FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Most irritating Exotica album and song
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Most irritating Exotica album and song
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 7:41 pm   Permalink

A little off the subject, but there was an album by Sonny Lester -- part of the 'After Hours' and 'How To Belly Dance/Strip For Your Husband' series -- that was called 'After Hours Spain'. It is currently available on CD and the sound quality is direct from the master tapes. The songs are the usual Spanish standards one has heard many times, but the arrangements are jazzy enough to make them 'loungey' and a little less traditional and interesting. However, where I take issue is the shameless (or otherwise ignorant) deliberation of mistitling the CD 'Exotica - The Sensuous Sounds Of The Sonny Lester Orchestra'.

Other than the implementation of the Latin rhythms, Spanish music is not Exotica. I knew what the album was before I purchased it; and only purchased it because it's one of those rarities that has appeared on CD, and which will disappear soon, because of lack of sales. But it is obvious the marketers of this reissue onto CD are/were trying to 'cash in' on the current popularity in Exotica music by labelling it as such. But the contemporary cover -- one that fits neither 'After Hours Spain' or 'Exotica - The Sensuous Sounds Of' -- substituting the original cover confuses me to no end. This is something that's been happening for some time on CD and vinyl. Talk about irritating.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-03-23 12:22 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 4:03 pm   Permalink

To veer briefly back on topic (with all due respect for it's poster). I also have "Tropical Fantasy", and yes, I would vote it the worst exotica LP ever. Its only redeeming quality is that a couple of cuts off of it make good Halloween music for the "Cannibal Corner" area of our annual haunted house. Eeek. (or, Ecccch.)

"Orienta" is another train-wreck, with the exception of two cuts by Gerald Fried, "Mountain High, Valley Low", which is a bit brassy with the Yma Sumac-style soprano riffs and "Rain in Rangoon" also a little bright on the rain effects, but just within tolerances to make good additions to the library.

(Oh, and JC, ever hear of "Quiet Farm"? I believe the title says it all...)

Great thread, DJ.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-03-24 13:05 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-23 16:03, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:

(Oh, and JC, ever hear of "Quiet Farm"? I believe the title says it all...)

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-03-24 13:05 ]

I have heard of it but never actually heard it!! Any good (bad)?

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 08:00 am   Permalink

I hope this isn't too much of a stretch, but any exotic song played by a New Orleans Jazz band at a tiki bar must be an irritating song.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 9:05 pm   Permalink

Quick reply, JC --

"Quiet Farm" is, quite simply, hysterically funny. Devious, low-key, well-produced, it adroitly goes from sly to full-tilt parody. Lookin' for it, 'cause I'd love to slip it into my otherwise authentic exotica mix for the next local luau here on the island (it's sure to get some slow-burn disorientation, followed by laughs -- that's what it did to me the first (and only) time I heard it).

If I ever find it I'll let the 'Ohana know via TC Music.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

(Uh, now who's veering..., sorry. BTW, anybody else know of any other Gerald Fried exotica out there?)

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-03-26 11:08 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 9:03 pm   Permalink

I'm afraid to ask, but I need to know. Is "Orienta" as bad an album as people here claim it is?

I admit, I was lured by the cover photo and the standalone track "Rain In Rangoon" I heard on The Quiet Village podcast. Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I searched for, and found, an "Orienta" CD reissue that happens to also include Michel Magne's "Tropical Fantasy." Lucky me!

A quick perusal of the latter via an LP share blog was all I needed to realize I should avoid it like the plague. (My apologies to the few genuine fans of "Tropical Fantasy") However, I keep listening to the :30 second track clips of "Orienta" and, while it is, indeed, lacking heart in comparison to the best compositions by Martin Denny, Les Baxter, and Arthur Lyman, it certainly is far removed from the audio assault that is Magne's "Tropical Fantasy." In other words, could "Orienta" truly be that horrid? Especially when compared to "Tropical Fantasy"? "Rain In Rangoon" is a pleasant enough track, but surely it can't be the best on the album. Or could it?

I fear I've made a financial blunder tracking down an Exotica LP on CD that may not be worth owning.

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-24 21:03, DejaVoodoo wrote:

I fear I've made a financial blunder tracking down an Exotica LP on CD that may not be worth owning.

Well I'm completely in the minority on this one, but I LOVE both these LPs and I think a double CD of the two is worth having (provided you didn't mortgage the farm to get it). I have both on vinyl and treasure them both. I also love Johnny Richards' "The Rites of Diablo" and Les Baxter's "Passions" -both of which are in that Exotica-as-horror category.

I, Z

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 2:33 pm   Permalink

I can't stand Eden Ahbez's "Mongoose" song. Probably because I want to believe "Eden's Island" is in Polynesia. Yes there are mongooses (mongeese?) in parts of Hawaii but there are no snakes for them to chase away (like the song says). Also I always get the image of him lighting up a joint with a Rastafarian afterward. That's not very Tiki.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 7:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-25 14:12, I, Zombie wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-24 21:03, DejaVoodoo wrote:

Well I'm completely in the minority on this one, but I LOVE both these LPs and I think a double CD of the two is worth having (provided you didn't mortgage the farm to get it). I have both on vinyl and treasure them both. I also love Johnny Richards' "The Rites of Diablo" and Les Baxter's "Passions" -both of which are in that Exotica-as-horror category.

I, Z

Well, at least someone had something nice to say regarding "Orienta." I think I'll be joining that minority as the :30 second track clips of "Orienta" sound quite appealing to me. Yes, they're a little jokey with the appropriate, but often obtrusive, sound effects on certain tracks - "Rain In Rangoon" sounds like quite a heavy downpour! BUT, practically sight unseen, (or album unheard) I get that "Orienta" is meant as a stylized take on the Exotica genre, much like Disney's "The Haunted Mansion" was a not-so-scary twist on the traditionally terrifying haunted house, and the "Enchanted Tiki Room," when you really get down to brass tacks, really isn't 100% authentic, historically speaking. As much love and respect as I have for the "Enchanted Tiki Room," you have to admit that the only thing Tiki about the title song alone is the word Tiki!

I don't think I'll be coming around much to Michel Magne's "Tropical Fantasy" based on what I have heard. But it's the second LP on the twofer CD so I'm sure I'll listen to it occasionally.

No farms were mortgaged to afford this CD. It was just on the higher end of most commercially available CDs, say at Barnes "we-almost-always-charge-msrp-and-then-some" & Noble. It should be arriving in a couple of days. Thanks to the favorable reply to my original post, I can now say I'm excited!

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 7:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I also love Johnny Richards' "The Rites of Diablo" and Les Baxter's "Passions" -both of which are in that Exotica-as-horror category.

I, Z

Speaking of Les Baxter's "Passions"...

That album has some truly beautiful moments. However, as a whole I find it frightening! I respect the artistic frame of mind from which it was created, but seriously...

Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 06:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-25 19:46, DejaVoodoo wrote:
Quote:

I also love Johnny Richards' "The Rites of Diablo" and Les Baxter's "Passions" -both of which are in that Exotica-as-horror category.

I, Z

Speaking of Les Baxter's "Passions"...

That album has some truly beautiful moments. However, as a whole I find it frightening! I respect the artistic frame of mind from which it was created, but seriously...

When I was a kid and was annoying my mom a bit too much, she would actually put this album on and play the "Terror" cut. Freaked me out every time! The innocent humming at the beginning, then the footsteps, then that unholy scream at the end. Holy crap that stuff scared me!

I'm not sure Les Baxter had ever been used before as a disciplinary device.

My mom didn't play.

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 09:54 am   Permalink

The moment I saw the title of this thread two words crossed my mind: "Tse-Tse Fly".

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

When I was a kid and was annoying my mom a bit too much, she would actually put this album on and play the "Terror" cut.

"You either start behaving right now or I'll put the Les Baxter on!"

Wow - never imagined that, but with The Passions I can totally see why it might work!

I, Z

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 2:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-10 19:15, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
Most Irritating Exotica song: 'Tsetse Fly' by Martin Denny. :21 ]

If any of you were wondering how "Tsetse fly" was recorded, check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMBHYh_yoQk

Perhaps annoying in one's stereo, but simply virtuosic when watching it live.

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
horsdumonde
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-20 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-10 19:15, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
Most Irritating Exotica song: 'Tsetse Fly' by Martin Denny...

That song came to mind the second I saw this thread. On the Afro-Desia CD by Rev-Ola, it's on there twice, in mono and stereo.

View Profile of horsdumonde Send a personal message to horsdumonde      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation