FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Scored this couch set for $200..
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Scored this couch set for $200..
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 03:17 am   Permalink

I picked this up today for $200 which i thought was pretty good as this stuff is hard to find here in Australia, there are 2x single seats and 2x doubles, obviously i plan to re-cover the cusions but the rattan is in good shape..
Can anyone tell me what it's worth or what you paid for a simmilar item???? there is a set on ebay for around $3000! which they claim is 1940's but i have no idea when this stuff was made..
Cheers..!!
Tiki Trav

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dibroc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 04:41 am   Permalink

Great score !

View Profile of dibroc Send a personal message to dibroc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 09:39 am   Permalink

Hi Trav-

Yeah you got a great score! I'm hardly an expert but what you have is attributed to Paul Frankl, although rarely if ever signed. I read someplace that depending on how many bands on the arms determines the age of the pieces. I have a set that has 6 bands on the arms and that is supposed to be from the 40s. I see you have the 4 band...so either it's 30s or 50s I can't remember which...then again the whole band thing might be a bunch of crap..who knows! Anyway you got an awesome deal! I found a set last summer consisting of 2 arm chairs, a 4 piece sofa- (2 slipper chairs and 2 one sided arm rest chairs)and a coffee table for $300. Mine have vinyl covers that are brown and orange floral-not beautiful by any means but in great shape, vintage, and fine for outside. Here is a link to see just how much these things are going for once restored and reupholstered.

http://www.springdalefurnishings.com/florida_room/springdale_florida_rm_sold.html

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 10:57 am   Permalink

..never mind those...let's have a look at those big red tikis in the background!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 11:05 am   Permalink

Awesome score!
With the current upholstery, you could get anywhere from $2K to $4K, depending on the area of the country you are in. Either way, if it's for personal use:
nice find

K.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-26 11:05, kikekeki wrote:
With the current upholstery, you could get anywhere from $2K to $4K, depending on the area of the country you are in.

What about the other side of the world?

Very nice score mate.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 3:13 pm   Permalink

I found that this kind of rattan is also referred to as "Godfather" because it was featured in the movie. I found the reference to the "bands" and dating the piece refers to the bases.
10 band=1930s,9 band= 1940s, 8 band=1950s.

Heywood Wakefield did a line called "Ashcraft" in the 1940s that is made to mimic rattan but made of Ash. Rattan was hard to get during WWII so they faked it with bent Ash. That furniture is really nice too, I have 4 barstools. The chair design is more square without the "square pretzel" curve of the Frankl design.

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 4:14 pm   Permalink

well i guess it was a good score! it has 10 bands on the base which may indicate that she is actually quite old AND a cool looking couch! Stoked!
Keep the info coming and thanks for the info so far guys, this has been quite an education..

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 10:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-26 10:57, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..never mind those...let's have a look at those big red tikis in the background!!

those big tikis are the refrigerator/freezer in our bar.. I do large format digital printing for work so i just drew 'em up, printed 'em on some self adhesive vinyl and SLAP! tiki fridge!

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-27 05:51 am   Permalink

Wow...what a beautiful set. Just get some vintage tropical print on those cushions and you'll be in heaven. Majorly jealous here!!!

If you haven't checked it out before, look at the great prints at
Barkcloth Hawaii

Show us more pictures once you get them set up in your tiki room so we can drool some more.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kustomtiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-04 09:14 am   Permalink

Great find!!

View Profile of kustomtiki Send a personal message to kustomtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BonefishBob

Posted: 2007-12-20 09:58 am   Permalink

That Fridge is tooo Keenoo, and I thought the one I did with bamboo slats was hot. You could take that idea to market. Anyway all this info on the rattan is invaluable. Keep it coming, in the mean time here are a few shots of mine. The Lanai is still a work in progress with a long way to go, but hey that's the fun of it. Looking for some vintage Lane surfboard end tables to match the coffee table but they are a bugger to find. The guy I bought my rattan from had tried to sell it in the largest yard sell in America, (goes from the Carolina's to Alabama) but after a week no one bit. He was sick of it taking up all his storage space so I hauled it off for $250.
"Momma, said there'd be days like that"

View Profile of BonefishBob Send a personal message to BonefishBob  Email BonefishBob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BonefishBob

Posted: 2007-12-20 11:04 am   Permalink

That Fridge is tooo Keenoo, and I thought the one I did with bamboo slats was hot. You could take that idea to market. Anyway all this info on the rattan is invaluable. Keep it coming, in the mean time here are a few shots of mine. The Lanai is still a work in progress with a long way to go, but hey that's the fun of it. Looking for some vintage Lane surfboard end tables to match the coffee table but they are a bugger to find. The guy I bought my rattan from had tried to sell it in the largest yard sell in America, (goes from the Carolina's to Alabama) but after a week no one bit. He was sick of it taking up all his storage space so I hauled it off for $250.
"Momma, said there'd be days like that"

View Profile of BonefishBob Send a personal message to BonefishBob  Email BonefishBob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Su-tiki

Posted: 2007-12-21 9:46 pm   Permalink

Very cool set. But ditch the plaid and re-upholster with tropical patterns .You scored big time. Love it!

View Profile of Su-tiki Send a personal message to Su-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 03:00 am   Permalink

Trav, they are hot ,youve given me an idea for a new range of sofas for my shops sofa collection.. Dude i think we met . via LJ in newcastle ,
dude we chatted on the phone for a sec .LJ said you planned a big tiki party at your joint. how did it go? any pics?..LJ said you planned a full tiki newyears...

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation