FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 1:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-19 13:20, Ojaitimo wrote:
Here are two bottles from Hiram Walker, Curacao and Triple Sec that are close in price.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-19 13:22 ]

Thanks for the pics. The liquor stores in Seattle (at least the two I shop at in West Seattle) have very little variety for Curacao. In fact, I usually see only Bols (unless the other brand(s) sell out before my visits). During the warmer months more varieties may appear, but it is otherwise limiting.

I really like Hiram Walker's Triple Sec, and often buy it; but have yet to taste (or be given the opportunity to buy) HM's Curacao. Now, as far as the orange liqueur throw-down goes, I think comparing the flavour of these in a blind sipping taste test, then comparing them mixed in the same mai tai would be most revealing.

Other than Mp3 samples, another thing lacking on TC is VTT (Virtual Taste Testing).

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 1:55 pm   Permalink

I forgot to mention that when I bought the bottle of Triple Sec at Beverages and More I spotted this bottle of Grand Chevalier by Gaetano and was told it is like Grand Marnier for about $13 instead of $35. for 750ml. I don't feel right about using expensive liquors for mixing so I picked up a bottle to try in mai tais after several of you mentioned you used GM in your mai tais. Close to the real deal at a third the price and quite nice.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-19 14:03 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-19 13:55, Ojaitimo wrote:
I forgot to mention that when I bought the bottle of Triple Sec at Beverages and More I spotted this bottle of Grand Chevalier by Gaetano and was told it is like Grand Marnier for about $13 instead of $35. for 750ml. I don't feel right about using expensive liquors for mixing so I picked up a bottle to try in mai tais after several of you mentioned you used GM in your mai tais. Close to the real deal at a third the price and quite nice.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-19 14:03 ]

Very nice. Myself, I'd like to try that.

Basically when I provoked the whole orange liqueur throw-down, what I meant was that one needn't invest in expensive liqueurs, simply because the original recipe indicates so to do, when there are equally compatible good quality liqueurs at half the price. A great deal of wine drinkers could learn from this, as well.

Another issue is the 'All Natural Flavours'. Once again, who knows what the 'All Natural Flavours' are? Oranges, obviously. But what else? And from where? Though some labels give a run down of the traditional processing of the liqueur, there remains no ingredients list.

Have any of you TC'ers noticed the trend of '100% juice' posted on certain fruit juices -- frozen, cold, or room temperature? Yet when one examines the ingredients of these containers, one will often find apple and/or grape juice listed as a component -- even though the juice is marketed as Grapefruit Juice, Pineapple juice, or Pineapple Orange Juice, etc. I mention this as I don't think anybody is qualified (unless one works at one of the locations that make such liqueurs) to make a statement of what types of ingredients -- orange peels from a certain region, a certain type of oranges, etc -- are actually used to produce such liqueurs. Except when it comes to taste and price, we're all equally ignorant of such knowledge.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-03-19 14:27 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 3:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-19 14:26, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:

Another issue is the 'All Natural Flavours'. ... there remains no ingredients list.

... I mention this as I don't think anybody is qualified (unless one works at one of the locations that make such liqueurs) to make a statement of what types of ingredients -- orange peels from a certain region, a certain type of oranges, etc -- are actually used to produce such liqueurs. Except when it comes to taste and price, we're all equally ignorant of such knowledge.

Exactly!

And that is one of the reasons I love TC. I have a few things on my bar that I like. I find out that several other people in here like the same (or similar things) and I am reasonably sure when they recommend something that I will like it. The reverese is true as well, if I hate something someone else is going on about how great it is I will listen to thier advice with much skepticism.

And that is precisely what makes challenges like this one so much fun. The major players may agree and disagree about certain parts/brands/styles/recipes, but those following along at home can learn much at the same time by both our agreements and our disagreements.

Ojaitimo, tell us about the Grand you found. I know it is outside the 'norm,' but being orange-based what better place to chat it up.

Now..... if we can just get Hanford to put that VTT mod in place this would be much more entertaining....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 3:35 pm   Permalink

And, more directly to the challenge......

May I suggest that we start with a very simple cocktail like a classic Margarita?

1 Part Lime, 2 Parts Orange Liqur, 3 parts Tequila.

Basic cocktial and the simplicity of it brings out the best (and worst) of the flavors in question. I have found that a silver (anejo) tequila showcases the orange a bit better. For those playing along make a cocktail with each of your orange variants and report your findings. For those of you with only one orange option on your bar you will just have to make two or three with what you have to keep up.

We can then move up to more complicated/complex cocktails....

I say Game-On unless someone has a better idea.....

To the Bar! I mean Lab! Yeah! To the LAB!

Igor, more limes

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 4:01 pm   Permalink

About the Grand Chevalier. It is produced and bottled by Gaetano Specialties, LTD, Princeton, MN

Grand Chevalier Liquer 750ml made with natural orange flavor and fine brandy. 80 proof
$13. at Beverages and More

Just tried some straight, I'm not much of a brandy drinker but it tastes alot like Grand Marnier only thinner and less rich if thats the right way to describe it. But it is still very good and I like it. I have used Grand Marnier in mai tai's like some of you a few times but cringed at wasting it in a mixed drink. Grand Chevalier tastes the same in a drink for a third the price but it lacks the peel taste so I will stick with curacao.

DJ, sorry to hear you have such a problem in Washington State. It's easy to take things for granted living here and I can't imagine what it is like to get hard to find items. If I makes it to the Shrunken Head Lounge soon I'll bring some items that we have here in California. Just don't ask for Pimento Liquer, Ok?

Life is a state of mind

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-26 20:13 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 7:02 pm   Permalink

Why wasn't homework ever this fun when I was in school? Probably because harvey Wallbangers were cool?

DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 7:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-19 16:01, Ojaitimo wrote:
DJ, sorry to hear you have such a problem in Washington State. It's easy to take things for granted living here and I can't imagine what it is like to get hard to find items. If I makes it to the Shrunken Head Lounge soon I'll bring some items that we have here in California. Just don't ask for Pimento Liquer, Ok?

One thing we're certainly not lacking here in Seattle is coffee/Italian soda syrups. They're everywhere! That's something I certainly would take for granted when I would go elsewhere.

When it comes to what specific liquor stores will carry what, I'm not sure if it is all of Washington, or if it is regional by city. I've seen in the past in local liquor stores larger selections of orange liqueurs, so I'm not sure if the supply is based on popularity of sale or trend or what have you. Nevertheless, I'm not too broken up about it. I'm quite happy with my Hiram Walker Triple Sec and Bols Curacao.

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 04:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-19 19:02, Ojaitimo wrote:
Why wasn't homework ever this fun when I was in school? Probably because harvey Wallbangers were cool?

Dont be dis'en the Wallbangers! They are a lot more fun to order in a crowded bar than a Slow-Comfortable-Screw-On-The-Beach.

Besides, we can't call this homework. If it was homework some people(the dumb ones) would pay other people(the nerdy smart ones) to copy thier answers while riding the bus to school. And we all know what happens to cheaters..........

Research. We have to call it Research because it sounds like more fun and if done very carefully we can write it off on our taxes. Or maybe someday we can start the Donn Beach Institute for Mixology and give research grants to up-and-coming bartenders........

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 09:55 am   Permalink

Andy just reminded me that some people may have, umm.... Lets call it an 'alergic' reaction to tequilia. For those of you who fall into this category, you can make the same ratio cocktial using Vodka. Your orange and lime flavors will come up quite a bit, but that may make comparisions a bit easier.

DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 12:08 pm   Permalink

I was yesterday in the smaller of the two liquor stores I shop in, and once again noticed only Bols Curacao. However, the Triple Sec brands available consisted of Bols, Hiram Walker, Monarch, Potters, and DeKuyper. I scratch my head in confusion as to the necessity for so many -- especially as Monarch and Potters are the basement of bottom shelf liquors and liqueurs.

Why DeKuyper Curacao is not featured in the liquor stores I shop in is beyond me. ('Course, there are many others round here, and perhaps their selection may be broader.) Comparing DeKuyper -- the original Curacao used in Victor's mai tai -- to Hiram Walker triple sec (much less in price) seems the most feasible of taste tests for cocktail-based orange liqueurs, in both sipping and mixed into a tropical drink.

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 1:21 pm   Permalink

I am ashamed to say, I have no Tequila. Wait! That's not true. I think there's some hiding in my liquor cabinet. Well, one of them anyway.
Margaritas!
Wait! I am out of limes! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 2:19 pm   Permalink

If I can ever get rid of this cold, I will be tasting each orange liqueur individually and comment on each. Then I will make two version of the same cocktail - one with the best orange liqueur, and one with the worst. If I can not notice a difference I will comment and quit the test. Otherwise I will proceed comparing in some ordered fashion (like 2 curacaos one night, and 2 triple secs the next night - or maybe the best curacao vs the best triple sec).

As to the cocktail, I'm not sure yet. I also don't think the Mai Tai is a good cocktail to use for a comparison, but I will certainly try 2 Mai Tais at some point. But the margarita is a great idea, and a good reason for me to pick up a bottle of Sauza Hornitos.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 8:38 pm   Permalink

Ok, I am feeling better after being sick for what seems an eternity.
I will first make a margarita with the exact recipe from Chip and Andy.
I am using Don Julio Blanco ( it is the only silver bottle I have open for now). And I am using Grand Marnier Liquor and fresh lime juice. Mmmm, tastes wonderful. I will get back to you in a few min. and try a cheap ass version and see the difference.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 8:51 pm   Permalink

Ok, I am feeling pretty good now. My second one consists of Don Julio Blanco, Hiram Walker Orange Curacao, fresh lime. Smells good, however it is not as sweet as the last one. And it is not as flavorful. I has a completely different taste and flavor. A little flat, if that makes any sense. I don't like it as much. Well maybe I will make a third one, hang on you guys. I am sure I will be pretty drunk by then. I will be back soon.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation