? There's a lot of mourning about the food, but these murals were/ are singular - are you sure the were removed/ destroyed? It's worth checking their fate, they should be preserved.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
modbetty

Posted: 2012-10-04 11:36 am   Permalink

I don't have high hopes for the interior at all,based on the photo of the gutted kitchen posted to the FB page on 9/27. Sounds like the local folks can't get any additional info about the closing either. First Pago Pago and now SoPa, say it ain't so, Massachusetts!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation