FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Pool Hall in Lawndale, CA!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Pool Hall in Lawndale, CA!
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2003-01-13 9:33 pm   Permalink

This Saturday, Doctor Z and I were garage-saling in the city of Hawthorne. The Doctor had just picked up a nice tall rattan shelving unit for his ever-expanding collection of mugs. (He would later find a couple of ceramic coconut mugs as well). We were heading back to Torrance along Hawthorne Blvd, when suddenly my Tiki-sense went into overload and I practically killed us swerving into a left-hand lane to make a U-turn and get us back to this building we had just passed:

The Hurricane Bar & Grill has been around forever, (check-out the old metal sign on the top of the building), and I've driven by it many times, but it looks like it's just undergone a major Tiki-renovation!

The air-brush artist who did this is extremely talented, but we could not find his signature anywhere on the building. The joint was closed on a Saturday morning, but peering through the windows, we could see pool tables, a great bamboo bar, matting on the walls, tiki masks, glass floats and fish hanging from the cieling, and some beautiful painted hula-girl murals in the skylight and elsewhere. Really top-notch decor. Here are some photos I snapped through the windows:

I'll have to take more photos inside when they're actually open.

Doctor Z and I have decided that a Tiki Pool Night is definitely in order. We saw all the talented Tiki Central bowlers in action at the Kona Lanes, now we need to gather the pool sharks for an evening at The Hurricane, methinks. I myself and am a rank amateur with the cue, but I'd love to play and embarass myself nonetheless.

Can anyone else be tempted to brave the Sports-Bar atmosphere? I'd love to see a bunch of Tiki-Centralites in Hawaiian attire take over this place for a night.

The address is 14620 Hawthorne Blvd, about a mile North of the San Diego Freeway (405) on the Right-hand side.

Like I said, I'll try to catch it when it's open and get more details, including what they serve at the bar.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-13 9:45 pm   Permalink

What a lovely reversal of the "it has tikis, let's tear it down!" mentality! Wish we saw that more often...

Point is, if you get ENOUGH Tiki Centralites in there at one time, the sports bar atmosphere can be easily neutralized. Hah.

Bravo to you and your urban archaeology, Sabu.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-13 10:13 pm   Permalink

Maybe they have karaoke?

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-13 11:26 pm   Permalink

Mostly beer there guys. I went there when the new owner had just taken over. He's a nice guy,from Africa I think. Anyways, They serve food(carribean fare) . He bought it from the previous owner who was the one that did the decorating. It is pretty cool inside.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-13 11:29 pm   Permalink

hold the singing!, lets drink and play pool like MANLY MEN with our females looking on in awe!. i am also a medium pool player , but i am sooo there.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 07:15 am   Permalink

Would love to see more pics of the place when you get them.

Very nice work. Has the artist painted on other buildings in the area?

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 8:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-13 23:26, thechikitiki wrote:
Mostly beer there guys. I went there when the new owner had just taken over. He's a nice guy,from Africa I think. Anyways, They serve food(carribean fare) . He bought it from the previous owner who was the one that did the decorating. It is pretty cool inside.

You mean it went "Tiki", and THAN it went under/changed owners? Worthy an investigation. I love playing pool, but have "unlearned" it....really!
(old trick from "The Hustler" with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason. I LOVE that movie.)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 10:18 pm   Permalink

A tiki pool night sounds like a great idea.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 10:46 pm   Permalink

Don't forget George C. Scott! That movie was very meaningful to my friends way back when. If there ever becomes a movement that combines tiki with pool, my conversion rate goes way up here in SE Portland. I am the tiki-renegade from a pool-cult up here.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 4:20 pm   Permalink

First bowling, now billards! I'm in! Just lemmie know when.

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs. Bamboo Ben
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-15 8:38 pm   Permalink

Sounds fun...we had a blast bowling.
We're in! Date? Time??

View Profile of Mrs. Bamboo Ben Send a personal message to Mrs. Bamboo Ben      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 3:05 pm   Permalink

Seeing that I will be in the area this Saturday, anybody wanna meet up for some pool here? I don't wanna brag but, just so you know, in my time I've been known to handle a stick and balls like no other...wait a sec, that didn't come out right.

Anyways, how about meeting up this Saturday (2/08) here?

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-03 15:05 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 3:20 pm   Permalink

Popster,

Would love to go but unfortunately the wife and I are booked on Saturday.

I'm free the following weekend if you don't get any takers for this week.

Agh! Check that last statement! Looks like I'm out the following weekend too! I'll be headin' out to Vegas for a preemptive strike on the Taboo Cove.

Vegas, baby! Vegas!

Arty

As Tiki as I wanna be.

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2003-02-03 17:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2003-02-03 17:45 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-04 8:44 pm   Permalink

Sabu, Z Girl and the good Doctor are up for the 8th, Pop - anyone else?? I can't play pool to save my life (and would hate to find myself in a situation where I'd have to...), so lets get some more folks to go so I'm not 'forced' to play... Twowheelin'? Floratina? Chiki? LuckyD? How 'bout it?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-04 8:57 pm   Permalink

I'm in, pool first, then the purple orchid?

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation