FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 7:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-05 01:33, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:

More expensive Curacao and Cointreau drinken straight are one thing, but as a component of a drink with several ingredients nobody will taste the least slightest difference or subtlety. ...

on 2007-3-05 Chip & Andy wrote:
I challenge you to a Orange Liquor Throwdown! Or something like that, I have been watching too much FoodTV lately.

OK Chip and Andy, lets have a Orange Liquor throwdown! I have quite a collection of orange liquors as I'm sure many of you do. Lets all use the same ingredients and make Mai Tais(what else). I asked the Bums opinion about curacao vs triple sec and here is what he had to say.

Aloha Ojaitimo,

Yes, triple sec, Cointreau, Curacao and Gran Marnier are all orange-based. That doesn't mean they're interchangable. Sausage, ham, bacon and pork ribs are all pig-based. Do they taste the same? The difference between Curacao, which is distilled from the dried peels of bitter oranges, and triple sec, which is a sweeter orange-flavored product, is pronounced. To take a non-Tiki example: there are hundreds of Margarita recipes, most calling for triple sec and some for Cointreau -- but I've never seen one that substitutes Curacao for triple sec. That should tell us something about subbing triple sec for Curacao in a Trader Vic Mai Tai. In the words of Grandmaster Flash: "Don't do it!" That is, if you want a true, classic Mai Tai. Everyone has different tastes -- so if you happen to prefer triple sec over Curacao, make your Mai Tai with triple sec. Drinking is all about making yourself happy!

Cheers, Bum

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-11 22:00 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 7:41 pm   Permalink

You're On!

But first.... do you want to do the component mixology bit first and analyze each orange liquor? Or go straight for the final cocktail?

And then.... Mai-Tais? Margaritas? Blue Hawaiians?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 7:51 pm   Permalink

And, may I suggest for those playing along at home......

We should analyze the drinks with the following three things in mind:

1 - Aroma
2 -Taste
3 - Price Point

The aroma and taste should be for both the individual liquor and the overall drink. And the price point should only be considered where one type of liquor is scarce (and therfore more expensive) regionaly. For example, in this neck of the woods Cointreau and Marie Brizard are easy to find but Senior Curacao and Bols are not.

Anyone else want to play along with us?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-11 19:41, Chip and Andy wrote:
You're On!

But first.... do you want to do the component mixology bit first and analyze each orange liquor? Or go straight for the final cocktail?

And then.... Mai-Tais? Margaritas? Blue Hawaiians?

Lets cover them all. "Component mixology" Sounds good, one drink at a time. We could also use smooth vodka so the orange liquor is more prominent than with rum in a vodka mai tai or make both?

Which orange liquor shall we start with?

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-11 21:48 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 01:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

For example, in this neck of the woods Cointreau and Marie Brizard are easy to find but Senior Curacao and Bols are not.

Liquor availability is a really odd thing. Bols is pretty easy to get here in Tucson, at at least one or two places, and costs about $10 a bottle. The Marie Brizard is impossible to find. There is one bottle of "Orange Liquor" MB here in town, but not a single bottle of Curacao. I did see it in Las Vegas when I was there, but I'm still holding out for a bottle of Seniors, which is completely unavailable in Arizona, from what I've been able to find.

As a comparison, you should probably try the Patron Citronage too. I was using that in my mai tai's until I bought a bottle of the Bols.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 06:00 am   Permalink

I'll see what I can add to this thread in the next couple days.

I've got: Patron Citronge, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Gran Gala, Marie Brizard Triple Sec, Allen's Triple Sec, and Leroux Curacao.

I am very curious about this. I've done some quick comparisons, but never really studied them. I'll have to see how each works in a Mai Tai.

PS: Which is better: DeKuyper's Curacao or Bols Curacao?

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-12 06:00, Scottes wrote:
I'll see what I can add to this thread in the next couple days.

I've got: Patron Citronge, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Gran Gala, Marie Brizard Triple Sec, Allen's Triple Sec, and Leroux Curacao.

Good idea, we should see who has what so we don't run out into left field with something no one else has.

I have Grand Marnier, Senior Curacao, Cointreau, Bols Curacao, MB Curacao, HW Triplesec and something else I will have to post on later.

Quote:

That is kind of the point of this challenge, isn't it?

This is going to be fun! An excuse to drink. Well, I drink anyway, but to be able to do it in the name of science! That makes it much more fun.

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2007-03-12 10:00, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

Sure, but within reason... The reason being that I'm not about to buy both of them.

I certainly don't mind comparing what I have, but I really don't want to buy 2 of the same mediocre stuff.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-12 10:08, Scottes wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 10:00, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

Sure, but within reason... The reason being that I'm not about to buy both of them.

I certainly don't mind comparing what I have, but I really don't want to buy 2 of the same mediocre stuff.

No worries. Contribute what you can for what you have. Hopefully someone else's opinion on a differing product will convince you for or against adding ingredients to your bar.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-12 10:08, Scottes wrote:

Aha! In the name of science, continue on, but I believe you will find HW and Bol's curacao to be, well... go ahead and compare it to MB.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 03:02 am   Permalink

If I could only find MB Curacao....

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 06:02 am   Permalink

I stumbled across a liquor store that had what seemed to be a bunch of rejects and/or leftovers. I grabbed a bottle of Marie Brizard Orangero. Has anyone ever heard of this? All I can find is:

MB GRAND ORANGERO
Cognac based orange liqueur. Andalusia is one the prestigious parts of Spain where they traditionally grow the sweetest and juiciest oranges. If you distill the blend of sweet and bitter fruit, the result will be nothing else but Orangero.
Alcohol Content: 38%

This same store had Doorly's XO for $17. This rum has been on my list for some time and it was quite a surprise to find it, especially at less than half the price I expected. I also grabbed a bottle of Barrow's Grand Reserve rum for $16. I'm very curious about this rum.

DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 12:09 pm   Permalink

Alas, Gentlemen, as much as I would like to dive into the challenge, my current lack of finances do not grant me the luxury of such a taste test. I've also already gone through this taste test in the past with others.

As I've stated in other posts on TC, I've tried different orange liqueurs in my mai tais and, while there is a subtle difference (not a world, as some would say) in their body and taste (including after-taste) when sipped straight, I've tasted no difference between them when mixed with the indredients of the mai tais I make. Because of this I stick to buying the less expensive orange liqueurs, and focus my money on the more important aspects of the drink -- the ones that make or break it.

Nevertheless, compare on! I shall follow the threads in interest.

Okole Maluna!

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-03-13 12:10 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 1:14 pm   Permalink

Count me in. I've got:
Senior's Curacao
Dekuyper Triple Sec
HW Curacao (I think, can't remember anymore)
Grand Marnier
Cointreau

If we're mixing Mai Tais, shouldn't we all use the same rums, so as not to skew the results?

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 2:18 pm   Permalink

The use of different rums will play into it. Already I can tell you that Appleton VX + Myers Dark + Leroux Curacao is very sweet - too sweet for me. But it might balance just fine with a dryer dark, or with a Orgeat that is less sweet that my homemade.

And speaking of Orgeat, all I have is my own homemade stuff, because all I can find is Fees and that rotgut went down the drain. And the limes I get in New England are probably very different than the selection you have in Cali. So we probably already have other differences anyway.

So I say to compare in your favorite recipe and describe what each does to that recipe. Maybe we will all end up agreeing with DJ.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation