FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Who was Frank Schirman?
Who was Frank Schirman?
Aguillard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-06 12:38 pm   Permalink

I have been collecting his carved Black Coral pieces for several years now, but can't find out anyhting about the man, and the history of his work. Can anyone help out?

Thanks in advance.

View Profile of Aguillard Send a personal message to Aguillard  Email Aguillard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-06 9:09 pm   Permalink

I love to google...so here is what I found for you.

About 2/3 down on the webpage is a book about the artist. It is #17286. You can click on the book to see an example of the inside. These are recently sold items but the page has tons of interesting items on it.
http://www.hawaiiana-shop.com/hawaiiana_store/solditems1.html

I don't know anything about the dealer of that book, so can't vouch for service, but you could always contact them off the home page here.
http://hawaiiana-shop.com/index.html

I noticed lots of sculptures on eBay....have fun shopping.

VampTiki

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-03-06 21:11 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 12:23 am   Permalink

What are those sculptures made of? They can't actually be black coral - they're far too large and inexpensive. I always assumed they were upscale Coco Joe's - sort of the Lexus to Coco Joe's Toyota.

I've never seen one in person - they certainly look terrific in photos.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 11:32 am   Permalink

I have a few frank schirman sculptures, and I don't think they're pure resin. They're much heavier than any Coco Joes I have.
They may, however, be resin that has been infused with black coral dust, which might give them more weight? I know the older Coco Joes did something similar with their 'lava' and olive coloured items, giving them more a ceramic composition.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aguillard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-16 6:02 pm   Permalink

I found this on a Frank Schirman brochure recently.

"By combining black coral, from Hawaii's ocean floors, with other fillers, binders, and pigments, it is possible to artistically recreate these beautiful designs by Frank Schirman."

View Profile of Aguillard Send a personal message to Aguillard  Email Aguillard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation