[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Classic Cartoons
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Classic Cartoons
VoodooTrucker13
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-20 12:03 pm   Permalink

What's everyone's favorite classic cartoons? I'm partial to Secret Squirrel myself:)

View Profile of VoodooTrucker13 Send a personal message to VoodooTrucker13  Email VoodooTrucker13     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 12:21 pm   Permalink

Favorite Classic Cartoon?
"COBWEB HOTEL"
It's an old Max Fleischer one! Pretty grim and scary!
As for shows....
Herculoids
Atom Ant
Hair Bear Bunch
and I hated Jabberjaw and Speed Buggy-worse than Muppet Babies!
Great topic by the way!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 12:54 pm   Permalink

Off the top of my cartoon junkie head...
Mighty Mouse
Speed Racer
Clutch Cargo
Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse
Gigantor
All Max Fleischer
...then there is one I vaguely remember that spoofs all the movie stars from the 40's/50's, not sure if it was Warner Bros, but it rocks!

K.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-20 12:21, little lost tiki wrote:
Favorite Classic Cartoon?
"COBWEB HOTEL"
It's an old Max Fleischer one! Pretty grim and scary!
As for shows....
Herculoids
Atom Ant
Hair Bear Bunch
and I hated Jabberjaw and Speed Buggy-worse than Muppet Babies!
Great topic by the way!

I have "Cobweb Hotel" on VHS on one of those "8 Hours of Klassic Kartoons" collections.

I love all of those old Fleischer Studios 'toons, my Gran'Daughter makes me play the Betty Boop version of "Cinderella" over & over & over, and I have a 4 disk Popeye collection that includes some of the greatest cartoons of the '30s: "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor," "Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves," & "Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp." Jack Mercer's rambling, mumbling delivery as Popeye, the wiggly animation style, the surreal storylines, the use of carved clay backgrounds/foregrounds & rotoscoping, the sly humor, all make me wish the Fleischers hadn't been forced to imitate Disney's style & been handcuffed in their story writing by the Hayes Code. Gulliver's Travels, Mr. Bug Goes to Town, and the Superman shorts were all good, just not as cool or as individualistic as the older material.

Also great for surreal cartoon comedy are the original Felix the Cat silents & the late '90s "Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat" TV series.

Tons of '50s-'60s Anime: "Kimba," "Speed Racer," "Gigantor," "Astro Boy," "Alakazam."

Does anyone else remember "Colonel Bleep"? or "Tom Terrific"?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 2:20 pm   Permalink

Tom Terrific...loved that one too!!!
this is a great topic, I haven't thought about alot of these in years.
thanks!

K.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 2:53 pm   Permalink

OK... How many of you remember Here Comes The Grump. For the longest time people thought I was crazy because nobody and I mean NOBODY knew what I was talkin' about when I mentioned this cartoon. I began to think it was a figment of my imagination. Apparently, there were only a few episodes made and when they aired the time slot changed a few times making it a very obscure cartoon.

Johnny Quest is one of my all time favorites and so are The Arabian Knights, The new adventures of Huck Finn (which was the precursor to Who Framed Roger Rabbit using live actors in intermixed with animated backgrounds and characters), and The Three Musketeers. These were all mini cartoons in The Banana Splits Show. I also liked Tom Slick, George of the Jungle and Super Chicken. Herculoids were cool and the Wacky Races too. We had a cat named after Kimba the White Lion.

I recently watched The Gigantor and Speed Racer series which I got via Netflix.

I have a collection of some of the old cartoons and other Saturday morning goodness at my Youtube group Cartoon Craziness.

Can you tell I LOVE this stuff? Good Stuff Maynard,

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-20 8:13 pm   Permalink

Ahem

Roger Ramjet.

They used to play these on the Filipino TV station when I lived in Angeles city . I understand that Roger popping a Proton Energy pill (giving Roger the power of 20 atom bombs in ten seconds)caused quite a few kiddie overdoses so I never saw these in the US

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VoodooTrucker13
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-20 10:21 pm   Permalink

Squiddly Diddly is great too. I got Boomarang on my satalite dish and its fantastic!

[ This Message was edited by: VoodooTrucker13 2007-02-20 22:24 ]

View Profile of VoodooTrucker13 Send a personal message to VoodooTrucker13  Email VoodooTrucker13     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 07:51 am   Permalink

Max Fleischer's 1938 cartoon All's Fair at the Fair the retro-futuristic look at the marvels coming to the 1939 New York World's Fair.

All hopped up on toons,
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 08:55 am   Permalink

Kikekeki nailed it with Clutch Cargo!with Spinner and Paddlefoot! He used to be on the Ray Rayner show on WGN channel 9 in Chi-town back in the late 60's and early 70's!!! Diver Dan used to have episodes on there too! As for our friend Clutch....Those pink mouths used to freak me out! Watched some episodes on Acid about 15 years ago and those little pink mouths are even spookier! Don't try that stunt at home! Yeeeeeeeek!
Spinner and Paddlefoot.....Kinda like Speed Racer with Spridles(is that his name?) and Chim Chim!What's up these clowns having sidekicks!?Does anyone remember LUNA? It was this pegasus toy that would magically grow and come to life in this little boy's room and they'd go on all these timetravel adventures!
Did you guys ever see any of those old Popeye WWII propaganda cartoons? The one I remember best was entitled...(this is true!) "Scratch another Slant-eye!" Popeye would most certainly be up for some hate crimes if this cartoon was aired today! Yikes!
Of course Chongolio's radar sniffed out this topic! Should've known that you were a cartoon junkie!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 09:35 am   Permalink

Along the Speed Racer line, one of my first cartoon memories was a early anime entry called Princess Knight set in medieval times. It had a Disney feel to it and showcased a girl who masqueraded as boy to inherited her fathers kingdom. It had a colorful cast and even Satan was an regular guest star. I don’t remember much more that that.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 11:39 am   Permalink

Thanks, Chongo, I didn't remember Johnny Quest partly because in my little girl's world it seemed more like 'real people' than the other cartoons at the time and somehow I still think of it as a live action show...silly me
LLT- I'm so glad you put Diver Dan in there. I had it down, but pulled it due to a memory glitch(was it live action or animation?) I may be getting it confused with Sea Hunt(live action). BTW, I worked with a guy that looked just like Clutch Cargo(minus the scary pink lips).
Mahaloz to all you cartoon junkies out there...
THIS IS FUN!

K.

[ This Message was edited by: kikekeki 2007-02-21 11:42 ]

TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 06:47 am   Permalink

I love this topic! I always liked the "fractured fairy tales" series, Sherman and Mr. Peabody and the wayback machine, Popeye is a huge fave of mine, Magilla Gorilla, Pink Panther, Atom Ant also. Plus I recall one that I dont know the name of and if anyone can tell me that would be great. The 1960s/70s era cartoon was about a hobo who suddenly became rich, but he lived in the hallway of the mansion and lit a campfire there and his butler would tend to him while he cooked food in tin cans over the fire. This cartoon was shown along with one about a scientist and a Frankenstein-type monster. Anyone know?

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VoodooTrucker13
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-22 08:23 am   Permalink

Is it Frankenstien Jr?

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 08:37 am   Permalink

That hobo cartoon was Stuffy Durma made by the people behind Milton the Monster. I've always wondered if Milton The Monster was kidnapped by Kellogs and turned into Milton The Toaster

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation