FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Veteran Tiki Centralites
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Veteran Tiki Centralites
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 1:00 pm   Permalink

I don't think of myself as a veteran tiki centralite because i never posted on the yahoo original, but i was surprise to find I'd first posted on the third page of that thread.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 11:11 am   Permalink

Whether you are a newbie or "veteran", it does not matter.

Look, listen, learn, join-in when you feel the need, laugh, cry, give a pat on the back, a caring hug, a firm shake of the hand, or buy the next round of drinks. This is not not a multi-level marketing company, the armed forces or who has more (or less) of material things or knowledge than another.

This is Ohana.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-05 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 11:13, Swanky wrote:
Weird how 2002 is like ancient history. The internet is aging us fast! But then, you go back 5 more years and the Internet hardly existed to most folks. Who was online in 1997?

As I recall there was a web site called Swanky's Bachelor Pad in 1997. Am I right? And James' Tiki Bar Review Pages. And the Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai site. Things have sure changed, not necessarily for the worse. Sure, there are way more advertising and commercial sites, but the amount of useful and entertaining info these days is staggering, especially with the rise in blogging.

Remember Compuserve, BBs, and listserver forums? modslist!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-03-05 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 13:41, The Granite Tiki wrote:
...I'm sure there are many answers. But if there are latter stages to this Tiki lifestyle I've been leading for a few years now, I'd like to know what they may be, ...

Liver failure.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 11:13, Swanky wrote:
Who was online in 1997?

Me.

I'm not an old-timer here, but once I discovered this place and BOT, etc I dove in head first. No dip of the toe for me. More like headfirst off the high dive. Tiki started moving through my veins like a virus and I couldn't get enough. Still can't really. I get frustrated when there's not so much left to uncover anymore. (Although the Volcano thread proves there might be more lurking out there.) The excitement of that initial discovery is the best. Jealousy is not an admirable thing, but I am admittedly jealous of those who discovered it all before me and were thrilled with each new discovery as it happened. I'm even more jealous of those who enjoyed it all first hand some 40-50 years ago. But then again, a lot of them are dead and I'm not, so maybe I'm not THAT jealous.

But Tiki Central keeps chugging on with its ebb and flow of activity. As soon as you think it's about dried up, a new well springs up somewhere.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-05 11:11, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Whether you are a newbie or "veteran", it does not matter.

Look, listen, learn, join-in when you feel the need, laugh, cry, give a pat on the back, a caring hug, a firm shake of the hand, or buy the next round of drinks. This is not not a multi-level marketing company, the armed forces or who has more (or less) of material things or knowledge than another.

This is Ohana.

Exactly, also not a place to blow into without any sensitivity. It's not a business first, it's a culture first. It IS Ohana, and it IS Aloha. Shameless capitalism and blatant self-promotion have no place here.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 6:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Shameless capitalism and blatant self-promotion have no place here.

Hey JT, isn't that place called Tiki Marketplace?Capitalism is about free markets, and Tiki Marketplace is a free marketplace, so no reason for any shame at all! Unless someone's trying to huckster some cell phones.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 7:39 pm   Permalink

Capitalism is fine, shameless capitalism is not. There is a difference.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 08:47 am   Permalink

GatorRob, the Volcano thread is exactly why TC is important. If we get every known place its own thread here, when the grand child comes to own the pile of stuff from the old tiki bar, and they go to the net and type it in, they will find us and start sharing. Even if they just say they want to sell it all off. They come here. We really need to be putting everything here and drawing all inquiries to the people that care. Without TC, the Volcano info would have been lost.

In 1996 I was a Junior in Computer Science in a networking class and the professor asked who had been on the Internet. One guy raised his hand. Mosaic...

Hukilau would not have existed without the Internet and TC. We have the chance to make a lot more of what we have too.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 10:12 pm   Permalink

I guess I'm a veteran. I always thought I was more of an inveterate.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 11:35 pm   Permalink

Kinda funny how this post has brought out some folks we haven't heard from in a while.
It doesn't seem like it's been that long that TC has been bringing people together for the love of Tiki but when you look back, a helluva' lot has been crammed in around here. All of the events and the new ones that keep evolving. All of the friends who have come and gone... and come back again.
I think that is probably the most interesting thing... the people we've stopped hearing from on TC. Where did they go? Have they moved on from TIki alltogether? or just lost the time to post here?
Anyway, like they say, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 07:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-06 23:35, Tiki Royale wrote:
Kinda funny how this post has brought out some folks we haven't heard from in a while.

I think that is probably the most interesting thing... the people we've stopped hearing from on TC. Where did they go? Have they moved on from TIki alltogether? or just lost the time to post here?

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.... and I like you TR -- so please -- don't make me kill you.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 08:49 am   Permalink

I sure do miss seeing some of those names that used to be so prevalent.

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 1:16 pm   Permalink

Oh PolyPop, I got your back.
Hey, I have pics of some revived rattan I should show ya... gotta gemember.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 4:59 pm   Permalink

I'm still here, though I post quite infrequently.
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation