FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-13 2:47 pm   Permalink

We talked a bit about this in another thread(but never got a answer) and I asked[quote: "I love Orange Liqueurs too but not particularly those mentioned above what about Grand Marnier? " [quote]
I always make My Kelly's killer Mai Tai's with Grand Marnier... so I'm not a realist, but it tastes great HiphiPaHuLA!
Whats your thoughts?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=20200&forum=10&start=135

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 7:36 pm   Permalink

Ok, so exactly what are we doing and when?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-13 11:20 pm   Permalink

ahhhh... A Valley-ite I was a Granada Hills Valley Girl myself, when I get my remodeling done we will have a bash! I'm all over it

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 06:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-13 14:18, Scottes wrote:
The use of different rums will play into it. Already I can tell you that Appleton VX + Myers Dark + Leroux Curacao is very sweet - too sweet for me. But it might balance just fine with a dryer dark, or with a Orgeat that is less sweet that my homemade.

And speaking of Orgeat, all I have is my own homemade stuff, because all I can find is Fees and that rotgut went down the drain. And the limes I get in New England are probably very different than the selection you have in Cali. So we probably already have other differences anyway.

Dilution of water or shaved ice is VERY important to the final result of a mai tai, and can also 'make' or 'break' it. Using Appleton and Myers and Triple Sec, fresh lime juice and orgeat syrup (and don't forget the mint!), I've made mai tais for those who hate sweet tropical drinks, and was applauded by them for my mai tai -- especially when they asked for a second. Ingredients are very important. But one must also know the process of proper measurement.

Scottes, Do they not sell Orgeat syrup in the aisles where coffee is sold in New England, like they do on the West Coast? I lived in the tiny village of Wells, Maine for six months, a few years ago, and I could've sworn the grocery store I shopped at did have a small variety of coffee/Italian soda syrups. But I could be wrong, as I didn't buy any Orgeat during the winter when I was there.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 06:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-14 06:13, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
Ingredients are very important. But one must also know the process of proper measurement.

Agreed, but if all the Mai Tais are made the same - except for the orange - then the comparison should be the same. If one can't consistently make a good Mai Tai then using this drink for a comparison of orange liqueurs will probably be less than ideal, perhaps even meaningless.

Quote:

On 2007-03-14 06:13, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
Scottes, Do they not sell Orgeat syrup in the aisles where coffee is sold in New England, like they do on the West Coast?

I have only found 1 almond syrup in such searches. It was not a name known to me even after all my searching about Mai Tai recipes. I was not impressed with the ingredient list - HFCS and "natural flavors" were included. It doesn't make sense to me to use a no-name almond syrup which has HFCS, especially when I can make a damned good Orgeat using organic cane sugar, high-quality organic almond extract, and Montreaux Orange Flower Water. I spent less time making a batch of Orgeat than searching for Orgeat or almond syrup.

Again this falls into consistently making a drink using quality ingredients. HFCS is not a quality ingredient. By making my own Orgeat - a very simple process - I get to adjust it to the way I like my Mai Tai. For instance my current batch has too much sugar, so that a Mai Tai with Appleton VX & Myers Dark is too sweet for me. It works very well with a Mai Tai made with a Appleton Extra and Clement VSOP - but this pairing makes my Mai Tais twice the price as yours. In the end, homemade Orgeat allow me another control point in the balance of the Mai Tai.

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2007-03-14 06:40 ]

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:25 am   Permalink

Not to derail the topic here, but homemade orgeat sounds very interesting. What recipe do you use Scottes?
As for store bought orgeat, I've found that the Torani brand (for italian sodas or coffee) is as good as the Trader Vics. Although, I must confess, I've never read the ingredient list. What is HFCS, anyway?

So, back on topic. Scottes makes a good point. I could use nothing but Barbados rum in my Mai Tai, but I could still make judgments about what each orange liqueur does to my particular recipe, and how the overall taste is affected. Even though I might be using a different recipe than someone else, I think I could still tell you that Triple Sec makes for a sweeter drink than Curacao. So in that sense, as long as a bastard Mai Tai is made consistently, then rum choice should have a smaller impact on the orange liqueur hoe-down throw-down.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 11:02 am   Permalink

HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup (aka "Yuch")

Homemade Orgeat:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21769&forum=10&hilite=orgeat
There are a few recipes and methods in there. I posted a long reply on page 2 concerning what I did.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-14 11:38 am   Permalink

Don't shoot me I'm only a mug collector. Can't find Orgeat 40 min. south of the San Fernando Valley either, it's just tough to find good stuff anyway & I'm not buying a mix so, I cheat there as well.. I use something like that homemade concoction above and add a bit of Disaronno...

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 3:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-13 19:36, hiltiki wrote:
Ok, so exactly what are we doing and when?

Well..... lets start with the basic components of the liquors in question. Then we can move up to the drink comparisons. Then we can move up to the Mine-is-better-than-yours discussions. Then we can move up to the drunken brawl. Then we can all go back to the bar and buy another round for everybody!

Wait, that souds like St. Patrick's Day weekend....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 4:03 pm   Permalink

A basic desription of each of the liquors in question....

Gran Marnier (pronounced like Grand without the D, Mon like the beginning of Monday, Yeah like yippee. Not a pefect pronuncuation, but close enough for our comparisons)

Gran Marnier is a brandy (congac) based liqueur bottled in France. It is steeped with 'Wild tropical Oranges' as well as a secret blend of herbs and spices. The most common bottling you can find is 40% ABV. There is a 'better version' at 48% or higher with a red-lable but I have never been able to find it. The bottle makes a nice visual addition to most any bar.

Curaçao (pronounced like Cure, short A, sow like saying ow that hurt with an s in front of it)

Curacao was originally produced from the Larahas (originally valencia) oranges that were transplanted to the namesake Island from Spain and Portugal. Now many producers of Curacao use additional flavorings, for instance Bols is distilled from "the peel of the finest curacao oranges, valencia oranges and lemons."

Curacao is typically 30% ABV and naturally clear(ish). It is most commonly found in blue, but with some effort you can find red, green, or orange Curacao. Within the same brand there should be no difference in the taste regardless of the color.

Cointreau (pronounced Kwan like in tai-kwan-do, trow like throw minus the H)

Contreau is very similar to Gran Marnier in its manufacture but is Brandy based. It has been around since 1849 and was born in France (thus the brandy base). It is 40% ABV and flavored with both sweet and bitter oranges, we can assume the use of the Larahas oranges common to the orange liquors. It has the added bonus of the signature square bottle that makes a nice addition visually to your bar.

Triple Sec (pronounced triple as in three, sec as in wait a sec)

This term by itself means triple-dry, as in not very sweet. In regards to the liquors it means triple-distilled, or triple brewed. It is both a type/brand of liquor as well as a general category term for all of the ingredients in this dicussion, but we will stick to Triple-Sec the ingredent. Most Triple-Secs are clear and average at 30% ABV, but I have seen brands as high as 45% ABV.

That covers the basics to our ingredient discussion. I know there are more ingredients out there, like Patronage, so I am hoping that someone else can add the missing information.

Now that we have the basics and are all calling the same things the same things..... Lets Drink!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 6:07 pm   Permalink

I have a cold, and I can't taste anything. I'm going to have to wait a few days.

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-15 6:37 pm   Permalink

So your advise Chip & Andy for the best replacements for the Orgeat & also the Orange Curacao??

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 4:44 pm   Permalink

Chip and Andy--
check out
www.hitimewine.net for the extra types of Grand Marnier. I've seen them there. There are actually three types--
The regular old basic stuff is about $30 for a fifth

The next step up is this:
GRAND MARNIER 100YR
Our Price: $115.99
A very unique blend of Grande & Petite Champagne Brandies with the zest of fresh tropical oranges.
Created in the 1927 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the company. Beautifulle sweet and smooth with hints of dark chocolate, cinnamon, tangerine, spices and curaco.

And here's the last:
GRAND MARNIER 150YR 750
Our Price: $169.99!!!!!!!

If anyone ever tries the stuff for $170, let me know how it is!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-17 5:33 pm   Permalink

Cointreau and Grand Marnier are really meant to be sipping liqueurs and shouldn't be compared to the quality of Triple Sec Vs. Curacao, which can be sipped, of course, but which are designed more for the cocktail. And Grand Marnier isn't quite like Cointreau, is it? It certainly isn't like Triple Sec. Cointreau is closer in flavour to Triple Sec than Grand Marnier.

I look at Triple Sec and Curacao as being the standard vermouth for the tropical libation -- one being twice the price (if not more) than the other, but bearing little difference (other than brand) in taste. These two liqueurs definitely SHOULD be compared. However, I certainly would never (even if the recipe called for it) put something as expensive as Cointreau or Grand Marnier in one of my tropical cocktails. But that's me.

Still, I should be interested in hearing any opinions of the difference in flavour in a cocktail made with Cointreau and the same drink made with Triple Sec.

But I still stand to my ground about Triple Sec Vs. Curacao: though some are a bit sweeter and some contain a bit more alcohol, in a cocktail with several different ingredients there is no difference of taste, just a difference in price and label.

Interestingly enough, I was at the liquor store last night and found that the Bols Blue Curacao was nigh $5 less than the Bols regular Curacao. Usually it is the other way round. Perhaps blue cocktails in Northern regions are not favourable this time of year, hence the low price.

Lastly, here's a question I put to all of you. How does one know for sure that these liqueurs are made the way they say they are made? Ingredients are not listed on the bottle, nor do I believe are required to be listed on the bottle. Where's the authenticity? The same could be said of licorice liqueurs (which, may I say, YUCKO!). Then there's all the Port and Sherry wines -- all proportedley the same, but of different said quality; and yet the more expensive Portugal imports can taste just the same as an inexpensive domestic.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 1:20 pm   Permalink

Here are two bottles from Hiram Walker, Curacao and Triple Sec that are close in price. This is probably available everywhere. How about if we use these with medium priced rums like Meyers , Appleton and key limes for our trials? We had some great original mai tai's at Trader Vic's on St. Patrick's day and I'm ready to mix.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-19 13:36 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation