FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Surf Tiki new project... recycled bar
Surf Tiki new project... recycled bar
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 10:09 am   Permalink

If you haven't followed the tiki swap thread here is my very first stab at making tiki art. Actually, I haven't made any art since like 10th grade, which was way back in the day...trust me. Comments and critiques welcomed. It's from a recycled oak plank, about 1 foot tall.

[ This Message was edited by: Surf tiki 2007-03-25 19:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Surf Tiki 2007-04-26 20:09 ]

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 11:05 am   Permalink

SurfTiki, Not bad for your first, Much better than My first I Guarantee you that!. Keep doing more and they will get better and more detailed. Nice smooth finish too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 1:07 pm   Permalink

I've always liked the profile carvings, and your's turned out really good. It reminds me of those old "siluette" portratis from the 1800's, only tiki.

ALso, recycled wood is ALWAYS good.

Nice job, carve some more!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:03 pm   Permalink

Niiiiice, ST,
"First stab" means there's going to be a 2nd, 3rd, etc., right? One thing about your first, it can simultaneously be your best AND your worst. Leave it alone and move on to the next one. The next ones are always better than the last (most of the time)! That would look really good stained dark and mounted on a piece of lauhala with a bamboo or carved wood frame. Keep on keepin' on.
Brad

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 2:00 pm   Permalink

Nice first one! Keep posting!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 7:09 pm   Permalink

Well, you can put the Monster House DONE stamp on it. I'm pretty stoked with it, especially for a first shot.

[ This Message was edited by: Surf tiki 2007-03-25 20:38 ]

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 8:27 pm   Permalink

You SHOULD Be pretty Stoked! Excellent First tiki. I'm sure #2 will be even Better!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-26 12:28 am   Permalink

nice one surf tiki keep up the good work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 12:49 am   Permalink

Very good

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 03:35 am   Permalink

WOW-that looks really good. Sorry-I thought it was finished last time I posted. Glad you didn't listen to me and put it down and move on to the next. Hope you guys have had some good waves, it's been very nice here on FB for the past 5 days straight.
Brad

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 7:58 pm   Permalink

Looks really good - nice shape

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 8:18 pm   Permalink

New project... shipping crate bar #2 (see first one in the "post pic's of your bar here" thread).

Step 1: Work somewhere where they like to ship large things around
Step 2: Be at the right place at the right time to rescue a crate from the dumpster.
Step 3: Disassemble crate and adjust dimension to fit your needs.

Step 4: Take left over pieces and start cobbling together shelves and stuff.

I plan on wrapping the sides and front in one of those reed sunscreens like you hang on your porch. The top is under debate but may be a cool palm leaf and flower fabric I picked up on eBay. Also still debating interior color.

More to come. Hope to finish most of it this weekend...unless there are waves or bad weather.

atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-27 07:27 am   Permalink

Instead of covering it, you could add some more plain wood to the front, then stencil the nazi shipping decal from raiders of the lost ark on it. Get your blow tourch and burn of the nazi logo and then you could have a "crate of chaos" bar. You could even go so far as adding the final set of US army decals to it which my research tells me is "Top Secret Army Intel. 9906753 Do Not Open!".

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-27 08:27 am   Permalink

add a tiki biohazard symbol.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation