FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Notch's Tiki Carvings....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Notch's Tiki Carvings....
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 8:02 pm   Permalink

Ahoy TC!!!!
I just got some free 6 foot redwood logs and would like to get some info from you carvers out there?
What steps do I take before carving fresh redwood?

[ This Message was edited by: NOTCH 2007-05-13 21:24 ]

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 8:22 pm   Permalink

Aloha Notch! Its always good to seal the ends of newly cut wood in general with some kind of paint/sealer. I've been told it doesn't matter what you use, latex/oil based paint. This should be done to let the moisture out through the sides and let the wood dry slowly and lessen cracking. Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 8:31 pm   Permalink

great piece o' wood ya got there. Hope to see great things come out of that wood!

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 8:34 pm   Permalink

When can I get to Carving?

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-13 9:10 pm   Permalink

Notch - I've never carved fresh redwood, but the redwood I have carved (4x4's from HOme DEPOT) is very "flakey" inbetween the hardwood grains. Make sure your chisels are SHARP all the time. I don't know about grinding and chainsawing, but dremeling works very well on redwood too.

Will at SCtikishack in Santa Cruz (
http://www.sctikis.com ) carves big redwood exclusively with a grinder and chainsaw. He's the dude to ask about the fresh stuff. I know Aarons Akua also carved up a few pieces of redwood too - so check his thread or PM either of them.

Can't wait to see what you'll do.

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2007-03-13 21:12 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 9:20 pm   Permalink

jungle trader carves a lot of redwood.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 07:19 am   Permalink

Notch, House of Ku said it. Seal the ends. I love working with it. Let it dry slowly in the shade. For me, I like carving it green. You have the coastal influence so your summers are a lot cooler than the valley.
Do it. Dig.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 11:51 am   Permalink

like JT says cedar is easier to carve wet or green but needs to be sealed on the ends to reduce cracking.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 1:27 pm   Permalink

Notch,

I love carving redwood wet. Quite often, I carve them wet on purpose to ensure that the sapwood has no dry rot. If the rings are nice and tight(with rings less than 1/8in apart) you have nothing to worry about because they don't split much. However, if it was a tree grown in the city it probably has rings closer to 1/2 in or an inch apart and the log will develop large cracks.

I would go ahead and carve them. Just don't leave them in the sun and give them a good watering once in a while if you aren't going to seal them right away. If you are going to carve then immediately seal, it will make the log dry slowly and there is no issue.

Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 6:09 pm   Permalink

Awesome!!! Thank you guy's for all the info!!! I will post some pics of my progress... Mucho Mahaloz!!!

[ This Message was edited by: NOTCH 2007-03-14 18:44 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 6:16 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see what you do with it, your work is awesome

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-18 12:53 pm   Permalink

I just went ahead and started cutin, Here's a picture of some progress..... got's more detail to do it before i call it done..

[ This Message was edited by: NOTCH 2007-03-18 12:54 ]

Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 10:33 am   Permalink

I am thrilled and honored to say that NOTCH's tiki has arrived safe and sound to Lund Manor. Holy $#!%, it's got so much power and serenity, like a spring-loaded Tiki trap just waiting to open a can of whoop@$$ on whoever crosses him. We couldn't ask for a better protector for our a little piece of tropical paradise.

Now where's that photo cable?....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 12:18 pm   Permalink

Nice tiki...Have to offer, even being already carved, if it's a green log, hit both of those cut ends with a gardener's pruning sealer. It'll dry a lot more evenly that way. Logs lose 70 percent of their moisture through the cut ends. The more you can slow that process, the fewer the chances of bad checking.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 4:12 pm   Permalink

Although not in his final seat of honor, here's Biff (as he was so named at FI last Saturday) hanging out at Hinky Drinks (waiting for it to open?):

and a closer image of his face:

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation