FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 7:42 pm   Permalink

Reviving an old thread here, but I just tried Clément Créole Shrubb. I was expecting rum, but it's closer to an orange liqueur like Senior Curacao. It's not a rum, but it is a very good - though extremely sweet - orange liqueur.

If you're interested, my review is here:
http://scottesrum.com/2007/06/07/clement-creole-shrubb/

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 8:30 pm   Permalink

Well, sorry to be gone from this discussion so long. I just went back through the conversation and realized that Scottes summed it up best on page 4. His descriptions of each of the liquors I found to be spot-on, at least on the ones that I too have tasted.

I still think the Bols Curacao tastes like orange flavored Gasoline, but that is just my taste.

I will have to think for a bit on a cocktail suggestion to further this quest, anybody else got a suggestion?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 12:29 pm   Permalink

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any Tiki drink where the Orange Curacao was predominant enough to noticeably change the taste. The Mai Tai is so finicky that it comes out, but I wasn't able to decisively pick one.

Is it allowed if we change this to a non-Tiki drink, like a Sidecar? Yum....

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-26 12:29, Scottes wrote:
I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any Tiki drink where the Orange Curacao was predominant enough to noticeably change the taste. The Mai Tai is so finicky that it comes out, but I wasn't able to decisively pick one.

Is it allowed if we change this to a non-Tiki drink, like a Sidecar? Yum....

Certainly! In the name of cocktails and mixology we should use any recipe that showcases the ingredient under discussion.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 12:54 pm   Permalink

Yum... Sidecars with various Orange Curacaos... I'm drooling here...

So, Cointreau is the normal choice, and with this high-quality one used as a starting point I would immediately drop the cheaper choices (Leroux, Arrow). But would the "cognac-based" ones be too much? That is, Cognac + Orange + cognac? Or would that heighten the cognac used in the drink?? You'd probably need to choose correctly.

So I'd break this down into 2 choices - the better-quality Orange Curacaos for one test, and for the other test I'd use the cognac-based orange liqueurs. The latter would be very picky to correctly match the orange liqueur to the base cognac, I would think.

Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-12 4:49 pm   Permalink

Speaking of Senior Curacao, does anyone know where I can get it in Baltimore? My last two "minis" from the Island are all but gone.

Thanks

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 1:11 pm   Permalink

I made a Mai Tai with Grand Marnier the other night. Makes for a much sweeter drink than Curacao. At least, I think it did. I was drinking, see, so I don't really remember......

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-29 12:44 pm   Permalink

Just getting around to this topic. Sorry.

Quote:

On 2007-03-12 06:00, Scottes wrote:
PS: Which is better: DeKuyper's Curacao or Bols Curacao?

The main brands of Curaçao that we have here in Mongomery County, MD are Hiram Walker, DeKuyper, and Bols. Bols is the only good one IMO. The other two shouldn't be allowed on a store shelf. I'll have to check over in VA where I work. They might have others.

Quote:

On 2007-03-29 04:01, Scottes wrote:
Given that Vic used such quality ingredients in the original Mai Tai, I'd have to wonder if the DeKuyper was the same - or if the DeKuyper quality has suffered over the years.

Suffered. That's my guess. Every time I've used DeKuyper, I've suffered.

This is from the TV site in the "Real Story" section:
    During this period {mid-1950's} Trader Vic had also changed the original Orange Curacao to one produced by Bols which was more to his liking.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 1:42 pm   Permalink

I found the DeKuyper to to be the best of the cheap crap that I had.
However, that wasn't much of a fight, since the Leroux was the only other cheap Curacao, and the Allen's was the last of the cheap crap I had. DeKuyper vs either, it's no contest.

I recently purchased the Marie Brizard and Bols curacaos. I really need to re-visit this comparison. Bols vs DeKuyper, and MB vs Senior.

The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-30 06:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-29 13:42, Scottes wrote:
I recently purchased the Marie Brizard and Bols curacaos. I really need to re-visit this comparison. Bols vs DeKuyper, and MB vs Senior.

I've poured the majority of a bottle of DeKuper down the drain so it wouldn't waste space in my cabinet. I'd rather have nothing than have DeKuyper Curaçao. Instead, if I'm out of Bols, I'll hike up the RCS proportion and use a few drops of pure orange extract. Don't know anything about MB or Senior.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

Don't know anything about MB or Senior.

If DeKuyper were Bacardi Silver, Senior Curacao would be Ron Zacapa 15-year-old. Absolutely much better, but not necessarily in every cocktail.

Jamulous

Posted: 2008-01-03 10:22 am   Permalink

One major differnce in Grand Marnier is that is a base of 50% premium Cognac with 50% Orange liquor not just orange liquor such as Curacao, Triple Sec or Cointreau. This gives the drink more layers of complexity.

View Profile of Jamulous Send a personal message to Jamulous  Email Jamulous     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Cincy_Craig
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-31 10:43 pm   Permalink

I used to sell both DeKuyper & Bols when working for different distributors over the past several years. I thought that some of you might find a few things interesting:

-Both brands are made here in the USA under licence from the European owners.
-DeKuyper is made in both Bardstown, KY & Cincinnati, Oh by Jim Beam.
-Bols is distilled in Louisville, KY under licence by Brown-Forman.
-DeKuyper distills one basic liqueur, and adds purchased flavourings and colourings to make each specific product. The flavourings for all of the American DeKuyper products are all made by Givaudan (www.givaudan.com ) in Cincinnati, OH.
-Bols imports the concentrated base essences for their liqueurs from The Netherlands, which are actually made from whole fruit maceration.

IMHO, the Bols products are of higher quality than their DeKuyper counterparts. Bols' use of real fruit bases makes their flavour superior to DeKuyper, whose use of artificial flavourings detracts from their flavour. Having said that, DeKuyper outsells Bols by a wide margin, so go figure.

As a side note, some of the Marie Brizard line is imported from France, and some are made under licence in Kentucky by Jim Beam. Regardless of their point of origin, the MB liqueurs are of much higher quality than Bols, DeKuyper, Hiram Walker, etc. My main beef with MB/Jim Beam is that they charge the same (high) price for all of their items, regardless of whether they are the more expensive imported line (due to import taxes, shipping costs, Dollar/Euro exchange rate, etc.) or the cheaper domestic products. It's a dishonest practise on their part.

View Profile of Tiki_Cincy_Craig Send a personal message to Tiki_Cincy_Craig  Email Tiki_Cincy_Craig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 03:29 am   Permalink

That is interesting. Thanks for the info.

Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 04:15 am   Permalink

I agree with Scottes, very interesting info!

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation