FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Most irritating Exotica album and song
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Most irritating Exotica album and song
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-10 7:15 pm   Permalink

Should this post be threaded, I forsee some heated differences of opinions. But so what? How else can we avoid certain albums and songs, at the same time become educated by them? And who knows, some folks may be turned onto something that they actually think is quite lovely. Anyway, this will be a good thing, and a fun thing.

'What, in your opinion, is the most irritating Exotica album and song that you've heard?', says I.

'Let me do the honour of starting', says I in return.

Most Irritating Exotica album:

Michel Magne 'Tropical Fantasy'.
Granted, there is one -- possibly even two -- acceptable and quite, dare I say, nice tracks. But overall this album ranks very high in the audio irritation department. And those high pitched bird whistles, screeches, bells, xylophones, cartoon-quality tympanis, unharmonic and possibly even drunk females yelling. EEEECH!!! My ears! My island for a pair of ear plugs!

Most Irritating Exotica song: 'Tsetse Fly' by Martin Denny. (I don't want to overkill the Michel Magne, so I chose to expand the artist repertoire.) Actually, Mr. Denny has QUITE A FEW in this category -- even worse than this one; and although I know there are worse songs by other Exotica artists (especially those who merely jumped on the trend by putting out an album), I feel it necessary to point out that the Father Of Exotica did have it in him to do wrong.....and he did. Ouch!

How about you?

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-03-10 19:21 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 05:31 am   Permalink

Interesting topic DJ.

I grew up listening to Jean Jaques Perrey since I was 5 years old so I have an affection for fun, whimsical, sound effects that is displayed throughout the Tropical Fantasy album. I can see how it could be irratating to some people though. It really is crazy and the sound effects are extreme but that's what sets him apart from the rest.

I agree that the fly in Tsetse Fly is annoying but that because it was made to sound annoying. It would have been great if they ended that track with the sound of a fly swatter hitting that damn fly. That would have topped it off.

As far as any irritating Exotica records I cannot think of too many albums that would make me run to the stereo yelling nooooooo! I agree that some of the band-wagon jumper albums are bad. Not irritating just BAD.

I wrote an article on Electronic Exotica which will be in the next issue of Tiki Magazine. Some people may think this form of Exotica to be irritating as well while others may enjoy the tranquil effects of lush tropical soundscapes.

It all comes down to personal preference when traveling down this road.

The BEST kind of Exotica has the ability to transport the listener and change his environment no matter what kind of instrumentation they use.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 06:25 am   Permalink

I agree 100% on "Tse-Tse fly"..can't stand that buzzing! There is another one on the same album I have, forgot the name, but it has decending chords, and then a woman's high pitched scream. I don't find it to be very relaxing. It scares me too much!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 07:03 am   Permalink

Martin Denny's "Stone God" has such a cool name, but is incredibly annoying.

Anything that is supposed to be Exotica but has a lot of Latin drums pounding away in the background. I mean, it's either Latin drums or it's Exotica, not both.

Les Baxter's songs with Bas Sheva, that's probably the one you're talking about Lucas, take your pick they're crazoid and make everybody really uncomfortable. Les was a mad genius to do them, though.

To bring things up to date, how about Don Tiki's bad ones? Some of their stuff is great, but does anybody actually like "Da T'ing He Grow" or their other over-sampled junk? I mean, what the... were they thinking?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-11 07:27 am   Permalink

My vote goes to Arthur Lyman, and the song '76 Trombones' from the LP/CD 'The Legend of Pele' Overall a wonderful LP, which creates a truly exotic mood - but then why ruin that mood by including a song from 'The Music Man' -- which is set in River City, Iowa. One moment you are dreaming of hula girls and Pacific Islands, the next you are thinking about marching bands, red coat uniforms, and 1910 era con-men.

Sure, the arrangement of the song is perhaps the most exotic version you will hear, but the rhythm still sounds like high school band marching music, especially with the snare drum rolls. Even the title alone is bad -- how can one think about exotica with visions of 76 trombones in one's mind.

Talk about a mood killer. I will not play this LP or the CD when I have visitors, just because the last song changes the atmosphere so much.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 07:48 am   Permalink

Jeff Central: I grew up listening to Jean Jaques Perrey since I was 5 years old so I have an affection for fun, whimsical, sound effects that is displayed throughout the Tropical Fantasy album. I can see how it could be irratating to some people though. It really is crazy and the sound effects are extreme but that's what sets him apart from the rest.

DJ Terence Gunn: The music, the arrangements, and the sound effects certainly are childlike, so I can definitely see how you'd find affection in that, if you'd been raised on such music. Nearly everybody loves their childhood, so it's difficult to be subjective of musical taste/quality based on nostalgia.

Jeff Central: It would have been great if they ended that track ['Tsetse Fly'] with the sound of a fly swatter hitting that damn fly. That would have topped it off.

DJ Terence Gunn: I would love to have heard such a thing! I wouldn't like the song any more than I would without such an ending (it's not just the buzzing of the fly I dislike -- its the music, too; and musically there are more irritating Denny songs), but I would feel justified in having had to listen to it all the way through. I wonder if 'Tsetse Fly' ever appeared on Dr. Demento.

Jeff Central: As far as any irritating Exotica records I cannot think of too many albums that would make me run to the stereo yelling nooooooo! I agree that some of the band-wagon jumper albums are bad. Not irritating just BAD.

DJ Terence Gunn: Neither can I -- hence this topic. But does 'I cannot think of too many' mean 'none'? As far as the meaning of bad (and I'm not talking James Brown here), bad to me IS irritating, so you've lost me there.

Jeff Central: I wrote an article on Electronic Exotica which will be in the next issue of Tiki Magazine. Some people may think this form of Exotica to be irritating as well while others may enjoy the tranquil effects of lush tropical soundscapes.

DJ Terence Gunn: Although I do like some songs within the genre, I don't like electronica AS a genre, so I will be one who finds such Exotica irritating. The song 'Exotic Moog' I think is brilliant (minus the Donald Duck effects), but I don't care for the rest of the album. (This has more to do with the material Denny chose rather than the implementation of the moog. Basically, there's absolutely nothing exotic about this album. Weird, far out, groovy, spacey -- yes. Exotic? No.) Electronics interspersed for atmosphere and effect (as long as they're not presented in a silly, humour-provoking way) in some late 1960s/early 1970s Exotica recordings, I quite like. But does that make such songs 'early electronica'? or in other cases moog albums 'moog'? I never understood that. Many of the early moog artists used guitar, bass, drums, percussion, etc. on their 'moog recordings'. The moog was a lead instrumentation at times, as well as provided atmospherics, but it didn't dominate the music. Now Walter (Wendy) Carlos -- THAT's moog. Tomita -- THAT's electronic.

Jeff Central: The BEST kind of Exotica has the ability to transport the listener and change his environment no matter what kind of instrumentation they use.

DJ Terence Gunn: Yes and no. Exotica music must sound exotic (hence the name of the genre), not just goofy or weird. And there's nothing exotic sounding about electronics. Atmospheric and ethereal, yes. Exotic, no. Sure a synthesiser can immitate a natural sound, but it does not create a natural sound. As far as Electronic Exotica, I feel a more accurate term would be Synthetic Exotica or Progressive Exotica.

Anyway, I've a feeling you and I, Jeff, could debate, analise, and banter for hours, probably loving every minute of it; and I certainly look forward to your article in Tiki Magazine. But what I'd really like to see posted is what some TCers think is the most irritating Exotica album and song. ('Course, one of these may well turn out to be an electronic exotica album, so who knows?)

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-11 07:48, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:

Anyway, I've a feeling you and I, Jeff, could debate, analise, and banter for hours, probably loving every minute of it; and I certainly look forward to your article in Tiki Magazine. But what I'd really like to see posted is what some TCers think is the most irritating Exotica album and song.

I agree. Maybe if you get enough irritating Exotica songs together you could compile a CD that no one wants to listen to!

Call it "Exotic Irritainment"

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Vern I totally agree with the "76 Trombones" song. What were they thinking?

[ This Message was edited by: jeff central 2007-03-11 10:18 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 3:31 pm   Permalink

Ah, yes. Those are some good choices for irritants.

'Stone God' is pure record fodder. 'Goony Birds' ranks higher over 'Stone God' in the irritant factor, though. Haven't heard it? It's off of Denny's 'Forbidden Island'. Track it down, listen, be irritated; it'll be good fun.

Bas Sheva's 'Lust' is unnerving. Perhaps it is supposed to be, but does that make it good, exotic music? I applaud Mr. Baxter for his guts and creativity, but otherwise see no point to making such music. Bas Sheva and Yma Sumac -- all irritating. At the same time, I'm simply amazed how many Yma Sumac albums there were/are!

'76 Trombones' is, indeed, ikitnrev, ridiculous. I can't imagine Mr. Lyman got many requests during his live performances for this rendition!

Another winner is 'Rush Hour In Hong Kong', off of Denny's 'Exotica II' album. The song sounds like an alternate recording for the Mr. Roger's Neighbourhood trolley going into the land of Make-Believe.

It's funny and ironic, Jeff, but I was some time ago thinking of putting such a compilation of Exotica tunes together, just for kicks. I'm sure nobody would wish to buy such a thing, but my idea was to charge for the cost -- cost of the CD, postage, etc. However, I wouldn't need any suggestions for material, as I could easily make a nigh 80 minute CD without any. Nevertheless I'm still all eyes and ears! And should I put together such a compilation, I shall call it 'Exotic Irritainment' (an excellent suggestion for a title).

I'd certainly like to see some suggested irritants off some of the other Exotica albums other than Baxter's, Denny's, & Lyman's, though; as well as nominations for most irritating album. I have a good deal of Exotica in my collection, and though there are a few close runners-up, I have never come across a more irritating album than Magne's 'Tropical Paradise'. I'm sure there's one out there, though!

How about Dick Hyman's 'Voodoo' album? I've never heard that one.

professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 02:20 am   Permalink

OKONKULU.

You guys are dissin on all my favorite tracks!

I, for one (and it sounds like I maybe the only one) happen to love the shit out of Tsetse Fly and Stone God. Also, I really like Da T'ing He Grow & Pinakbet. You gotta be kama'aina to understand the humor in those two DT tunes, I think.

I was actually bummed that we didn't play either of those tunes at the Hawaiian Hut shows the summer before last. I was all ready to chant: FORTUNATO TOLD ME HOW! HE SAID YOU JUS' KAUKAU (DA BUGGAH!!!)

"Da T'ing" is like a faster, narrated, modern "When First I Love." For me what makes the track is the fast guiro going throughout. And the pidgin.

OKONKULUKU,
Prof. Humming Flowah of WAITIKI

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 02:21 am   Permalink

IN FACT ... I'd be more than happy to fill the next public WAITIKI show with all four of those tunes I just mentioned. And a couple of other so-called irritating ones. Hahahahaha.

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 07:42 am   Permalink

Lymans 'Cotton Fields' is pretty excruciating...as well as any WEST SIDE STORY medley or Dylan cover...most of the japanese related tunes can get pretty tricky and wreck a nice mellow mood.
The EXOTICA SUITE with its good (trad Exotica) and BAD (horn based near Dixieland CRAPOLA) is a good example of fairly non-essential stuff--coolest cover EVER though--REAL rattan!!!

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-12 07:42, bb moondog wrote:
The EXOTICA SUITE with its good (trad Exotica) and BAD (horn based near Dixieland CRAPOLA) is a good example of fairly non-essential stuff--coolest cover EVER though--REAL rattan!!!

Are you referring to Martin Denny & Si Zentner's album 'Exotica Suite'?

bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 10:51 am   Permalink

one & the same....I lucked out cuz I found a .25 copy before having to cough up 7 + shipping on ebay--its an OK lp but ESSENTIAL? not so much

another POTENTIALLY irritating song is 'Hawaiian eeYYYYY-UGH!!!' from the show of the same name...its funny at first but OUCH after repeated listenings

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 3:07 pm   Permalink

I love Exotica and all things Hawaiiana, but I cannot stand the song "Aloha Oe." Maybe it's a beautiful melody the first 95 times you hear it, but I have no patience for it any more. If you take a random sampling of 100 Exotica and Hawaiian records, you will find about 85 versions of Aloha Freakin' Oe. It also has the same melody as the hymn "How Great Thou Art," which annoys me to no end.

Another song that will always irritate me--"Stranger In Paradise." There might be more versions of that song than any other, done in just about any genre you can imagine--including and especially exotica. I think it was public domain (based on Borodin's Polovetsian Dances) so every second rate group on any third rate record label was bound to cover it at one time or another. I can't even begin to tell you how many records I have that include BOTH "Aloha Oe" and "Stranger in Paradise."

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-12 07:42, bb moondog wrote:

I gotta disagree with this assessment by the way, I love Exotica Suite, I think it's totally essential! I'm not usually a big fan of Si Zentner but the mix of big band and bongos on this record works great, IMHO. The entire thing composed by LES BAXTER by the way--kickass! "Tiki" is one of the best tracks ever put on wax.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation