FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Polynesian Murals and Dioramas - Vintage & Other
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Polynesian Murals and Dioramas - Vintage & Other
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 10:41 am   Permalink

There's a huge mural at The Tradewinds Tropical Lounge in St. Augustine, FL.
You can kinda tell it's big by all the 8x11 photo frames that line the bottom of it (see second photo):

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 10:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-21 10:15, Swanky wrote:
Who's home bar? That's really nice.

Agghh, you had to ask! It took some head scratching to remember, but now I recall. It's at the home of the guy who directs Spongebob Squarepants.
Here's a link to his info page. About halfway down, there is a link to the pics of his home bar, the Halekahiki. Also, thanks to Digitiki, here is an audio tour of their bar (it's the last segment). So you can look at the pictures and listen to the tour.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2008-04-21 10:53 ]

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 12:00 pm   Permalink

Some more from Damon's in Glendale, CA.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 5:54 pm   Permalink

What a great thread! Thanks to Hiphipahula for bumping this up today to get some more interest, I missed this post the first time around. Here are some more murals from my postcard collection.

I will start with some oldies.

This is the Tropics Cocktail Lounge in the Hotel Phillips in Kansas City

The Bamboo Cabana Room at the Hotel Windemere in Santa Monica

The Beachcomber Bar at the Osprey Hotel, New Jersey

Next a couple from the classic establishments.

Don the Beachcomber at the St. Paul Hilton

The Surfboard Bar at the Mai Kai.

Next a few unusual places.

Bar at the China Royal (Chinese-Polynesian Cuisine) in Denville, New Jersey

The Pacific Hut, with locations in Brockton and Burlington Mass.

Benny Chan's Polynesian Restaurant in Salt Lake City.

Here is a more abstract mural from the Fiji Island restaurant in Maumee Ohio

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 08:16 am   Permalink

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but, the scene in the Surf Bar at the Mai Kai once moved. It had some sort of scene that slowly changed from morning, through the day to night or something. I'm not sure of the details. I'll see if I can find out. I wish there were som ebetter images of it.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-22 09:29 am   Permalink

Look at the freakin' pineapple bar stools at the surfboard Bar, how cool are those!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 09:47 am   Permalink

Swanky,

I had never heard that story about the changing scene behind the Surfboard Bar at the Mai Kai. That would be great if you could post some more information and or pictures of that, it sounds very cool.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 09:50 am   Permalink

The Mai-Kai surfboard bar mural is right behind these people. Unfortunately, you still can't really see much of it.

According to Tiki Kiliki (who probably got it from the family), it was "an animated scenery complete with Tikis, huts and dancers - at nightfall stars would appear and the entire wall would be lit as if in the moonlight."

Pretty cool, huh? Wish it was still there.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 1:17 pm   Permalink

I am not so sure about the animation part, but the "Nightfall effect" was a common concept in Tiki Bar murals, -the Hawaii Kai, the Kona Cove, the Kona Kai....a lot of them had these colored lighting dimming effects, going from overall bright sunny day, to orange sunsets, and then to blue night lighting. The stars were either little point lights that were dimmed up, or, beginning in the 60s, some places incorporated black light paint in their murals which would only highlight certain details once the "day" lighting was dimmed and the "night" black light came on. -Who here knows WHEN black light was first used like that? What year did Disneyland's "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" open?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 1:31 pm   Permalink

Wow! I love what appears to be vinyl tuck and roll cushioned siding on that piano at the Bamboo Cabana Room at the Hotel Windemere in Santa Monica!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 08:26 am   Permalink

Got word back from Annie about the Surfboard Bar diorama. She didn't recall anything moving, but just said it was very elaborate and had a lake with actual water that once kept a rat alive a bit before it was caught.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 12:18 pm   Permalink

So how come the Beachcomber Bar at the Osprey Hotel, New Jersey....

...uses the same character in its mural than Heilman's Beachcomber in Clearwater Beach Florida on its matches?:

I was only able to use the sign in the BOT:

I love the slogan inside the matchbook :

Maybe! The bar at the Osprey Hotel was probably run by Heilman's Restaurant Inc.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 2:11 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

Very interesting indeed. I had never made the Beachcomber connection before. Here is the back of the card from the Osprey. Pretty cool in that you wrote down the name of your "Mixologist" and your "Entertainer" and then sent to card off as an advertisement. There is no mention of the Heilmans ownership on the back however.

Even more interesting, and fitting for this thread, is the mural from the Heilmans Beachcomber. If you look closely, you see our mysterious running sailor man again! Coincidence??

Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:25 pm   Permalink

Regarding bigbrotiki's post on black light paint in murals...
I'm not sure when it started, but the Tower Theater here in Fresno has black light murals painted by Anthony Heinsbergen back in 1939. So the technique goes back at least that far.

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 11:38 am   Permalink

Wow, that's early! Are you certain the black light touches were not added later to it? I always thought that black light was developed by the Army in WWII, and that any public application of it did not happen until after the war. But I might be wrong.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation