FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-05 1:55 pm   Permalink

There are a few more pictures of the Dallas Trader Vics at this website - including one of the architect standing out front

http://www.pegasusnews.com/photos/galleries/2007/feb/28/tradervics/

The last time I was in Dallas was in 1989 - the year Trader Vics there closed. It may be time to come and visit again.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2007-03-05 2:29 pm   Permalink

I thought that was Roberto from Spain in the picture. He was my favorite bartender at Emeryville in the last couple of years. I hope he comes back. He really knows cocktails and how to mix them. Tell him I said Hi!

midnite: You didn't mention that in the photo Gilligan's Island was being shown on the TV in the bar! I never saw that in a Trader Vic's. They must have stole that idea from the Conga Lounge

But seriously, this is brilliant! I can't believe the level of restoration detail they went to. Bravo Trader Vic's! Gives me lots of hope for the new Chicago Vic's.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-06 11:57 am   Permalink

Questions for the local ohana:

Is the Palomar really worth the $199(+ tax)/ night?

Is the hilltop still around down there? What other hotels are close to Vic's?

Our flights are booked so we will definitely be in Big-D on 4 & 5 May to check out the new TV's. Who's up for happy hour?

Are there any other worthy tiki establishments in the area?

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 12:26 pm   Permalink

Here's a link to a GREAT old photo of the old entrance. Note what's standing guard on the left:

http://www.palomardallas.com/news-1.html

And here's a pseudo-review of the place. Be sure and hit the links highlighted (simmering, campy, movement) for a giggle.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/feb/28/tiki-time-dallas-re-opening-trader-vics/

And no, that ain't so facsimile in front now, as the article falsely states.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2007-03-06 2:31 pm   Permalink

Here's what our friend looked like in 1999 when I was on a road trip in the area.

It appears that he was moved from his original location near the entrance (as seen in Formikahini's link to the old photo).

I'm so glad they found him and plan to use him at the new Vic's!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-06 2:37 pm   Permalink

What a gorgous place!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-06 11:57, rugbymatt wrote:
Questions for the local ohana:

Is the Palomar really worth the $199(+ tax)/ night?

Is the hilltop still around down there? What other hotels are close to Vic's?

Our flights are booked so we will definitely be in Big-D on 4 & 5 May to check out the new TV's. Who's up for happy hour?

Are there any other worthy tiki establishments in the area?

The Palomar is pricey and from what I've heard it's really, really nice. Worth $199? Depends on who you ask. There are plenty of other hotels in the area. There are lots of hotels up and down 75 and TV is on Mockingbird and Central Expwy (75) so there are plenty of choices within a reasonable driving distance. Unless you plan on getting totally hammered, then the Palomar is well worth it. Best thing to do is Google "hotel" "dallas" and "central expressway" and you'll get a big list. Then use Google Maps to see how close they are to Mockingbird. Check out the
Radisson...they're fairly close.

As far as other tiki establishments, there's maybe two other places you'll even see a tiki...the Monkey Bar & Coconuts. Both will be HUGE letdowns after visiting Trader Vic's. Personally I wouldn't bother.

I should be able to join you on either of those nights...send me a PM when we're a week or two out and we can make arrangements.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-06 8:04 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Kenike!

I know things have changed a ton from when I used live in the M Streets. I remember when the big Krogers opened at the Dr. P plant. I remember several hotels but just can't connect the names any more, the Radison looked good and there was one other one right in that area as well. After looking at the price of rentals we might just cab it in from DFW and stay at the Palomar. Vic's is right there and we're a short walk from the Quins pitch at Glencoe for Saturday's match.

Anyway, I'll PM you as the date gets closer. This will serve as a dry run for Hukilau.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 12:02 pm   Permalink

Wow, fantastic photos, can't wait to get there! maybe next year...

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 10:09 pm   Permalink

This is so exciting! I'll be in Dallas at the end of March; I will definitely have to check out this gorgeous new Traver Vic's! Can't wait to try the Dallas Star too!

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 08:03 am   Permalink

Texas Tikiphile gathering at Trader Vic's on Cinco de Mayo!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 2:39 pm   Permalink

A few new pics. I took these earlier this week before they were open so the lighting wasn't what it usually is.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-11-22 15:52 ]

ikitnrev

Posted: 2007-04-05 09:02 am   Permalink

The Dallas News has a good article (Tuesday, April 3rd) on the new Dallas Trader Vic's -- they even give a mention to Tiki Central in the article! Also present on-line are two video segments - the first shows a bit of the actual inside decor, the second shows you how to make the Dallas Blue Star drink.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/taste/dining/stories/DN-nf_trader_0404liv.ART.State.Edition1.1687ee.html

(from the above article)
But not all of the restaurant's fans are old-timers. Dennis Haberkern, a 41-year-old McKinney resident, is too young to have enjoyed the Dallas Trader Vic's scene the first time around, much less the heyday of tiki style.

Still, he's a self-proclaimed "Poly-pop" aficionado, and part of the Tiki Central network an online community of tiki culture devotees (www.tikicentral.com). "I've been holding a vigil for two years," Mr. Haberkern says, referring to the restaurant's renovation. Since Trader Vic's reopening, he has visited six times.

"You won't find a restaurant like this anywhere in Texas," says Mr. Haberkern, who managed to be the first customer at the Scottsdale Trader Vic's when it opened. "Nothing even comes close."

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-05 2:08 pm   Permalink

I was thrilled they gave Tiki Central a plug. I really tried to emphasize it's importance to the woman who wrote the article.

I was less than thrilled with what they decided to use in the video. I was asked to be prepared to talk about why TV is important to the tiki community. I gave a really nice speech about how Trader Vic's is one of only a handful of places left where you can experience a unique slice of American pop culture the way it was 40 or 50 years ago...etc. The camera guy was so impressed with it that he made me repeat the whole thing so he got a good recording of it...then edited it out! The comments he kept in were things I said almost off the cuff...like the Tom Selleck comment. Lesson learned: don't open your mouth if you don't want them to use it. I should have just gave answers to questions I wished he'd asked (like politicians do).

Rumbuddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-09 10:36 am   Permalink

I read about the Dallas opening in the newspaper last week and immediately designated Saturday night as THE NIGHT. I couldn't wait to go and I wasn't disappointed!

I wanted to dress tropically but it was freezing out, so, I was the most colorful lady in the room among all the tan, brown and black clad women. I hope patrons get more into it in the warmer weather!

We arrived at 9:30pm without a reservation and were told there would be about a 15 minute wait. The bar was crowded and we had to wait a r e a l l y long five minutes at least to order. The crowd was well dressed, and in their 30s-50s+.

First order of business, the Dallas Star, because I HAD to have the glass, but was expecting something yucky. I was wrong and it was very good and I will order it again and again. I ordered my husband a Mai Tai since his experience with alcohol has been painfully limited to wine and margaritas. He liked the Mai Tai, but it is not my favorite.

Thankfully, the 15 minute wait part was not true. It was more like an hour. I asked the adorable young Phil, one of the four or so friendly bartenders, to prepare a Menehune because I wanted one of those little naked menehunes for my collection, but he talked me out of it because it is similar to the Mai Tai.

So, I needed the Tiki Puka Puka. He warned me twice that it was very strong, but I was never one to be afraid of a little more alcohol. It was served with a gorgeous floating gardenia, which I am still enjoying two days later. It was strong for give or take two sips, after that, I really didn't notice. I had a very big smile for no particular reason, and made friends with some young ladies sitting next to us who had already developed a reputation for imbibation at the bar. I would have liked to sing along to the Gilligan Island song at the beginning of a new episode because you see the text on the screen, but no one else seemed to notice.

Our waiter was Shawn and he took good care of us, making suggestions for my Weight Watchers needs - which I promptly disregarded. Everything we ate was excellent: the Ahi Tuna Poke with taro chips, halibut with sweet potatoes, the fillet with rice, asparagus and carrots, and for dessert, the coffee creme brulee. SO GOOD!

Some of the music was OK, but it could have been better. I also would have liked more relics and memorabilia, but that is OK too, the place was head to toe tiki and the food and drinks were divine experiences.

I took a few photos and will post them soon. I will be counting the days until May 5 for my next Tiki (puka puka) fix!

View Profile of Rumbuddy Send a personal message to Rumbuddy  Email Rumbuddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation