FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Polynesian Murals and Dioramas - Vintage & Other
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Polynesian Murals and Dioramas - Vintage & Other
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-12 10:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-12 21:09, Dustycajun wrote:
Picked up this old postcard showing the Hawaiian Dining Room at the Old Hearst Ranch in Pleasanton, CA

The mural is from a Matson menu.

Back of the card describes the exotic dishes brought back from the South Sea Islands.

The really decked the place out in bamboo.

DC

Learning something new on TC every other day!: I knew and have been to Hearst Castle and its surrounding lands, but never heard of this place. apparently, it was a very popular tourist destination at some point:

Being a recreational place, it apparently shared California's early affinity to the Pacific islands:

...and now DC's postcard find proves again that at some point, hardly any Californian hospitality business could avoid being part of the Polynesian craze - even a "dude ranch"

DC, since it's in your neighborhood, have you been?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-13 09:27 am   Permalink

Here are a few murals from Adrift, a newer bar in Denver, CO. These are from www.critiki.com and their facebook page. I'll try and take some pictures next time I'm down there.

...and my favorite

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 8:05 pm   Permalink

GREAT Thread!!!!!
I've seen great Tiki murals on film in the background. Always wanted to know if they are real and where they come from and I've learn a lot from you tikiphiles on Tiki Central and from this thread. For fun I'ld like to post some screen captures of these murals shortly but first I like to reply to TikiTie above. Your favorite mural above is actually a copy of one of my favorite South Seas or Tiki movie promo images and for sure the best image of Brando's "Mutiny". We have the same taste TikiTie. Here are a couple of posters of the film. All European which usual make the best versions of film posters.

Spanish 1 sheet:

Italian 4 sheet (my favorite):

Smaller Italian film poster with color promo photograph from the studio of which is the inspiration or original of the paintings.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-02-11 20:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-02-11 20:12 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 11:18 pm   Permalink

Here's some screen captures of my favorite mural, the Eugene Savage mixed painting from different Matson cruise lines menus found in the Waldorf Vancouver. Anybody know if this was a repaint by Savage or by someone else? Today with a computer someone can combine the paintings and reprint it but I don't know how old this mural is.

Here in CHIPWRECKED:

In everyone's favorite Tiki movie to hate, THE EXPERTS with Travolta who married part Hawaiian beauty Kelly Preston:

and in THE PLEDGE here with Aaron Eckhart:

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-02-12 00:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-02-12 00:17 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-11 11:35 pm   Permalink

Eugene Savage, not Salvage.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 11:55 pm   Permalink

Good catch Grog. How embarrassing. Better salvage my post and edit now .

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-12 12:17 am   Permalink

The Waldorf mural is by Peter Hopkinson (based on Eugene Savage's work)

Interesting article
here.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-12 01:39 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info. Sweet Daddy.

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-12 01:41 am   Permalink

BigBroTiki,

The Hearst's Ranch was located in the east San Francisco bay area. W. R. Hearst's mother had an estate in Pleasanton, Ca. Evidently it became a Polynesian Dude Ranch some time after her passing, perhaps in keeping with the Parker Ranch on the Big Island. Her house eventually became a country club "club house" that burned down in the 1969. A new club house was built on the foundation and is in use today.

I've lived in the area over 10 years and never heard about the dude ranch. That area is all high end subdivisions and the country club now. I finally have a reason to go to the local historical museum to see if I can learn more!

Just did a web search and found a complete history of the property. The dude ranch phase was just a 12 year footnote in long and colorful history:
http://www.bunnweb.org/histdect/9-29-05.htm . It was in operation from 1940-1952.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-02-12 02:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-02-12 02:41 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-01 10:47 pm   Permalink

Found this for sale in Hawaii's Craigslist. Anybody know the artist or where this unrestored & restored paintings came from?

"Old oil painting from a Mainland Hawaiian restaurant. Probably from 1940-50's. Artist unknown. It is not stretched and needs restoration. Measures about 6 X 8 feet..." (remember the unrestored one is for sale if anyone is interested)

P.S. I don't know the seller just thought this would be a good mystery to solve by you TC sleuths.

tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-06-02 10:33 am   Permalink

The Disney Aulani Resort has a lot of murals. Enter 'Aulani murals' into Google Images and quite a few pictures come up. You can tell the architects borrowed from the Coco Palms. The Aulani website says the resort contains one of the largest collections of contemporary Hawaiian art in the country.

This video shows the 200-foot long lobby mural.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RRmc1zH-Dg

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-02 7:01 pm   Permalink

Oh my...that Disney ceiling is breath-taking, thanks for posting. All the murals in this thread are so beautiful.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-02 11:04 pm   Permalink

Agreed tikilongbeach. Check my comments and photos here: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29331&forum=2&start=90

tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-06-03 07:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-02 23:04, creativenative wrote:
Agreed tikilongbeach. Check my comments and photos here: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29331&forum=2&start=90

creativenative, thank you for including link to your previous comments.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation