[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving a very true realization
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
a very true realization
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 9:36 pm   Permalink

"I look at a show like "American Chopper" and gasp at the perfection those guys churn out"
-BK

Not sure how to take that line. I love watching that show and the bikes that come out of there are cool but I agree with the idea that in some cases they are just cake-decorators.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 07:27 am   Permalink

I've followed this thread from the start and just couldn't figure out how to jump in. I'm not too great at creating the words to express my feelings but i Know that when you start talking about the creativity process you will get as many ideas why this or that is the reason or everything and it gets all jumbled up in my feeble mind. I do know that beginning any carving is a challenge starting with drawing what you want to crate onto the wood. Weather you copy it from a pattern or totally freehand it, once you set the tools to the media, things change. Like Tama said you can keep to the plan and not let those irregularities sway you or you can make the changes and adjust things as you go. Both paths can produce excellent work and I'm not here to say either is good or bad. For me the challenge is in letting those changes take place and trying to figure out how to make them look right. I do not enjoy doing "taxidermy" carving, my thing is to keep the basic idea and shape but to make it look different at the same time. Every bit of detail is a challenge to be conquered and when that is done there is another one it created that must be fixed . I like to give Non human pieces human features and make them Seem human and not human. weather you are painting, carving, squishing clay playing a musical instrument, singing or even banging on rocks making small rocks, the creative process involves these challenges and meeting them and winning them is what makes Me feel happy and satisfied. it's where my enjoyment comes from.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 10:36 am   Permalink

I hear you Ben. To me, a carving is a "living thing" as it evolves and changes along the way. Over the years I have always started with an idea of where I wanted to end up, but the true enjoyment for me is the way I get there. I wouldn't want to "decorate cakes" or "carve by numbers." I like to go with the flow, think, then execute.

My lungs hurt now. You guys are messing with my head. I've got some serious psycho-symatic symptoms going on over here....

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation