FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Polynesian Murals and Dioramas - Vintage & Other
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Polynesian Murals and Dioramas - Vintage & Other
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 07:49 am   Permalink

Not to derail this fine thread, but here's a closeup of the Philadelphia Kona Kai column tiki to add to Sven's blueprint. (Speaking of... can you post more of that blueprint over in Locating Tiki, purty please?)

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 11:47 am   Permalink

The full blueprint shows just two more of those type of column carvings (they actually were panels covering structural posts) and will be in Tiki Modern (they are all pretty similar). My new book will also show the full cover of Monkeyman's brochure the Tiki ABOVE comes from...which (not to be a stickler) is actually a different one than the one in the mural (compare eyes and mouth). The Tiki above is carved from the rendering on the LEFT in the blueprint, while the mural/bar Tiki I posted on the previous page is taken from the rendering on the RIGHT. They both are deceptively similar.

And now: Dioramas. Taken from the century-old European tradition of creating miniature pictures of landscapes with model buildings and trees to create a 3D effect, Polynesian pop dioramas went one step further than murals. Like the big taxidermy animal habitats in old Natural History museums (which I love), they are a combination of interior landscaping (fake palm trees, rocks, etc) and murals. It all started with places like Bob Brook's Seven Seas and Don The Beachcomber creating fake rainforest windows with tropical downpours, even adding live exotic birds and monkeys in them:

This the cradle of Polynesian pop, Don the Beachcomber Hollywood, at its 25th anniversary, with the rainforest diorama in the back ground.

I got to experience the Kahiki rainforest, especially effective in the bitter cold of the Ohio winter:

Then there were also the miniature dioramas, depicting whole islands, like this one behind the bar of the Bora Bora Room:

an attempt to get closer:

I have no documentation of the Royal Hawaiian Laguna Beach dioramas, when I found them, they were already dilapidated and uncared for, but a few miniature huts were still standing, does anyone have pics?

The most effective ones are of course the full room environments, like this one at Butlin's Beachcomber in England:

And, as my last mural example: Poly pop murals invade the bathroom, in 1964:

Marlite Murals: So "Tiki Modern"!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-26 12:10 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 8:56 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to ad this Damon's History info I just received to this thread that shows the Damon's murals, because it is rare that a mural artist is known by name:

".....In 1937 he sold the candy stores and founded Damon's Steak House on Central Avenue in Glendale. It soon became a favorite with those seeking a hearty steak and a great drink.

The South Seas or Polynesian décor theme began almost by accident. A single palm tree in the middle of the original Damon's inspired the gradual addition of artifacts and furnishings. The move to Brand Boulevard in 1980 made that transition even easier with the addition of the outrigger hanging above the main dining room and -(!) the beautiful murals painted by the late Bettina Byrne.(!)-

At the time of the move to Brand Boulevard long time bartender Moe Elliott was promoted to manager. Moe not only had the distinction of being the senior member of the staff (since 1956) but he also created the Damon's Famous Mai Tai. Moe still visits to make sure his time honored recipe is being followed accurately.."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 6:36 pm   Permalink

Absolutely brilliant, brilliant thread, JP. (Hot-rodded to a fascinating new dimension with BBTiki's inclusion of the diorama aspect.)

Mahalo for focusing attention on this "fine arts" aspect of Polynesion restaurant decor!

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-08 8:50 pm   Permalink

Don't forget about the diorama at the Royal Hawaiian, Laguna Beach R.I.P.

This "mural-like" painting that greeted the guests

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-08 9:18 pm   Permalink

Fun topic! That last painting reminded me a bit of this one that I had posted in the Hawaiian Hut thread:

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 12:02 am   Permalink

Okay, it's missing the color and I don't know if it techically fits, but this was on the side of a building in San Francisco.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 8:26 pm   Permalink

Here is the entrance of the bldg. that has the images CheekyGirl posted.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-20 3:03 pm   Permalink

Great thread it was time to reacquaint myself with a look at it again, it's way fabulous start at page 1 and maybe some of you have some pic's to add to it? I would love to see more pictures here on TC ...

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 01:05 am   Permalink

It may soon be a victim of the wrecking ball, and so far I've failed to photo-doc it, but the now closed Bowl-O-Drome in Mo'ili'ili (mauka of Waikiki) has an alley wall with a kitschy fantasy mural from the 50s dipicting the Royal Court at play in lush tropical foliage, replete with ancient bowling activities and menehune stealing fish from the King's catch.

This now little known artifact is a cultural treasure on many levels, and is a true work of well done art.
It's bad enuf to loose this beautiful old school alley, but the dbl. whammy of losing the mural = too sucky.

I'd give anything to have even one pic to post.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 07:18 am   Permalink

Is that the one with an A-frame entrance on the other side of the freeway? Who is going to go there with a camera and tripod and document it. C'mon you whacky Waikikians!

Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 09:04 am   Permalink

Bigbro - you're probably thinking of Kam Bowl in Kalihi, but unfortunately it was knocked down a couple of months ago to make way for . . . a Walgreens. The Bowl-o-Drome still stands, but it's closed.

There wasn't much tiki at Kam Bowl anyway, but it did have mid-Century vibe in abundance, and I miss seeing that big A-Frame while driving home.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 09:37 am   Permalink

I know many on this forum will not like this, but Jimmy Buffett concerts have had some great murals over the years. The lighting changes, sun set stars com out and light go on inside the native huts. They are really well done and well drawn.

I found these photos on the internet.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 09:56 am   Permalink

The Hawaiian Inn in Daytona, Florida:

Here's a home bar with a terrific mural on the far wall:

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 10:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-21 09:56, GatorRob wrote:
Here's a home bar with a terrific mural on the far wall:

Who's home bar? That's really nice.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation