FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Stanley Black - Intimate Percussion/Exotic Percussion
Stanley Black - Intimate Percussion/Exotic Percussion
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 03:30 am   Permalink

Not sure if this one has been posted about before. CD contains two early 60s albums by British composer and conductor Stanley Black. Especially the "Exotic Percussion" album (tracks 1-12) has some really great exotica up there with the best. Short sound samples can be heard here:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&WRK=8425031

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-04 10:53 am   Permalink

Thanks a ton....sounded great, so I ordered a copy.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-28 9:05 pm   Permalink

Great CD, well the exotic percussion part anyway. Some of his other stuff looks interesting. Anyone have any experience with his other stuff?

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 3:56 pm   Permalink

I bought the Exotic Percussion lp on eBay not too long ago and although it's a mono recording, it still sounds fantastic (London Phase 4). A little like Les Baxter, but still quite distinctive. I have heard excerpts of some of his other recordings and they seem like conventional lounge muzak; nothing really exceptional. Exotic Percussion is definitely the oddball recording of his repertoire.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-03 9:46 pm   Permalink

I got a copy too and am enjoying it..thanks for the reference.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-08 11:20 am   Permalink

For those who prefer original vinyl, there are some nice inexpensive copies of "Exotic Percussion" on eBay right now. I just bought a VG++ copy for $5.99.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation