FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 11:52 am   Permalink

Here's a review of TV from the Weekend Guide, dated Feb. 10, 1984. Found in the library, last year... just now getting it up. Kenike, notice how much it sounds like today - problems with mug shortages, due to theft, SMU kids, etc.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-13 11:52, Limbo Lizard wrote: Kenike, notice how much it sounds like today - problems with mug shortages, due to theft, SMU kids, etc.

You're right...that could have been written last week.

I stopped in Tuesday night to meet Grande Kahu for a $3 mai tai and the place was HOPPIN'! The Mai Tai was recently named one of the best cocktails in DFW or something like that in the local paper. Good for them. The BEST part for me that it was so loud in the lounge I couldn't hear the music that was playing.

Oyster bar starts on Friday. I'll check it out on Saturday when I'm in for dinner.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-08-13 7:58 pm   Permalink

Limbo Lizard -

That article is a gem! What struck me was how many college kids "got it" back then and knew where good drinks and good times could be found. The scorpion bowl was fun back then and it's still fun now.

I remember that the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's was an "adult" and "sophisticated" evening-out back in the 1980s when I was in college. You still had to wear a suit and a tie back then and the drinks would definitely impress your dates. There was that aura of Old Hollywood about it too, and since most of my friends were trying to break into the movie business, that lent an extra cachet to the experience too.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 10:53 am   Permalink

Visited last night ($3 Mai Tais), and the lounge and - more importantly - dining area, was busy. It's "Restaurant Week", so that's responsible for some increased traffic - hopefully, they'll like it and return. But it's been steadily busier, each time I visit, lately. They finally received a fresh load of mugs and bowls, so they weren't having to ration them. They even had them for sale in the display case.
Saw the new oyster bar - quite a variety of fresh oysters, but I'm not an oyster fan, so someone else will have to provide that evaluation!
After a year of worry, I feel more confident that they'll have enough business to at least survive. Once they are financially stable and secure, we can start working on that music.
Oh, and finally tried the coconut prawn soup. Now I know why everyone raves about it!

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hazmania
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-13 10:41 am   Permalink

Dallas Trader Vic's death rattle heard 8:42pm 9/12.

Went to TV last night for my birthday dinner with a party of six ( or at least tried.) This was the worst experience I have had at any TV. Had fun at the bar once we were able to maneuver away from the USC - Ohio State game. Bar was moderately full with NOBODY paying attention to the television. Why they do this on a Saturday night is beyond me. Drinks were fine. Only a few coconut mugs visible but a WHOLE lot of 75th mai tai glasses. Inventory management anyone?

The nightmare started when we moved to the dining room. They were first sold out of a couple of menu items (at 8pm Saturday?) We each ordered appetizers. Our poke was fine but one couple complained that their lobster spring roll dipping sauce had an "off" taste to it. They requested a different sauce and everything was fine. The entrees came in waves: fish first, 2 mu shu duck about five minutes later, and my new york strip MIA. They shred the duck tableside. The three with fish watched patiently for 5- 10 minutes while the server shredded the duck and their entrees cooled. I requested the others in my party to start without me. My entree arrived about 5 minutes after he was done carving the duck. I was unfortunately presented with six 1/4" disks of steak on the raw side of rare. They couldn't have spent more than 15 seconds per side on the grill. In fact, I don't even think it was the right entree. It looked like a butterflied filet. The waiter assured me that it was the new york strip and took it back to be corrected. After another 5 -10 minutes, the waiter returned with a plate of the same disks cooked to a solid gray (well done?) with the sides and presentation gone. The meat was so tough at this point it was difficult to cut with the steak knife. The rest of the party had finished their entrees by this time. To his credit, the floor manager spotted the presentation as he walked by our table, insisting he take the plate away and offered to give me a "quick" stir fry as replacement. He said, "at least you will have something to eat." Not a lot of fun having 5 people finished with their meal watching you eat yours. I rushed to eat some of it before the desserts arrived. (The waiter had taken orders before the stir fry.) My sister-in-law's brownie was so hard that she couldn't cut it with a knife and fork. Google Dallas Trader Vic's and you will find a similar comment on Tripadvisor from August.

What happened? I have always had good experiences in the twenty or so times I have dined here in the past. Is it cost cutting? Most restaurants are on their A game Saturday nights. The dining room was maybe half full. I wonder how many other diners will never go back because of a similar experience. The bar is fine - stay there and stick with the appetizers. I don't know how this place can survive. The kitchen is killing it. I can't in good conscience recommend this place anymore.

View Profile of hazmania Send a personal message to hazmania  Email hazmania     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 08:12 am   Permalink

Congrats on your b-day! Mine was the 11th.

Man, I'm sorry to have heard about this experience. I was thinking that IF they are open next year I might have a small gathering on my 35th at TV and attempt to secure the private room. But if this is going to turn into a trend, I'll be disappointed at such a great place falling so fast. Hopefully this is was due to a bad cook/staff.

Hopefully if enough people bring that to their attention, they will do something about it.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2009-09-14 08:13 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 4:11 pm   Permalink

Well, I guess the only consistent thing is their inconsistency! Crappy, one night, then fine, a few days later.
We went, last night, for $3 Mai Tais and dinner (we ate in the lounge).
We checked out the latest iteration of the bar food menu, then ordered from the regular dinner menu. Monica had the filet mignon, and thought it one of the best she's had, anywhere. I had Gingered Beef - good every time I've had it, and it was again. Mai Tais also good. Music was decent - lounge-y jazz, not too loud. Overall, a great evening for us.
Of note on the current bar food menu: the Trader Vic's Burger, and Fish and Chips. Also, noticed about 8 or 10 coconut mugs on the shelves.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-16 16:11, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Music was decent - lounge-y jazz, not too loud.

Lounge/jazz would be a huge improvement if they'd stick with it. Last time I was there I told mgt. that I had to go "because of Funky Town..." no lie.

I tried the Fish-n-Chips...meh.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 12:44 pm   Permalink

Stopped by Vic's Crab Shack & Sports Bar last night. It was PACKED early on for some political fundraiser but we managed to score a table.

Drinks were WAY off for some reason, couldn't see who was making them because they were so busy. Next time it's that busy I'll just stick with mai tai's. Appetizers were great.

Music: "Guns And Bombs" by Buju Banton, "I'll Be There" by Emma, plenty o' disco...you get the picture. They have the music running off a laptop now that runs some pre-programmed playlists. Jason (mgr) asked me to provide a CD of some appropriate Trader Vic's music which I am more than happy to do.

surfalaia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 12:55 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: surfalaia 2009-09-27 22:46 ]

View Profile of surfalaia Send a personal message to surfalaia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-27 3:28 pm   Permalink

Well they can't ever use the excuse "we don't have it" if you ask them to play some Exotica/Hawaiian music. They now have 175 songs.

Grande Kahu and I stopped in last night and food and drinks were good. Music was reggae. (???)

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 11:47 am   Permalink

Kenike, did you include Don Ho's cover of "Funky Town"?
I'm going tonight for $3 Mai Tais... I'm interested to see (er, hear) if your music contribution is evident.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-09-29 14:42 ]

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 2:24 pm   Permalink

My report for last Tuesday, in the TV lounge: No reggae. No Margaritaville. No Urban. No disco. Just Hawaiian and Exotica. They're using your stuff, Kenike!
Jason wasn't there, but I told the hostess I "really liked the new music - fits the atmosphere, more". She thanked me, and said she'd pass that on to the manager. The bartender said he thought it was more in tune with the whole concept, too.

Well, I finally broke down and tried the Trader Vic's burger - actually, ordered it split, and shared it with my wife. Very good, I must say. Monica (who's less hesitant about using superlatives) said she thinks it was the best burger she's ever had.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-01 14:24, Limbo Lizard wrote:
My report for last Tuesday, in the TV lounge: No reggae. No Margaritaville. No Urban. No disco. Just Hawaiian and Exotica. They're using your stuff, Kenike!
Jason wasn't there, but I told the hostess I "really liked the new music - fits the atmosphere, more". She thanked me, and said she'd pass that on to the manager. The bartender said he thought it was more in tune with the whole concept, too.

Whaa??

This is the TV in DALLAS you went to, right?

I have to say I'm quite stunned. I was pretty sure it would end up a coaster like the other CD's I've given them.

Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-05 7:01 pm   Permalink

Yeah! Excellent news! And a damn fine CD you wrought Kenike!

GK

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation