FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Can Anyone ID this Statue?
Can Anyone ID this Statue?
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 10:56 am   Permalink

A friend of mine was given this little fella about 30 years ago by her aunt, and I was wondering if anyone here could help identify its provenance. Is it Polynesian or African? It's about 6-inches tall, and the orange markings are flourescent paint left over from the Age of Blacklight.

Mahalo in Advance!

Mr. BH

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2007-02-24 12:26 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 2:52 pm   Permalink

These were made in Mexico awhile ago also....

I think they were used for incense/ashtrays? the bottoms or backs should look unfinished. Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 3:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the photos, HOK. Judging by the overall design (and the paint) of those pieces, I think it's very likely my friend's statue comes from the same lineage. I'll ask her if there are any visible markings.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 06:15 am   Permalink

sweet, I have the tiki from the first photo. Now when you look from top down, the statue looks completely gray stone. And when you flip it feet first, and look down on it, it looks totally orange. I thought that someone spraypainted it after they bought it. I am since thought that I would like to see this effect done on a mug.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation