[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic's Rums
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Trader Vic's Rums
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 12:01 pm   Permalink

I noticed you guys mentioned Hi Times liquor store. That is definately the best liquor store around in my area. Sten can testify that they carry absolutely everything. I have never tried the TV rum but my favorite as of now is the Sailor Jerry spiced rum. If you are 'not in the know', Sailor Jerry is a world famous tatoo artist in Hawaii that specializes in classic tattoos. Check out www.sailorjerry.com. If anything, you should buy the rum just for the sake of having the cool artwork on the bottle.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-01-15 12:05 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Luckydesigns wrote:
I noticed you guys mentioned Hi Times liquor store. That is definately the best liquor store around in my area...my favorite as of now is the Sailor Jerry spiced rum...If anything, you should buy the rum just for the sake of having the cool artwork on the bottle.

Yes, Hi Times is my fav too. They are suppose to be one of the stores obtaining Trader Vic's Rums.
Sailor Jerry's is actually pretty good in my opinion. It mixes well with coke (how I usually start my initial taste test). I too love the bottle:

SugarCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-19 6:46 pm   Permalink

How ironic I should stumble across this post right after whipping up some Trader Vic's Mai Tais. I was breaking in some new bar stuff I got for Christmas and decided to check out the TV recipe on the mixer bottle for a change & asked myself the same question: "Where do I get Trader Vics rum (light or dark) I've been using my old standbys - Bacardi & Meyers . Called my local liquor "superstore" - Beverages & More here in San Diego and they don't carry it and wasn't aware there was such a product.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-17 4:59 pm   Permalink

Well, it's been 1 month since I've spoke to Echo Wine, who was kind enough to call me to let me know that I (we) have not been forgotten in reference to locating Trader Vic's Rum. He said that the process is slow-going, but is moving forward to have TV Rum in the Orange and Los Angeles Counties. He said he'll call back when an order is actually ready to leave his distribution center. The TV Rum's themselves have not reached his location....yet.

Just to let you know.

SugarCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacific Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-19 3:14 pm   Permalink

I think the Palo Alto TV is the last one owned by the family all others are franchises. Not too many left in the U.S. but a lot of them in the middle east and europe. A friend and I wanted to franchise a few of them but the price was outrageous just for the licensing rights. Thats why we may open the PA's or Pacific Andys, its much cheaper.

View Profile of Pacific Andy Send a personal message to Pacific Andy  Email Pacific Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-19 4:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-19 15:14, Pacific Andy wrote:
I think the Palo Alto TV is the last one owned by the family all others are franchises.

Really? I was always told that the family owns the Emeryville outpost and the rest are franchises.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-19 7:32 pm   Permalink

Cynful,
You're correct. The Palo Alto TV's is owned by a friend of the Bergeron family. Apparantly, the owner was a collector of oceanic art and relentlessly pressed the TV chain to allow him to open a restaurant so he could display his collection. After years of pressure, the TV chain finally gave in and ok'd the opening of the Palo Alto restaurant. Although a Trader Vic's, from what I understand, Palo Alto is sort of the 'bastard child' hence, its variation from the rest of the restaurants in the TV chain.

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-19 19:48 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-19 7:56 pm   Permalink

TVPA may be a bastard but they still make a mean Mai Tai! Wish they were there when I was I was in school.

Back to the rum...

Went to Hi-Time this past weekend and still no Trader Vic Rum!

Damn! I gotta get me some of that rum!

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-19 8:48 pm   Permalink

Arty~
Supposidely at this point no one will have the TV Rum (even Hi-Time, and I was there today), until Echo Wine gets their initial supply for distribution. Echo Wine has been pretty good about keeping me informed on the upcoming delivery, so whatever is out it some remote stores now is from older delivers by the old distributor. U.S. Distilling Company and Echo Wine now just have to "get it together" and get the TV Rum out to the marketplace.
SugarCaddyDaddy

stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-20 10:08 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info, Sugar!

I haven't been following this thread very closely and now I know I'm just going to have to settle for Myers right now.

Mmmmmmm. Myerrrrsss...

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacific Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-20 3:01 pm   Permalink

sorry my mistake, I knew one of the two where still owned by the family. Either way they want too much for the franchise in other areas.

View Profile of Pacific Andy Send a personal message to Pacific Andy  Email Pacific Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-02-22 09:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-20 15:01, Pacific Andy wrote:
sorry my mistake, I knew one of the two where still owned by the family. Either way they want too much for the franchise in other areas.

Check out this thread for more info:

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1563&forum=1&start=30

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacific Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-24 09:06 am   Permalink

THanks for the update.

SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-06 6:17 pm   Permalink

Finally an update!

I got a call from the distributor, whom I thought by now forgot about me since this post began in January, and he tells me that Hi-Times Liquor has the Trader Vic's Mai Tai Rum and The Dark Rum in stock. Wow! I was totally surprised! I take the 15 minute drive and there it is, only 1 case of each (for now) until they see how well it sells, according to Keith the buyer at Hi-Times.

The Trader Vic's Royal Amber is $6.99+tax.
The Trader Vic's Dark Rum is $10.99+tax.

Ok, I shouldn't let the price interfere with my perception of how well they taste, but I'll soon find out later tonight as to how they taste.

Only 1 case of each (less 1 bottle of each now), available.

Hi-Time Cellars / Hi-Times Liquor
250 Ogle Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
949-650-8463

SugarCaddyDaddy's Schedule of Stuff!

[ This Message was edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2003-06-06 18:23 ]

Freehouse

Posted: 2003-06-06 8:26 pm   Permalink

I was at Trader Joe's in Campbell yesterday and they had the dark rum for $8.99.

View Profile of Freehouse Send a personal message to Freehouse      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation