FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Could this be a TIKI party room?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Could this be a TIKI party room?
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-08 5:51 pm   Permalink

Bumping an antique thread. The house that started this thread on page 1 with the party room and monkey pod accents is coming up this week as a foreclosure. It has been abused, although the wood you see on the stairwell did survive. The pecky cypress paneling going up the stairs, unfortunately no, they plastered over it.

At any rate, this 4100 sq ft party palace with a pool will be on the market soon, I expect probably in the $150k range. We are also one hearing away from becoming Texas' first mid-century historic district. That has been a huge battle. The people opposed to it have accused us of everything short of sacrificing babies on our patios. Hopefully we will get the protections and it will help boost the neighborhood.

the little green boom-a-rang mod in the above pic also got new owners that are embarking on a complete restoration. So that is one for the win column. Hopefully the party room one will be another one.

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-16 6:35 pm   Permalink

http://search.har.com/engine/8103-Glen-Valley-Dr-Houston-TX-77061_HAR82424891.htm

Here is a link to the foreclosure listing. The house has been beat up pretty bad and the pictures are not that good, which doesn't help. On page 2 of the thread is a pic of the front before they messed up that one section. I don't know what they were thinking.

Here is a an old photo of the front (before they messed it up)

[ This Message was edited by: txmod 2011-03-18 11:57 ]

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-25 3:21 pm   Permalink

You know what they were thinking -- new "traditional style" windows will make it (A) "pretty" or (B) easier to clean/more energy efficient (even if the rest of the house is a heating and cooling sieve).

More new homeowners kill the aesthetics of their home simply trying to make it something it is not. MCN or any other type of house.

And my Californian/Asian/Mod house had gold and purple striped wallpaper and 8' composite Corinthian columns in the living room and entry hall added to it in the early 80s. Looked like low-rent Miami drug lord. And those were the first things to go, after I filmed a new episode of Miami Vice.

GK

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-25 7:55 pm   Permalink

I think they wanted to be able to hang a window unit out of the front window and the former windows wouldn't accomodate it. It was like they sat up nights thinking of what is the next stupid thing we can do to this place?
We are very close to having our historic district designation finalized. Had it been in place back when, they wouldn't have been able to mess it up like that.

[ This Message was edited by: txmod 2011-03-25 19:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: txmod 2011-03-25 20:04 ]

txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-08 7:37 pm   Permalink

Price drop to $167,000. I hope someone steps up to save it.

txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-24 10:19 pm   Permalink

Reduced to $149,900

txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-29 1:46 pm   Permalink

Bump - for those who have followed this thread before and all the great mid-century houses, Glenbrook Valley has now become a protected historic district. They had the vote today and it was finally approved.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/7631204.html

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 1:48 pm   Permalink

Mazel tov on that!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-02 07:13 am   Permalink

Happy happy happy news, that!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!
(Now back to hoping that it actually does some good, she said cynically )
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-04 09:22 am   Permalink

Shag-a-riffic!!!!! thats way cool, add a couple tiki statues and Id say yes

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kraken
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-06 11:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-08 17:51, txmod wrote:
Bumping an antique thread. The house that started this thread on page 1 with the party room and monkey pod accents is coming up this week as a foreclosure. It has been abused, although the wood you see on the stairwell did survive. The pecky cypress paneling going up the stairs, unfortunately no, they plastered over it.

At any rate, this 4100 sq ft party palace with a pool will be on the market soon, I expect probably in the $150k range. We are also one hearing away from becoming Texas' first mid-century historic district. That has been a huge battle. The people opposed to it have accused us of everything short of sacrificing babies on our patios. Hopefully we will get the protections and it will help boost the neighborhood.

the little green boom-a-rang mod in the above pic also got new owners that are embarking on a complete restoration. So that is one for the win column. Hopefully the party room one will be another one.

The craggy wood shown in the pictures of this home (first post) certainly looks like
manzanita. In California this is often a throw-away wood because it splits easily and
is full of grit that damages saws and drills.

[ This Message was edited by: kraken 2011-07-09 21:10 ]

View Profile of kraken Send a personal message to kraken      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-26 9:05 pm   Permalink

Bumping an antique thread instead of starting a new one. An update on the latest fate of the big party house that started the thread. It went up as a foreclosure and by that time, was in far worse condition than the photos at the beginning of the thread. Very little left salvageable. The people that had it before couldn't have been rougher on it if it had been a frat house or something. Tore up from the floor up. To make matters worse, when they did try to "improve" things, we ended up with stuff like the reconfiguration of the brick and windows on the front.
'

Ugh.

It has been purchased by someone with the money and where-with-all to salvage it. They have gutted it, which I am generally opposed to, but there was little left to salvage so I guess it was time for this house to get a new vision. They did put the pink roman brick back on the front and reinstall the big picture windows in the front back like it had originally, so now it looks like the original pictures. That is a huge improvement. The new owners didn't feel the love for the wood so the sister, who is more mod-appreciative, salvaged the wood, (whatever it is) and is moving it to her new old house in the neighborhood. So it all ends well.

I have a new one up that needs the right new owner. It is very original and retains all its mod glory. I will get better pics done latter part of next week, these are kind of weak, but you get the idea. It has a 40' round rotunda living room, I know one of you all need that! It is centered around a a round flagstone fireplace. It has a domed ceiling in the rotunda and poured terrazzo around the rear portion with flagstone walls. The bathrooms are spectacular. Tax rolls list it at over 4600 sq ft on one level. It is beyond swank.

Entry hall

Round rotunda living room

Other side

Raised portion at the rear

One of two bar type openings to the rotunda

Formal dining

Master bedroom

http://harlistings.marketlinx.com/SearchDetail/Scripts/PrtBuyFul/PrtBuyFul.asp?emailGUID=9f006f12-a985-4dcd-9206-7b7cbbcf3adc&AgentId=trucks

Somebody needs to save this one!

[ This Message was edited by: txmod 2012-05-26 21:07 ]

KittyKat65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-27 07:55 am   Permalink

OMG! If anyone touches any of those details they need their hands cut off! That house is perfect!

View Profile of KittyKat65 Send a personal message to KittyKat65      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-27 08:39 am   Permalink

Truly a very nice home, but there is so much more potential there in the hands of an inspired and caring tikiphile. My mind was racing as I looked at the photos...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-27 7:05 pm   Permalink

That's why I am puttin' out there in Tikicentral land!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation