FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Austin57

Posted: 2010-04-19 6:01 pm   Permalink

The drinks here were trash with a couple of exceptions, but the decor was surprisingly decent. I am not too surprised it closed.

This was pretty much the best tiki joint anyone in Dallas could ever hope to get, that is for sure. I don't think from my experience that they are too full of "the aloha spirit" around those parts (lived there for 20 years). definitely looking forward to the sale.

View Profile of Austin57 Send a personal message to Austin57      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-19 6:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-19 18:01, Austin57 wrote:
I don't think from my experience that they are too full of "the aloha spirit" around those parts (lived there for 20 years). definitely looking forward to the sale.

When did you live in Dallas and when did you visit Trader Vic's? There's plenty of aloha spirit in the Dallas area as well as all over TX. I've met hordes of folks 'round these parts with a deep appreciation for tiki. The problem was that Trader Vic's flawed business model failed to reel them in, and many of those who frequented TV's were turned off by the high prices and inconsistent food. Of course, aloha spirit in N. Texas pales in comparison to tiki ground zero of So. California, but there's plenty of it here now if you know where to look.

And as far as the sale goes, there's basically no vintage left. TV corporate took it all in March....the poles, the panels the ceramic tiles, one of the bar tops and all the old monkeypod table tops. There's no mugs or bowls and very little glassware. There's a few lampshades, 2 floats and a bunch of Asiantique panels (fanged tikis). I think there's 6 Asiantique poles left but I know 3 are damaged. The big 12 foot Asiantique tiki is still out front as well as the Trader Vic's sign...why didn't corporate take THAT??

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-04-19 18:28 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Vic's_Dallas

Posted: 2010-06-28 10:37 am   Permalink

Pictures of the items for sale from Trader Vic's Dallas have been posted to the Facebook Page. If you are interested in purchasing something, please email TraderVicDallas@gmail.com with a link to the picture of the item you're interested in.

http://www.facebook.com/tradervicdallas

View Profile of Trader_Vic's_Dallas Send a personal message to Trader_Vic's_Dallas  Goto the website of Trader_Vic's_Dallas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 1:50 pm   Permalink

Don't bother emailing them if you don't live in Dallas. They're not interested in shipping to anybody, even though it wouldn't cost them a dime. They cited "local interest" and the cost of shipping when we sent an email inquiring about over a dozen items. It appears they'd rather sell to people who will most likely sell this stuff on eBay in a month or so, or will sell it in their own retail shops, than those who would actually use these items in their own tiki bars and collections.

Too bad we even wasted our time.

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 4:29 pm   Permalink

I'm curious why you say that "it wouldn't cost them a dime" to ship items? How does that work?

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 5:32 pm   Permalink

Maybe he was offering to cover shipping? But it does sound just a wee bit like sour grapes to me....
I have found many times that if people want their Tiki, but can't have it, things turn unpleasant.

In all fairness, it would have been nice for the Dallas TV folks to mention that it would be local pick up only, so out-of-towners would not waste their time viewing the slide show and writing long e-mails

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 5:33 pm   Permalink

It doesn't cost him a thing because the buyer pays for it. It doesn't matter how much shipping is if the buyer is willing to pay for it.

And yes, it's sour grapes to some extent. Don't tell me something is available to all, waste my time and then tell me never mind.

[ This Message was edited by: phinz 2010-06-28 17:38 ]

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 6:08 pm   Permalink

Aw man - some great stuff here... why didn't Dallas ship all their stuff back to the warehouse like a normal closing Trader Vic's? NOT FAIR ...just kidding Have fun Texans! Make sure to post pics of your treasures!

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lodge 9
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-22 5:16 pm   Permalink

Well they took down the sign & large tiki out front last week, I had sent an email request asking for pricing on some of the items as requested, and have not had any reply's. I spoke to the general contractor and was told the items were being stored. I also spoke to a couple of gentlemen that apeared to be overseeing the demo and new construction; i asked them about the float lamps and other items and was told they would email interested people as instructed on the now defunct facebook page. They said that they would send out pricing or they might give the items to charity. It looks like they are going to put in a sports bar.

Has anyone heard anything or received a quote on the tiki decor?

View Profile of Lodge 9 Send a personal message to Lodge 9  Email Lodge 9     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-26 08:56 am   Permalink

FYI

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/2010/08/not_dallas_don_the_beachcomber.php

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-10 2:31 pm   Permalink

Brackets is now open.

"Desecrating the space formerly occupied by Trader Vic's" (not my words)

I'm not gonna try it. You try it.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-12-10 14:35 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-10 2:41 pm   Permalink

To comment on Brackets, I will paraphrase from the Pricess Bride:
"My name is RugbyMatt. You killed Trader Vics, prepare to die!"

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-10 7:00 pm   Permalink

That place looks like crap, I hope they loose a million dollars on the deal.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-10 7:40 pm   Permalink

How ironic that thanks to some Eastern guru and his followers this original haven had survived for so many years, only to be taken down in a few by the economy and lack of interest of today's customer. I'm bummed I never got to see it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Const Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-10 9:40 pm   Permalink

I hate to throw stones without seeing it in person, but is there supposed to be an ironic blue collar theme to this place? After a long day repaving a parking lot, me and the guys kicked back for some ping pong and an artisanal/locally sourced/house-made/sustainable charcuterie plate.

View Profile of Const Tiki Send a personal message to Const Tiki  Email Const Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation