FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 6:21 pm   Permalink

Of course, there's always Plan B:

All you Texas Tikiphiles, buy a ticket - $27.4 million cash. If one of us wins, buy the interior, lock, stock, and barrel. Build a replica TV lounge in your new house (minus the video screens). Then - this is the important part - extend an open invitation to the rest of us.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
genmgr

Posted: 2010-02-13 10:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-11 10:13, TxTikiGirl wrote:
Now where am I supposed to have my birthday dinner? This is so sad...

I'm in the same boat, have gift certificates set aside for a 2/20 party that will never come to pass now...

-CP

View Profile of genmgr Send a personal message to genmgr  Goto the website of genmgr     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TxBwana

Posted: 2010-02-14 09:23 am   Permalink

I just found out that Trader Vic's is closed... thanks for letting us know. I am so totally bummed out. It was my favorite restaurant and now where am I going to go for Valentine's Day, my birthday, Mother's Day, anniversary, the full moon, and every other excuse I could think of? Bummer. I think it was probably just too unique for Dallas. In Dallas, the wealthy build pseudo- Italian or French villas instead of something more fitting the landscape and fill them with oil paintings of European street scenes....

[ This Message was edited by: TxBwana 2010-02-14 09:35 ]

View Profile of TxBwana Send a personal message to TxBwana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-14 10:06 am   Permalink

genmgr & TxBwana, welcome to Tiki central!

I was going to get some gift certificates myself, good thing huh. Too bad they weren't good for the booze.

I was hoping to secure the private room for my birthday for September. Man, I wonder if I could afford the booth I always sat at.

Aloha!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chrisburkley

Posted: 2010-02-15 1:22 pm   Permalink

I have been scouring the web for articles related to Trader Vics. I have booked the restraurant for my Rehearsal Dinner on April the 23rd and have already paid a $1300 deposit. Does anyone have any contact information that might help me find out how to get my money returned or know of anyone that might know where to start?

View Profile of Chrisburkley Send a personal message to Chrisburkley      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-15 2:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-15 13:22, Chrisburkley wrote:
I have been scouring the web for articles related to Trader Vics. I have booked the restraurant for my Rehearsal Dinner on April the 23rd and have already paid a $1300 deposit. Does anyone have any contact information that might help me find out how to get my money returned or know of anyone that might know where to start?

Have you tried the Northern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court?

In all seriousness, good luck getting your money back. Try contacting Kenike. He's the man with connections to Vic's management, and might be able to point you in the right direction.

[ This Message was edited by: Austin_Tiki 2010-02-15 14:06 ]

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-15 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

"[I] have already paid a $1300 deposit. Does anyone [know] how to get my money returned...?"

Trader Vic's:
"In lieu of cash, we are returning your deposit in the form of these two beautiful entry doors."

Sorry to hear they've thrown your plans off kilter, even if you get your deposit back. I don't think they've actually gone bankrupt; I think it's that they lose money more slowly closed, than open. But Austin_Tiki's right, send a message to Kenike, and see if he can give you an idea of where to start.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-15 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I sent him a PM...

And I'm sure he's not the only one. Office parties and wedding receptions are booked months and months in advance.

There are a few mentions on FB about items people won but never received, unused gift certificates, and you can STILL buy gift certificates
here.

I did try to book reservations but was unsuccessful.

I was there today and noticed someone taped this to the front gate:

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 04:39 am   Permalink

Drat. Here I sit in Dallas with no Trader Vics. The last time I was here it was late getting re-opened so I couldn't go. Now it's closed.

I stopped into a place called The Cave in Arlington tonight while I was out photographing motels on Division Street...not tiki, despite the sign claiming it to be. Tuesday night I was at a concert at the House of Blues and saw a place called Tiki Bob's. My tiki sense didn't tingle, so I avoided it.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 08:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-25 04:39, tikijackalope wrote:
I stopped into a place called The Cave in Arlington tonight while I was out photographing motels on Division Street...not tiki, despite the sign claiming it to be. Tuesday night I was at a concert at the House of Blues and saw a place called Tiki Bob's. My tiki sense didn't tingle, so I avoided it.

The Cave, yeah it has/had tiki in the "backyard". The place is a nice dive, very rockabilly/hot rod/low-brow. But it has been a few years since I went in there. Tiki Bob's is still open?! What a dump. Yeah, don't go there. Think of it as Razoo's with a tropical twist. Jimmy Buffet would love the place. I think there are a few articles here on the board about them:

The Cave
Tiki Bob's

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blixathecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-10 6:50 pm   Permalink

Yea.... when I heard the news, I didn't believe it. We went every month for drinks and every event. I'm going to miss my Mai Tai's there.

So I'm going to assume they are not auctioning off, but taking to corp? Any word?

Sean (blixathecat)

View Profile of blixathecat Send a personal message to blixathecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blixathecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-10 6:53 pm   Permalink

And like many people here, I bought GC's for my next party there in one month. It was fun while it lasted!

Sean (blixathecat)

View Profile of blixathecat Send a personal message to blixathecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-28 2:09 pm   Permalink

Yayyy...retail!

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering about the decor, the Trader Vic's Moving Van pulled up and relieved the space of every single vintage pole, the green ceramic tiles, several lamps and all of the vintage wall panels. Supposedly, it's all going to the new TV locations in the Middle East. However, many of those poles were custom cut for Dallas, so I think it's pretty obvious where much of this is going to end up. You west-coasters win again.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-03-28 14:16 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Vic's_Dallas

Posted: 2010-04-14 07:50 am   Permalink

Dear Fellow Tiki Lovers,

We apologize for the lengthy silence. As you may know, earlier this year a pipe burst in our restaurant. We tried tirelessly to find a way to keep the doors open, but the cost of remodeling was just too high. We will not be reopening Trader Vic's Dallas, however, we are very excited about a new concept restaurant that will be taking over the space. For now, that is all we can share. Thank you for all the great memories at Trader Vic's Dallas!

Regarding gift cards: Any gift card for Trader Vic's Dallas (with an expiration date later than our closing date) will be honored in equal value by the new restaurant in the space.

I am checking on the status of selling decor and such right now, and will let you all know as soon as I hear back. We will also be posting updates on our Facebook fan page (link below).

Lastly, I know many of you are sad and some may even be upset with us. But please realize we too lost our beloved Trader Vic's. For us, Trader Vic's Dallas was where we worked and played. We spent our days thinking of how to run the business and improve the restaurant, and our nights drinking Mai Tai's with friends. (No no, not every night) Again, thank you all your tremendous support over the years, and of course the good times!

View Profile of Trader_Vic's_Dallas Send a personal message to Trader_Vic's_Dallas  Goto the website of Trader_Vic's_Dallas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 8:10 pm   Permalink

Cabo Wabo?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation