Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Dancing Tiki Drinks at the Oscars
Dancing Tiki Drinks at the Oscars
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 7:38 pm   Permalink

For those of you who miss the days when the Academy Awards provided real over-the-top entertainment value, take a look back at the 1989 Oscars - which featured dancing women with giant coconut mug drinks on their heads.

The clip also includes Vincent Price, Merv Griffen, Roy Rogers, Snow White, and Rob Lowe.

The dancing coconut drinks appear at about 2:20 into the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6Teda0y8A

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 11:51 pm   Permalink

goodness.

Can you image if they tried puttin' on a show like that these days?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-27 05:39 am   Permalink

Wow...that was like a bad acid trip!!! Rob Lowe singing to Snow White....bizzarre. Of course shades of Beach Blanket Babylon and if you are ever in San Francisco, go see that show, it is fantastic. No Rob Lowe but....

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 07:46 am   Permalink

One of the user comments... "oh sweet jesus" ... just about sums it up.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 08:32 am   Permalink

That was the year the Oscars were produced by Allan Carr (Grease, Can't Stop The Music, Where The Boys Are) and it's so typical of his tacky vulgarity. I don't mean that as insult, I'd much rather see something fun like this than that 3 hour snoozefest we had last Sunday.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 08:40 am   Permalink

Ah the coke addled 80s! Hooray for Hollywood! hahahha

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrMiguelito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-27 09:01 am   Permalink

Wow. That brings back memories. The Oscars actually used to be fun to watch because of stuff like this - the awful clothes, the political rants, the winners who won't leave the stage until they've thanked everyone and their dog, the oh-so-solemn Parade of the Dead People (my friends and I used to start singing Jim Carroll's "People Who Died" at that point in the show), the tacky-beyond-tacky dance numbers, the sheer unadulterated bad taste of it all. Yes, it was like watching a gory car crash, but nothing really died (except maybe a small part of your own soul from watching it). I miss those days.

[ This Message was edited by: DrMiguelito 2007-02-27 09:02 ]

View Profile of DrMiguelito Send a personal message to DrMiguelito  Email DrMiguelito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 11:31 am   Permalink

wish they woulda showed Roy and Dale more! fooey

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 1:02 pm   Permalink

oh.
my.
god.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 1:57 pm   Permalink

I'm hoping that someone wears one of those coconut drink headpiece outfits to this year's Hukilau fashion show.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 2:45 pm   Permalink

Has there been a song that suffered more abuse at the hands of others than "Proud Mary"? This version/mutation is right up there/down there with Leonard Nimoy's.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 6:35 pm   Permalink

It's funny, when I first saw this "back in the day" I was horrified and embarrassed by the cheesiness of it.

Today I watch it and love it for the cheese factor! Cyd Charisse and Roy & Dale Rogers at the Coconut Grove? Snow White seducing Steve Guttenberg? Chorus boys doing high kicks! Fabulous!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrMiguelito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-27 7:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-27 14:45, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Has there been a song that suffered more abuse at the hands of others than "Proud Mary"? This version/mutation is right up there/down there with Leonard Nimoy's.

Don't forget the Brady Kids version in Sid and Marty Krofft at the Hollywood Bowl. The poor kids in that audience must have spent years in therapy after that.

View Profile of DrMiguelito Send a personal message to DrMiguelito  Email DrMiguelito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
karmalaundry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-04 09:02 am   Permalink

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Those award show people have some quick nerds working for them!

[ This Message was edited by: karmalaundry 2007-03-04 09:03 ]

View Profile of karmalaundry Send a personal message to karmalaundry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation