FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Events Ľ Ľ Other Events Ľ Ľ Texas tikiphile gathering at Dallas Trader Vic's May 5th, 2007
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Texas tikiphile gathering at Dallas Trader Vic's May 5th, 2007
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-05 10:27 am   Permalink

Counting down the hours.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 07:53 am   Permalink

Great people. Great drinks. Great food. Great tiki. Great place. Just doesn't get any better.

Many Thanks to Kenike for hosting this great evening. I could tell you were often worried about how things were coming off, but really...it couldn't have been any better. Well done!

Many Thanks also to Formikahini for the fun raffle and surprise prizes. What fun!

And Thanks also to all those others that contributed, and to everyone that made this non-Texan feel very welcomed. Hope to see ya'll again someday soon.

I would post a blow-by-blow of the festivities, but I've gotta check-out and hit the road back to Houston before someone reports the car stolen.

Can't wait to see some pictures.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 6:09 pm   Permalink

What a fun time!
DEFinitely worth the drive up and back!

Thanks so much to Kenike and his lovely wahine Eva for not only making this all happen, but also for letting me crash on your futon....in Kenike's tiki room! Visions of Hawaii Kai and Port o' Call mugs danced in my head. Actually, for quite a while, because the previously mentioned coffee creme brulee had a *KICK* (thanks for reminding me to get it, Rumbuddy!)! Or maybe I was just wired from the immense fun at the beautiful Dallas Trader Vic's. Or from playing with Pepper, the World's Cutest Carolina Dingo, who narrowly escaped being grabbed and stuffed in my car for Houston.

By Kenike, not by me ("You want him? He's yours!").
But his son intervened, so I didn't get to add Pepper to my canine population.

I so enjoyed getting to see Benehune and RugbyMatt again, and to meet so many terrific TC (and non-TC) Texans (and non-Texans)! If I try to name everyone I'll miss someone, so I won't try, but I enjoyed all of you! And I look forward to the next Texas Tiki Gathering

And to the *next* Texas Trader Vic's
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dobrolic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-07 08:59 am   Permalink

Thanks to Kenike for getting this all together, and thanks to everybody for a big Texas Tiki Welcome!!

We had such a blast and enjoyed meeting everyone. A special little Mahalo from Castlehune. Thank you to Formikahini for getting the prizes together.

The trip to the storeroom was the froth on the Mai Tai. We returned to the bar after stashing our bamboo for one more round of drinks to end the night.

We'll be looking forward to the next Texas Tiki gathering!

A hui hou kakou

Dobrolic, Summer Susan and Castlehune

View Profile of Dobrolic Send a personal message to Dobrolic  Email Dobrolic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 09:57 am   Permalink

We had a great time, too. Just wanted to add our thanks to Kenike, for organizing the evening, and Formikahini for the delightful bonus of a drawing for tiki prizes.

Formikahini and Unkle John - add your own captions!

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 10:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

"Not only is it either half full or half empty, it's WATER!!"

Many many mohallos to Kenike for setting everything up and to everyone who attended our festivities. Julie and I had a blast! After dreaming of something like this for a few years it was great to see it all come together. We hope everyone enjoyed themselves and had a safe trip back home. And yes I do plan on a next Texas Tiki event! I have pics aswell I plan on sharing but it will be tonight when I get home from work when I'll have a chance to post them. Thank you everyone and we hope to see you all soon!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-05-07 10:07 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 10:17 am   Permalink

Good caption, Unkle John! Explains that look of incredulous disgust and outrage.

Kenike and Formikahini:

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 11:37 am   Permalink

JeezeÖI donít even know where to begin..

First, BIG MAHALOZ to everyone who attended. I think this is the complete list of TC folks who made it (not including spouses, guests, cute kids, pets, etc.)

Uncle John
Rugbymatt
Formikahini
Kenike
Dobrolic
Benehune
Rumbuddy
Limbo Lizard
PremEx
Gretanicole
Tikibrand

My final count was 23 people. If you couldnít make it this time, there will be LOTS more opportunities Iím sureÖhopefully soon.

And speaking of opportunities, it was wonderful to finally meet a lot of the folks Iíve been chatting with on line for the last 2-3 years. Iím really, really hoping this is the start of a bigger tiki community in TX. For the last 4 or so years Iíve been whining on TC about how nothing happens in TX and if only we had a place we could meet up, etc. Itís also an added bonus that our gatherings can attract people from outside of TX (thanks again PremEx for making the trip, and not to mention Rugbymatt who just happened to be in town!). The rumor mill is buzzing about Trader Vicís returning to Houston sometime in the future. Letís keep our fingers crossed!

Anyway, I wish I had more pictures to share but as PremEx mentioned earlier, I at times was too focused on making sure everything was running smoothly. My apologies for getting seated much later than I expected. The big party before us stayed 90 minutes longer then they anticipated which was why we were seated in the main dining room instead of back in the Puka room. The staff were great and Rachel kept the drinks and appetizers coming at the bar.

And wow!! Formikahini shows up with door prizes! What a treat...I walked away with a Hukilau tie and a 4 record box setÖnot to mention my trades from Unkle John and and a bottle of Dave & Annaís mai tai mix from Dobrolic & family. His little Castlehune is the best behaved 3 year old on the planet and stayed until the very end. My kids wouldnít have lasted 30 minutes.

In closing, thanks again to EVERYONE for making this happen. Letís do it again soon.

~K

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2007-05-07 19:11 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blixathecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-07 6:39 pm   Permalink

Texas tikiphiles!

I am so sorry I missed this event. I had a last minute emergency (took my mom to the hospital) and couldn't attend. I look forward to meeting everyone in the near future for our next event. The summer is coming ... so it's a prime to to drink up in Trader Vics and out of the Texas heat!!

Blixa the cat

View Profile of blixathecat Send a personal message to blixathecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 8:06 pm   Permalink

No worries Sean!
We'll catch ya next time.
And as promised.. more photos:

Kenike & Unkle John

Unkle John & his wahine, Aunt JuJu

JuJu kissing the keester of a menehune for goodluck.

me enjoying a Suffering Bastard in his new SB mug.

Castle-hune! She is so cute.

Calling Elvis, is there anybody home?

Cooking our meal.

Table #1

Table #2

Desert: A Polynesian Snowball & Tahitian Coffee Creme Brule'

Topping off the evening with a Black Stripe.

Anyone get any shots of the viewing of the TV tiki?

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 07:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-07 20:06, Unkle John wrote:

Anyone get any shots of the viewing of the TV tiki?

You know...now that you mention it...I don't recall seeing anyone taking pictures in there. Perhaps they were afraid their flash would awaken that sleeping giant?

But more likely, everyone had their hands full with something else.

rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 1:52 pm   Permalink

Kenike,

Mahalo brudah for organizing this butt kickin' shindig. We had a great time and I promise there are more photos to come. It was super to meet so many great folks as well as show the TV staff what the TC Ohana are all about. Our 3:30 a.m. Sunday wake up call was just wrong but you gotta do what you gotta do to get the cheap flights some time. Everything about the reborn Dallas Trader Vic's is top-shelf, food, drinks, mugs, decor, staff, et al. Mahalo to F for being the prize girl too. Hope to see some of you at Hukilau next month or Oasis in August.

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

You know...now that you mention it...I don't recall seeing anyone taking pictures in there. Perhaps they were afraid their flash would awaken that sleeping giant?

He didn't wake up, but I think the poor guy moaned a little.

He's in pretty precarious shape. I wonder if he could be impregnated with clear penetrating epoxy?

rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 08:52 am   Permalink

More photos from Saturday Night!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rumbuddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-09 8:55 pm   Permalink

Tiki Puka Puka I STILL Love You!

View Profile of Rumbuddy Send a personal message to Rumbuddy  Email Rumbuddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation