FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 12:08 pm   Permalink

Sad situation.....sad...sad....sad !!

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 12:23 pm   Permalink

But it is a reality we have to face. I am sometimes wondering: It being obvious that the general public, especially in non-traditional Tiki states, is not aware of Tiki culture, and is lacking the contemporary context that once was there in the 50s and 60s, does it go beyond the fact that they do not have the "education" that it takes to understand the style, but do they actually feel alienated in an environment that they cannot place anywhere, that does not relate to the world they know? Does it actually make them feel "uncomfortable" because of that?
Why does this style that feels so cozy, so wonderfully entertaining and escapist to us, not create the same reaction in more members of the working public?

I realize that Trader Vic's prices are not conducive to this economic climate, and that location plays a large part in the popularity of a place, but there are pricey, off the beaten path restaurants that do not have to struggle even today. Another reality is that of the short-livedness of the restaurant industry, concepts get old VERY fast. Tradition does only count to a few in this country.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DavidAfshar

Posted: 2010-01-12 2:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for clearing up some of my (mis)information. Boy, will the ups and downs with Trader Vic's Dallas ever stop? In the space of 24 hours I was freaked they would be ruining the location, relieved that they just had to do some minor repairs, and now...well, I'm not sure what to think. "Tropical Island Grill" huh? Sounds like perhaps the upscale retro swankiness will be gone???? Should I be expecting Luau burgers instead of Crispy Duck????

It's really too bad that TV's seem to think they have to redecorate (no matter how lightly). Of all of the people I've turned on to the place (the vast majority of whom would not know what a tiki is if it bit them you-know-where), the first thing they mention about the place is how cool it looks. Some have complained about the price-point, and at times the food was a bit off for others (though it has improved greatly), but I've never heard anyone complain about the vibe of the place. Not once.

I've never run a restaurant, so I have no leg to stand on, but it seems to me that TV Dallas just doesn't know what to do with themselves. It seems every other week they're changing something around. Perhaps the renovations will not be as extensive as I (and I'm sure all of you) fear and this "Tropical Island Grill" concept will be the thing that sticks and keeps this great time capsule of a location alive for years to come. I'm hopeful--but God! they're giving me an anxiety attack over this stuff! Maybe I just need to whip up some Mai Tais to take the edge off

David

View Profile of DavidAfshar Send a personal message to DavidAfshar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Charlie
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-12 6:24 pm   Permalink

THANK YOU for posting all the Dallas Trader Vic's shots. So glad we could all meet on New Year's Eve and bring in 2010.

View Profile of Tiki Charlie Send a personal message to Tiki Charlie  Email Tiki Charlie Goto the website of Tiki Charlie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 04:52 am   Permalink

Bummer, I went last Saturday and felt like I couldn't get into Disneyland. Was going to go back this weekend.... thanks for the heads up guys.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 08:11 am   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeiaA43eD_o

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-15 10:41 am   Permalink

I wonder if the "repairs and sprucing up" will include re-hanging those upside-down doors in the entry?

(Image rotated )

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-15 12:50 pm   Permalink

Haaaa! I never knew that! With this, Dallas TV's joins other illustrious places in displaying upside down Tikis, like the Bali Hai and Sam's Seafood/Kona.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-16 2:28 pm   Permalink

When they reopened in 2007, those doors were mounted to the wall. They are actually the third set of doors to go through to get in with the second set usually propped open. When the cold breeze became too much for people trying to eat/drink, they put the doors back up but upside-down. The tiki people noticed the mistake immediately but TV never bothered to fix it.

And I seriously doubt the "sprucing up" will include turning the doors...if no one cared for almost 3 years why would anyone care now? I say we volunteer to fix it ourselves...if they ever reopen.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-16 6:37 pm   Permalink

Well we might just have the mystic answer to this location's up and dpwn fortunes here: Hanging an ancestor carving pointing DOWN is bad mojo!

Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 6:20 pm   Permalink

Online Dallas news article links to this thread:
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2010/jan/18/trader-vics-palomar-dallas-temporarily-closed-whil/

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-20 07:56 am   Permalink

I left my comment.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiarch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-22 6:17 pm   Permalink

On 2010-01-12 12:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
... but do they actually feel alienated in an environment that they cannot place anywhere, that does not relate to the world they know? Does it actually make them feel "uncomfortable" because of that?
Why does this style that feels so cozy, so wonderfully entertaining and escapist to us, not create the same reaction in more members of the working public?

Thanks bigbro - been thinking lots about this lately. I dont think they feel alienated, I think it's more about the price point and upscale/formal service. I think people feel more at home in the bar where there are no tablecloths and they feel they can get more roudy. The space plan in Dallas is very segragated with no energy from the bar spilling into the dining area. This i feel is also a big problem.

View Profile of tikiarch Send a personal message to tikiarch  Goto the website of tikiarch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiarch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-22 6:26 pm   Permalink

oh - and regarding the upside down entry doors. this happened because codes have changed and the doors previously swung in. When we removed them and mounted them fixed I believe they were correct. When they rehung them due to the cold winds, they would have needed a carpenter to rework the mortise for the hinges so they could open out as required for fire codes. just my educated guess. (and probably the waiter they told to do it didnt even realize they were upside down).

View Profile of tikiarch Send a personal message to tikiarch  Goto the website of tikiarch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 10:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-22 18:26, tikiarch wrote:
oh - and regarding the upside down entry doors. this happened because codes have changed and the doors previously swung in. When we removed them and mounted them fixed I believe they were correct. When they rehung them due to the cold winds, they would have needed a carpenter to rework the mortise for the hinges so they could open out as required for fire codes. just my educated guess. (and probably the waiter they told to do it didnt even realize they were upside down).

Makes sense, Tikiarch. Not being up to code never even occurred to me.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-01-23 12:02 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation