FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Mug Glaze Cracking? What Causes it? How to Avoid it?
Tiki Mug Glaze Cracking? What Causes it? How to Avoid it?
TikiMonkeySpirtos
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-23 9:43 pm   Permalink

So my brother just received a new Tiki that had cracked glaze all over it?

What causes this? Is it usable, can you drink out of it? If it's due to age then how do avoid this with my other mugs?
-Jayson

View Profile of TikiMonkeySpirtos Send a personal message to TikiMonkeySpirtos  Goto the website of TikiMonkeySpirtos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 05:29 am   Permalink

A lot of glazes are really glass type material. So it glass and its very thin and I believe it has to do with shrinking over a more stable stone body. Thats the why part.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 05:36 am   Permalink

As far as I know it's completely usable and, in fact, I think it makes a mug look more classy and inviting. I'm told it's caused by expanding and contracting of the ceramic. I imaging hand washing your mugs instead of using a dishwasher would help prevent it. Hope this helps answer your question.

F

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation